Airbnb deleted my public response

Gaspar-J0
Level 2
Cartagena, Colombia

Airbnb deleted my public response

I had a terribly abusive guest who brought someone along with him and refused to pay for the extra person he had staying with him. I had to get Airbnb involved and I was close to calling the police, he insulted me in writing and of course threatened me with and delivered a bad review. I wrote a detailed reply to his review but recently I have realized that I will only see my response if I look at my listing from my account. If I look at my listing from any other computer, his review is there with all its poison and none of my contrasting words are anywhere to be seen.  I have not been told, nor warned nor explained at any moment about this, and I find it really deceiving and unsopportive by airbnb to behave like that. Once again,  hosts, the bricks and mortar of their business, are being taken for granted and exposed to the maliciousness of any passing person. 

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Gaspar-J0  When you respond to a guest review the audience are potential guests so your response to a review needs to keep that in mind.  Long, defensive responses are not usually positive.  You have a great number of listings and many reviews.  When you respond to a review it is an opportunity to demonstrate how professional and caring you are.  Demeaning the guest or being defensive does not accomplish that.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gaspar-J0

Gaspar, so sorry mate you have got embroiled in a shady guest like this! We all live in fear of striking this sort of thing.

Firstly Gaspar, your public review response will appear directly under the guests review on your page, and the guest will have the opporunity to leave a public response to your review which will show on his review page under your review of him.

You have to be careful what you say in your review Gaspar. Airbnb do have a content policy and if you get too personal, or go too far with any accusations of the guest, they can apply to Airbnb to have the review (or your review response)  removed....and it does happen often. The guest gets all uppety about something the host has said, complained to CX and the next thing you know, the review is gone.

Unfortunately Airbnb do operate to a double standard here. they give more leniency to a guests comment than to a hosts. They will say the guests comments were their perception and perfectly allowable, where the hosts comments were defametory and remove them!

All though you need to warn tye community and get this off your chest....be general Gaspar and just say....."Guests attention to house rules was poor, we did have some difficulty and although I wish the guest well for the future I would decline the opportunity to host again and I do not recommend this guest to other hosts." give the guest 2 stars and a thumbs down...that's all you need to do Gaspar, we all know what that means!

I hope this can help you a bit Gaspar. You may feel if you have been unduly wronged you can apply to CX to have his review removed but if you decide to do that ask, nicely, don't start bouncing them, it will get you a more favourable hearing if you are pleasant to them.

All the best mate!

Cheers.....Rob

Given the recorded conversation, the insults, and the threats, I did try to have the review removed but airbnb didnt want to. They couldnt care less. 
Lets discuss something else, I had someone stay with me, the first night he brought someone for sex into our house in the middle of the night (he left some used condoms in the room for us to find)  putting everyone at risk at home, and the next morning he said he didnt like our place and wanted a full refund, which I refused. Of course he threatened me with and delivered a bad review, and I reviewed him, detailing his behavior and  including the useful information for other hosts.... that you could go-ogle his name (without giving it)  and see his mugshot, as he had three trials pending, one for batery, one for bodily harm and one for strangulation. Shortly after Airbnb deleted my review in his profile and his is still in mine.
That is how much BNB cares for the safety of its host...

I hear you mention  the word "Proffesional" but from my dealings with BNB most of the times the interaction is anything but, and they are the ones taking a cut every step of the way. . We are being held hostage by the reviews, I had someone make a third party booking a couple of days ago, which is not allowed, and I could not refuse them entry, as I just didnt want to risk another bad review. 
Lastly, I will explain how despite the thousands of hosts and travellers that are in Colombia, Airbnb so far has refused to set up a local telephone line, something that, for a company with over 2 billion in revenue last year, would cost next to nothing. So we are advised to make an expensive long distance call to either the US or Spain if we ever need to get hold of them. Are we paying any less comission that Mexican, Argentinian or Brazilian hosts?  Why are we getting a substandard service?  This is active international discrimination, and it is wrong.