Airbnb does not care about hosts

Olzhas0
Level 6
New York, NY

Airbnb does not care about hosts

Something so obvious to most of you. Airbnb is ridiculous. I don’t know how to express what I feel about their ‘Help center’. Maybe we should all stop hosting and they will realize how important we, hosts, are. Everytime they say ‘it’s ok, your overall 5-star review percentage is still high enough’, I ask them if they realize what it takes to keep it that high. I’m so disappointed because the owners of this business do not realize that it’s us, hosts, who make their business grow. And they could be just a bit more considerate and use just a little less ‘we can’t do that’. They put us in tough conditions and the only way for us to be satisfied is the way out of Airbnb. And tge funny thing is they wouldn’t care if you quit. For them it’s just business, nothing personal, no human values. I’m not sure if I should be hosting any longer

36 Replies 36

@Olzhas0

You are expressing what a lot of hosts, including us, are feeling. The fact you are working so hard for the 5 star reviews by yet have no support from Airbnb when it is needed. And you are right that removing your listing(s) is not going to make them change at all. Late last, year we took some time to consider what we were going to do as we had some minor issues with guests, and more-so were feeling burnt out. Our solution is to move on from Airbnb and look for a nitch that will suit us for still renting the space.

Two major decisions was to sign up with the competition. We do not expect much business with them but was just want to get the listing out there. The 2nd, and more important, was to realized that for us longer term rentals were better. Since we live close to 3 colleges/universities, 4 large industrial parks, and several hospitals we are actively advertising on professional/medical staff websites and facebook. Via Airbnb, we are booked through beginning of August, and we will keep our listing up on Airbnb for references but will no longer accept any requests unless they are long term. This may not be the solution for some hosts as we do not have to share our space but maybe it is time to see if there are alternatives for you to rent your space.

After feeling burnt out we ended up having some really nice guests and that help us gear up to continue. I am not sure what we would have done without their thoughtful reviews and kind appreciation. I read your first few reviews and you are really well-liked hosts. Maybe you can find the right place for you to list.

Best of luck.

I share the feeling that AIRBNB, originally such a great concept of community etc., has only one focus remaining, namely $$$$$$$$$$$

Try to contact them, you are referred to 100 help centers, never a telephone nr, never even a simple way to correspond (costs money). Contact us if your question not answered, but how in the world to do this? Where is integrity? Where is host help?  It is only airbnb help. 

You are 200% right. Things will not change...sadly

Thank you so much for the advice. I’ve thought of something similar. I do enjoy hosting and meeting new people. I’ve always been a Geography guy. I love traveling as well so Airbnb looked like a great way to combine these things...you all know the rest of the story

Thank you for this suggestion. Recently  a bunch of girls threw a party at our house causing $4100 damage and against airbnb's "global ban on parties" policy. I contacted them right away and did not hear from thenm until I wrote an email to Brian Chesky. I was not even given a chance to upload my evidence which was in video format due to the extent of it. Four weeks later I am sent an email from claims stating that my case has been dismissed since I did not meet their "mystery criteria". I worked so hard to buy this first house which was very expensive. I just feel beaten down by the airbnb system and their lack of support to their hosts. Surely if everyone leaves them their system will collapse?

I stayed up until 11:30 last night working on my NEW VRBO listing! 

Desiree0
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

Yeap, agreed.. Support gets worst and worst.

Yasmin56
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I’ve just had a terrible experience hosting with Airbnb. I’m completely new to host my  apartment on Airbnb and I had my  very first guests today and it was a disaster!   Im really upset about it .  To summarise guests arrived , supposed to be 3 , I have a 1 bed apartment , sleeps 3 max  , double bed and 1 sofa bed. I was at work ,I  allowed them early check in  the  key was in the lockbox . 

I chek via text all ok with  guests , I plan to pop over later . No reply .Next , I get a call from Airbnb saying the guests are complaining , saying the tv doesn’t work , windows don’t open . I know this isn’t true as they were working  fine the day before when I thoroughly cleaned the flat , in addition to this they say there is dust and the daughter has a dust allergy so can’t stay at the apartment and demand a full refund . I know this a complete exaggeration as I cleaned everything myself , they were complaining about a couple of leaves flown in from the garden . 

Air bnb basically side with the guests saying they are going to give them a full refund . 

I then went round to the apartment later in the  evening to my surprise I see 4 adults there , mum , son and 2 daughters ( grown up kids - early twenties) and about 6 huge suitcases . My apartment would clearly only sleep 3 max , maybe a couple in the double bed and a friend on the sofa . I feel they wanted something really cheap and realised when they got there the sleeping arrangements would not work, so they tried it on and Air bnb and they fell for it sided with them every step of the way . I don’t think they should have got a full refund , if this had been a hotel they would never of been refunded and if they turned up with 4 guests instead of 3 they wouldn't even get past reception . 

It’s not a good start I just hope the next guests are not like this . Airbnb treat hosts like crap !

@Yasmin56I agree Airbnb puts guests before hosts.  Guests pay a larger fee for the booking than Airbnb fee collected from the host.  I have had guests cancel at the last minute and Airbnb still wanted me to agree to a full refund for the guest.  If I were to cancel a reservation on such short notice, all hell would break loose.  With regards to your guests exceeding your maximum occupancy, I ALWAYS meet my guests in person at check-in.    We walk the property together and I hand them a printed copy of the house rules and verbally remind them of the no smoking, no pets and so on.  If you can't be there yourself because of work schedule, ask a friend or nieghbor to do the check-in for you. 

Yasmin, best of luck with your following guests from Airbnb!

Hi Jasmin, 

Hope you are doing well. 

I'm an Airbnb host, but also a Senior Lecturer and researcher at Leeds Beckett University. 
I am currently conducting a research project on Airbnb in London and Barcelona to map all stakeholders’ opinions and experiences. The study will inform local and European policy.

I'm running a group interview (6-8 people) with hosts in London next Tuesday 10th July at 6 pm:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/meetups/xppmexfsh-london-hosts-meetup-academic-research

I'd like to hear more about your Airbnb experiences. 

Hope you can come to the meeting!

Best wishes, 

Cristina

Hi Cristina, just wanted to bookmark your post. If this study is still on, I would love to provide you with some excellent material.

Same thing happened to me, screwed over by guests, they slept the free night and called really late in the morning so they would get full refund, it is ridicolous. To add, they also broke my stuff, and still Airbnb sides with them, I got not ONE penny. What a pathetic way to run a business! Still 48 hours and my "case manager" hasn't called me.

Julie282
Level 3
Auckland, New Zealand

It's simple supply and demand. There is no shortage of hosts, so therefore no need for Airbnb to look after them. As a host you're disposable; if you quit nobody cares. On the other hand there's a lot of competition for guests, so Airbnb values guests.