Airbnb does not care about hosts

Olzhas0
Level 6
New York, NY

Airbnb does not care about hosts

Something so obvious to most of you. Airbnb is ridiculous. I don’t know how to express what I feel about their ‘Help center’. Maybe we should all stop hosting and they will realize how important we, hosts, are. Everytime they say ‘it’s ok, your overall 5-star review percentage is still high enough’, I ask them if they realize what it takes to keep it that high. I’m so disappointed because the owners of this business do not realize that it’s us, hosts, who make their business grow. And they could be just a bit more considerate and use just a little less ‘we can’t do that’. They put us in tough conditions and the only way for us to be satisfied is the way out of Airbnb. And tge funny thing is they wouldn’t care if you quit. For them it’s just business, nothing personal, no human values. I’m not sure if I should be hosting any longer

36 Replies 36
Ryan93
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Unfortunately just had the same experience. Had the place cleaned by a family cleaning staff who confirmed the place was cleaned. The guests arrive and say it is not clean. Airbnb confirms guests cancellation but won't provide any evidence ( apperently the guest provided pictures but AIRBNB refuses to provide them). Prior to this I have a 5 star rating with over 20 bookings. Now I am going to receive a negative review and cancellations fees probably because the guest just didn't like the place or it was too buggy. I wouldn't mind if AIRBNB would actually provide proof of what the guest was talking about. I doubt Airbnb will even give a **bleep** about this but I figure doing nothing is worse. In over 20 bookings I've never had a problem. 

Peter1053
Level 2
Rochon Sands, Canada

Agree with all of you.  Airbnb is a complete joke.  No words can describe my disappointment with this site!

Sheila-and-Malky0
Level 1
Upper Breakish, United Kingdom

They stopped our payments a week a go due to their joke verification process. It is not working but every person we speak to is useless and does not help. They just tell us to click on links which don’t work . If they hold on to millions of money every week in this way surely it is a scam to make interest on all our money while their case manager Russel was a cretin. 

Rory59
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Airbnb host support is a joke . The people that answer the phone are just meant to divert you and get you off the phone . You cannot get to anyone that can help and listen to what is going on or that has the power to do anything . It is setup this way on purpose .  I have had such bad experiences over the past 4 years with Airbnb and there non-existent host support trying to resolve issues . You can call 100 times and explain yourself 100 times and never get a problem resolved . Airbnb response is they are in a different department and cannot communicate with you. If they do it’s not a communication it just a one way email that they will not respond to .   I have multiple properties and have seen it all . I though they would get better as a company as they grew, but this has not happen . Host provide the service and Airbnb is a service we use . They work for host as a booking service . You would think they would treat the host better and resolve issues when they arise as we can take the service we provide to any platform if the customer service is not there . What are other hosts thoughts on this ? If I could rate Airbnb host customer service is would be 1 out of 5 stars on multiple occasions. 

We have had the same experience with Airbnb service.  We have booked and taken several airbnb trips, but never had a problem or reason to use their support services.  In short, they don't have any support services. They have a call center that is geared towards booking more business and can quickly find you places to stay if you are in need of that.  But if you have an actual problem while on a vacation, the support service line 855-424-7262 is a total run-around.  The "case workers" don't actually help you, don't seem to actually contact the host, and are not empowered to make any decision.  We had a 9 day stay in a place that was not as advertised - no on-site parking, not beachfront, A/C only in one bedroom, wifi didn't work, not clean, little hot water, the list goes on and on.  We made a complaint and request to move on day 1.  On day 6 in the morning, after 14 hours of no internet and another morning of cold showers, we made a decision to move.  We have been pursuing a refund and we continue to get put off, asked for our details again and again, asked for pictures we have already sent, etc.  The support is there to book more business, not to solve your problems. 

To save anyone else headaches, if you see any negative comments from guests, read them and take them seriously.  You will likely have similar problems.  After booking we saw a bad review.  We should have just cancelled and rebooked elsewhere.  There are plenty of good hosts and a few bad ones.  The one bad one we have run into is in Montechiaro, Italy near Sorrento.  His name is Roberto Esposito.  His place is currently named Emilia Sorrento Coast. My name is Tony Stinsa.  If you run into a bad host, a listing in error, a bad experience, just know Airbnb is not goign to help you, other than to try to book your next stay.

Josh97
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

I have a very high traffic house in downtown San Antonio ans it's been very difficult for me to deal with them.  I don't want to go into the stories but all they care about is closing the case and getting it off their desk.  They definitely side with the guests more than the hosts.  Unfortunately, they have the market locked up to the point that they can do whatever they want.  They don't care about the hosts at all.  The one thing that disappoints me the most is that guests can threaten to leave bad reviews if you don't refund them money.  I have no problem refunding money if it's something I can't fix but I always fix it right away.  The problem I have is when guests stay the whole time, say nothing, then ask for a refund after they check out.  It's not fair.  I've brought this to their attention twice and got nothing.  They simply do not care about hosts.  There has to be a reason for it.  I think they think that if there's enough demand the supply will create itself.  Good for economics 101 but not real life.  I'm hoping the crappy way they treat hosts will lead to a viable second option that isn't HomeAway.

Hi Josh,

Ugh Airbnb is the worst!... but I feel I am at their mercy with all the properties I manage.  Lately their allowance of negative/lying reviews and denial of large resolution claims has really gotten under my skin!

What other hosting options do we have though?  Any luck on your end?

and I just realized I am logged in on one of my new owners accounts...she luckily has had no issues!

Mark2959
Level 2
Asheville, NC

I am sorry to have been reading all of this about Airbnb and I am now going thru the same **bleep**.  Idiot guests lying about 8 guests ( reserved for 3 ) and making up some bull**bleep** about "dangerous animals" and airbnb sides with them.   They also broke a few things.  After talking to 5 customer service people and 3 case managers and after 6 days, still no payment, no resolution.  they do not call back-it is not their protocol. 

Am joining this conversation late, but I agree with the issues mentioned by earlier posters as AirBNB has a definition of community that is biased against the host.  AirBNB's latest extenuating circumstances policy is a good example of that as the policy gives a green light to guests to cancel their reservations, regardless of whether they are affected by the Covid-19 situation, personally or domestically.  When asked about the revision to their extenuating circumstances policy published 14 Mar 2020, AirBNB's response was the policy was introduced to protect the AirBNB community through the Covid-19 crisis.  Obviously, AirBNB's community does not include protecting the hosts' rights as well.  Whilst I appreciate the need to respond to the Covid-19 crisis as a community, AirBNB's policy has basically resulted in wholesale cancellation by people who have made reservations, and who are not necessarily affected by Covid-19 in their locality.  Some of these guests are now able to re-book at a lower rate in the current environment, notwithstanding that they have held on to some of the earlier reservations for months or weeks ahead.  The hosts are then left to carry the loss of keeping their accommodation reserved for guests, who now have the right to cancel at the eleventh hour.

I echo Josh97's sentiment in that I hope the crappy way they treat hosts will lead to other viable platforms in time to come that will enable hosts to migrate away from AirBNB.

Joseph353
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I am waiting for the competition to come into full force. I believe they are trying to get a valuation to go public and at this point they are trashing their host.

Agreed. Airbnb more and more treats hosts as employees and my home as theirs. Couple places where they cross the line:

1. Scolding hosts for a single bad review from a first time, disaster, guest for an otherwise 5 star property.

2. Needing an explanation and threatening consequences for not wanting to host a guest based on their responses. If I don't trust it, I have a right not to host.

3. Forcing me to wear a covid facemasks,: agree or not, especially for existing bookings this is simply overstepping authority, its my house, this is what government is for.

4. Directly submitting tourism taxes to governments rather than letting host do this. That's employer stuff.

5. Now planning to make revenue information on specific properties  available to governments. Again, employers can do this but I am not an airbnb employee.

VRBO is a decent alternative, more expensive but less mingling in your affairs. Best thing is still to direct-book; yes you have no "host protection" but airbnbs damage protection is, as most of you say, entirely skewed towards guest advantage anyway. Cheers all, happy renting!

Hi,

Do you have any advice on going direct-book?  How to get the customers?  Own booking website??

I manage multiple properties/different states so not sure that would be in my best time interest...but Airbnb is NOT happening!  Could not agree more with your post!

Carolyn688
Level 1
Nogales, AZ

How do I begin? I hope someone is paying attention.

I just went to a recent and lengthy Help session I had with “Eric” in the Support. His final message was that I had not responded to HIS message, and he closed the ticket. I wish I could again contact him to continue the conversation. I was not able to do so immediately because I'd had to spend so much time over the week trying to resolve the problem with Airbnb that I needed to take care of other matters that had been put off. But I have what I think is important feedback. I have, until fairly recently, been a very satisfied Airbnb host. But that changed, and I have deactivated my rentals because of difficulties that I attribute directly to a couple of things:

1. Changes in the way the Airbnb platform works

2. The way the Support Center does not work to actually help people and resolve problems

Typical of the second, there is no way for me to get back in touch with Eric — a supervisor — to have communication with him about this. But perhaps that is better. Maybe someone higher up will pay attention.

1.  THE PLATFORM

When I started with Airbnb many years ago, I took our properties off the Homeaway.com sites because of pressures and practices that I felt were invasive and directed more at increasing corporate profits that taking care of renters and hosts, who are, of course, the generators of those profits. I loved working with Airbnb because the platform was simple, clear, and easy to manipulate and it was easy to manage rentals and feel fairly compensated.

It is probably important to state that I use Airbnb for both the rental of three apartments AND for my own travel needs. I the past, on the platform, I was able to switch between HOSTING and TRAVELING and have a clean experience in either one. Now, when I am attempting to find information, it will automatically switch back and forth. When I click on information about Payouts, for example, that comes up under “Traveling,” which makes on sense, because payouts go to hosts. So if I click on “Switch to Hosting,” all the information about payouts disappears. It’s an infinite (ineffective) loop.

This example is provided by my attempt to figure out how Mexican taxes are being applied to my rental income. A little history: The rental portion of my Airbnb is in Mexico and officially belongs to a Mexican Corporation, Tierra de Tortugas, SA de CV. I am the administrator and manage the rentals. All Airbnb payments go into a Mexican PayPal account which is directly linked to the corporation's Mexican bank account so that our accountant can make sure all income is reported and taxes paid. I gain no personal income from these transactions, so it does not in any relate to taxes in the United States, and I have no personal tax ID filed with Airbnb.

When a few weeks ago Airbnb began sending reports about Mexican taxes collected, I could understand that things were changing in Mexico for Airbnb. But I had registered our corporate tax ID in 2018, or so I thought. I even checked it out on my settings and it appeared to be registered. As it turns out, it had not been completed. That was so long ago that I have no idea what might have happened. And now is when the matter of your Help Center and Support comes in.

I immediately tried to read everything Airbnb provided regarding taxes. I spent hours on the platform and found very confusing or no information. I called for Support two times, and the first time was told that Airbnb would be charging my renters the 16% IVA (Value Added Tax) and 2% ISH (Lodging Tax) appropriate to Sonora but that Airbnb would pay that to me and I would be responsible for remitting it to the government. Seemed strange, especially since the messages I would get from Airbnb with new reservations said Airbnb would "remit this tax on your behalf." So I tried to find information about the taxes in the State of Sonora applied to Airbnb, but could not — lots of other states, but not Sonora. So I waited to see how it would work.

Then the messages about payouts began to get very, very confusing. With a new reservation request, there would be one amount given as "You will earn..." And at the bottom of the reservation,  it would say, "Your guest paid $xxxx  in Occupancy Taxes. Airbnb remits these taxes on your behalf." Well, Occupancy Taxes is a misnomer because the amount shown as "Occupancy Taxes" is always 16%, which is really the amount of Value Added Taxes. But trying to understand the tax reports was impossible. It was not clear 1) what my guest would be paying (which I think it is my right to know), 2) minus Airbnb's fees to me and the renter, 3) minus whatever taxes, properly named, were deducted, 4) where those taxes went, and 5) what would be my bottom-line payout. I'm not an accountant, but I've been running businesses since 1979, and I've frankly never seen such a mess.

Now, I'll again say that I understand that things can be difficult when you are required to address things like collecting and paying taxes in new ways dozens of different countries. It's understanding that it might take a while to sort things out. But now we get to the serious part about Airbnb's Support system,

CUSTOMER SUPPORT:

1. It is far too complicated to get in touch with a human being to ask a question. 

Airbnb has many documents/information pieces/resources... But when I type in a REAL question and then must read through half a dozen offerings, that more often than not do NOT address my specific question, before I can get in line for a phone call or chat that may take considerable waiting before getting a human, it is just wrong. 

2. You very nice Customer Support people try very hard, but too often they are no better at figuring out the problem than I am! They ARE good about thanking me for being a Super Host and devoting so much time to taking care of my guests. And they are good at saying that they will help me resolve my issue. But then it gets complicated and they can't. I can understand, again, that some things are very complicated. I greatly value honest communication, and that includes admitting when something is difficult or not clear, even to the agent, and that it needs to be figured out. And that might include digging into my listing and settings and account information to see if where a problem lies. A case in point: As I said, I thought I had registered my Mexican Corporation's tax ID in 2018. In all the hours I spent with Support people this past week, on the phone and messaging, I must have mentioned that a dozen times. No one ever checked and alerted me that my registration had not gone through properly. That would have been hugely helpful.

If a Support employee is insufficiently trained to handle complex issues and  can't answer the question adequately, she/he should be allowed/required to pass it up to someone of higher authority and/or more knowledge. 

SOME FINAL COMMENTS:

I'm taking time to provide this feedback because I care and want to be responsible. I see in the Community Center that I am not the only unhappy Host. That is really too bad. We hosts are the people who make money for you. 

It seems like you are spending way too much time coming up with bright new ideas for new things you can do with Airbnb and far too little time must paying attention to the basic business that made you so popular. You are losing hosts. I have deactivated my listings and will totally remove them once all my reservations via Airbnb have been fulfilled. I will find another way to rent my properties that will 1) be more personally oriented, 2) cost my guests less, 3) bring me better income, and 4) do it in a way that is transparent and legally compliant. 

I wish all this were different. You are spoiling a very good thing.

A FORMER SUPER HOST 

**Duplicate content removed 

Good for you!  I could not agree more with your post and the treatment or lack of knowledge I have received from the Airbnb side.

What do you plan to do?  I manage multiple properties in different states (I'm originally from Phoenix area though)..... I am just so frustrated with Airbnb's review policy (entitled guests giving complete lie 1 star reviews) AND their resolution claim process which is NOT a host guarantee.  They side with the renter when the renter clearly disrespected and trashed our home.

Where else to go though!?