Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19 - REVIVE

Dylan-and-Lizette0
Level 5
Scottsdale, AZ

Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19 - REVIVE

Reviving this thread as it needs to be brought to the attention of everyone within the community and addressed by AirBNB. The thread was closed by @Stephanie in London, GB as she sees the discussion as a violation of the community guidelines, however clearly trying to sweep our testimonies under the rug and censor our opinions.

The original thread is listed here. https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-completely-threw-their-hosts-under-a-bus-regardin...

Please feel free to continue the discussion, post your experiences and share how Airbnb completely threw their hosts under a bus regarding Covid-19.

43 Replies 43
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

-

@Dylan-and-Lizette0 

Bravo!

There are certain types of contributors on this forum who cannot stand the thought of someone disagreeing them and they harangue the moderators to shut a thread down.

Contributors on the forum drive the shutting down of threads not moderators. Moderators respond to forum contributors who whine to them about somebody writing something that disagrees with them. They are petty and childish and generally are gender sorted.

It is clear on this thread that Donald 28 was the person who was irritating people on the thread and they complained to the moderators about him and got the thread shut down: it is that simple.

Moderators do not actively read or moderate live threads. They respond to complaints.  

I am against moderators shutting down threads for this reason. I think people should be able to fight it out as long as it takes: a thread will eventually sort itself out.

-

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

OK, dying to know...what is “gender sorted”?

_

@Pat271 

It is easy to discern, if you take the time, by reading the last 4 or 5 pages of the thread in question to see who sorted themselves into whiners to shut the thread down because they did not like Donald28 's postings.

This happens often on this forum under the guise of community guidelines, but it's really about people who can't tolerate being disagreed with, and I consider it unfortunate, but they tellingly often sort themselves by gender.  It's a part of the human condition. 

Let threads play out and everyone grow up.

It's happened twice since Monday.

Some people can't stand the idea of 'Free Speech"

-

@John1574 After combing through your double-talk, I’m assuming what you are saying is that women are whiners and can’t tolerate being disagreed with.  That’s quite a generalization.  If this isn’t what you meant, please accept my apologies.

In thinking about those who always have to be right, as well as those who are upset and up in arms about Airbnb’s actions during this COVID-19 crisis, I have not seen a distinction between men and women.  Seems pretty equally divided to me.

-

@Pat271 

I accept your apology.

What you imply would be a gross generalization and a stereotyping of females.

i'm referring to the social dynamics of the two threads I know of this week that were shut down by moderators.

The thread that is the topic of this thread and this one: 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Coronavirus-fear-vs-reality/td-p/1258181

People self-sort into groups all the time. It's a readily observable phenomenon in the social sciences and in psychology.

-

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@John1574 @Dylan-and-Lizette0  I think you've misunderstood why the post was shut down! It was not that a certain view was promoted by @Stephanie the moderator, nor that she was censoring opinions, but that SOME opinions were being expressed in an inappropriate, disrespectful manner... That's how I interpreted it, just before, during & after the 'shutdown'! Regarding Donald28, I sometimes  agreed with him very much, tho' not always with the way he expressed himself, & sometimes I disagreed with him very much! So I'm not sure which camp you'd put me into! 

I frequently disagreed with Donald28 over misinterpretation / mis-comprehension of the English language - not Airbnb politics - and I think I'm disagreeing with your interpretation of the prose in question too! Semantics, rather than content. : )

-

@Helen350 

I think the thread was shut down because some of the participants complained to the moderators about what they saw as "inappropriate behavior."  And, as I said, the moderators, under the guise of "community guidelines" shut the thread down. That is my understanding of it, but if you want to imply that my understanding is a misunderstanding that is your prerogative, and that is certainly one way of looking at it. I guess I saw the dynamics differently. I don't think Donald28 asked the moderator to shut the thread down, but I think other participants did.

Thank you, gentle reader.

-

Helen350
Level 10

@John1574 Who knows?!! : )

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Helen350 and @John1574 ,

We have been reading and feeding back all threads around the Covid-19 EC update with a magnifying glass. I made the decision to close it as it was clear there were personal attacks which you can refer back to as the thread is not hidden. As the community manager of the EN Community Center, I do what's best for the health of the members overall. 

This is why we have created a place for people to share their concerns and complaints regarding the Covid-19 EC: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/COVID-19-Discussions/bd-p/COVID-19

But, when users feel they cannot express their opinion without being attacked by other users I take appropriate action. If you would like to know more about my decision making, you are more than welcome to message me.

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen350
Level 10

@Stephanie I was always in agreement with your stance & knew exactly where you were coming from!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen350 ! 

-----

@Stephanie I don't see why you simply wouldn't just block/ban the user, rather than close an entire thread where the other participants are clearly contributing valid information. Makes no sense... but neither does the Airbnb Extenuating circumstances policy and the coronavirus,  I should expect anything less from an Airbnb "Online Community Manager". Sad

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I am with @Helen350  . Sorry, I do not agree with  @Dylan-and-Lizette0  and @John1574

Most of the internet flaming occurs not cos of the subject, but cos of the way some poster write his thougths, in most of cases to show off or attack someone.

I understand that personal attack is not allowed, not only in this community, but also in the great majority of communities in the internet.
I understand your point, @Stepanie  and sometimes it is necessary to close a thread when some topic becomes a battle field. Certainly you did the right thing to do.

If I may offer some suggestion about this type os situation, I think that the CMs should name and shame the ones who was behaving wrongly. So the other community members would understand what happend. ( Or at least send a warning via private message).

In some cases it would be necessary only to erase the posts of the ones who was involved in personal attacks and save the thread.

If most of the posts of the topic are pure personal attack... than the entire thread should be closed.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @J-Renato0 ,

Thanks for your support and feedback. When a user or users break the guidelines we do message them explaining why content is removed or edited. In this case, the quantity was large enough that I left the public note (as well as DMing a few of the users). If content or a user is "flagged to moderator" or you drop me a message about some content that is troubling you, myself or Lizzie/Quincy will let you know what we are going to do about it! 

As a rule, we do not publicly notify when a user has been banned as it is a last resort after trying to come to some way of moving forward with the user. I don't think it's positively beneficial to make an announcement when a user departs but if users have personally raised concerns about the user they will be in the loop.

Generally, discussing CM action is not publicly practiced on the majority of forums around the globe, including edits, removal and such. We just think explaining why we have done these acts where possible helps to move forward in a way where we don't have to do it as frequently. 

Thanks again,

Stephanie

-----