Airbnb does not protect you from damage or awful guests - Here’s what to do to protect yourself

Heather1338
Level 3
Hagerstown, MD

Airbnb does not protect you from damage or awful guests - Here’s what to do to protect yourself

We hosted the guests from hell who totally trashed our house, stole things, and broke every rule including having a party. We documented everything they did and got a cleaning quote for a deep clean, and submitted it on the last day possible because it took that long to get everything together and airbnb took 3 days to get back to me and said it was outside of the claim date when their poor customer service took that many days to respond. We took our listing down for many months as we were so mad but eventually put it up with some new protections of our own in place that airbnb does not give you tips for because they only care about making money.

Here’s what we did that has really helped not getting those awful guests and has worked for us in the last year -

Raised our prices

Raised our minimum stay

Lowered our maximum guests

Charge $10 pp for guests over 4

Turned off auto book and decline shady inquiries

Install a front door camera so you can see if extra people outside of the reservation are coming

Left a notice about $250 cleaning fee for leaving it in a poor condition

DECLINE ALL LOCAL GUESTS (these have been everything from prostitutes, drug dealers, and people looking for a place to party) 

And most importantly, check the condition immediately after the guest checks out and start a claim right away.

Air bnb doesn’t care it takes time to notice things are missing or find new damage, they care about themselves and making money, not you as a host or your place.

46 Replies 46

@Wende2  aw, I am so sorry you are having bad guests too! These seem to be dire times for Maryland hosts.

I would say something like this in your review:

"Though they were pleasant to communicate with, these guests booked for 3 and arrived with 5 in our one bedroom space. Cleanup took a lot of extra time and the space was left in very poor shape. House rules were not followed with regard to smoking on the property. We do not recommend these guests and they are not eligible to return to our space."

Then rate below 3 in all categories and press the "would not host again" button. Best to keep your review brief and unemotional. 

@Laura2592   Thanks for the reply.  I've had hunters from Pa, Va, and others from NJ,  no one left the place looking like this, the pillows really ticked me off.  Most of the time you'd never know anyone stayed other than trash in the can, bed and daybed looking slept in.  I sent pix to a friend around the corner, including his profile so she knows to decline if she wants.

@Laura2592   I'm actually surprised he left a review.!

Excellent place to stay, very clean and great setup. Location is great and place is very nice!! Wende is very helpful and accommodating. She was very easy to work with and very helpful w any questions we had! Will definitely stay again in the future!

I guess he could always get someone else to book it, hope my honest review doesn't have them leaving it in even worse condition.  Just thought of that  =^\

@Wende2 you said 'I know ABnB "claims" only reviews that have been submitted by both parties will go public'

Well that isn't true. Airbnb are very clear that any reviews that are given post after 14 days unless both parties review in which case they post immediately.

@Mike-And-Jane0   The way I took it, only after both have left a review, in which both parties have 14 days to do so, only then will the review go public.  I guess it doesn't matter.

@Wende2  No, all reviews are published, regardless of whether both parties leave a review or not.

And it does matter, because hosts who have that false notion about reviews will decline to leave a review for a bad guest, thinking that means the guest's review won't appear. In which case, the host has failed to warn other hosts about an objectionable guest.

@Sarah977   In my case of not leaving a review I thought I was actually protecting myself from getting dinged with the stars, over a moth they probably let in, and who doesn't know what a moth looks like.  Some guests don't bother to go on maps and check my address with where they intend to visit, I had one leave it in a review to book a fishing trip, with a link to the website, the trip is an hr from me in a well known tourist area, pretty sure if anyone thinks that's a great idea, they won't be staying here.  Another booked for a golf tournament, again did not check my location, that was an hr away, he gave 3 stars for location, that should not be a star rating, in my opinion.  Had someone tell people if you're coming to visit the Harriet Tubman museum to only come the weekend, it's not opened thru the week.  I'm sure people will come for all the other things this area has to offer, but come on, don't be putting people off in a review.  I do leave an honest review and tell them in the private comment why, and the lack of respect to be in someone's place are the ones that get under my skin.

Fernando1561
Level 5
Sarasota, FL

what about the secure deposit? it works for claims against property damages or cleaning issues?

@Fernando1561 no it doesn't really exist. 

Security deposits are never collected. You could have 2million on your listing and would never see a penny unless the guest AGREES to let you collect against it. Airbnb gets involved if the guest says they refuse the damage and they arbitrate. Most often that is in the guest's favor.

Many threads on this. Its a psychological deterrent if anything. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

We’re really pleased to share some details with you that were recently announced. All Hosts will soon have access to Aircover, a free top-to-cover protection. 

As always, Host feedback is very much appreciated, so please let us know how you like the new service by sharing your thoughts here on the Community Center once it has launched. 

Thanks,

Liv

I need help! 

Guest broke things, $2,300 worth of damages. 

Airbnb told me to contact guest, which I did with prove and within 24hours. Guest declined to pay. Airbnb told me to file an aircover claim and since then, they have left me with no response. 

I call everyday, email them and no response.

Is this how they treat hosts?

[Private conversation and phone number removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nollie-And-Vita0

I'm sorry to hear some things in your listing got damaged during this stay! I checked in with the team for you, and they’ve confirmed your case is in progress and a Support ambassador will follow up with you to find a solution. Please let us know how you get on. 🙂 

Thanks,

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

AirCover is a joke and much worse than the previous system. We had about $6,000 in damages and were very meticulous to gather photos, videos, invoices, and statements from the cleaning and repair crews. And as expected, our request was slashed, but without any kind of reasoning. There were about thirty people staying for 4 days, drunk and smoking the whole time with unsupervised young children, from diaper age to preteens, running around wildly (per the Ring doorbell). One of the most frustrating examples is that for the smoke remediation service, we used the same crew we've used twice in the past, and we had no problem getting reimbursed 100%. This time, the invoice was cut from almost $1,000 to $250, with the only explanation being "That's industry standard." Excuse me, no, it's not. Industry standard in our area is $4,000 for a whole-house service. I've called three times and nobody knows where to refer me. The resolution team member who handled our claim said I didn't need to submit a written notice of dispute (which is what the fine print says to do, by the way), and instead he said I can call and ask to talk to the "concerned department." So I did, and yep, the next person I talked to had no idea what I meant. We've moved to sending a written notice of arbitration. Atrocious service.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Heather1338 

Heather I have the utmost sympathy for what you have gone through but, from your post, like me, you will become a better host. The past can be a great predictor of the future if you let it but, let me tell you what the last 6 years with Airbnb has taught me.

1/.....Don't expect Airbnb to be anything other than a booking platform.

They put A, the guest in touch with B, the host. They charge an outrageous amount of money to do just that but, it is our choice, and if we let them get away with it then we can't carry on about it.

Have a look at this upcoming booking of mine........

Airbnb service fees.png

Yeah, that is 19% of that booking that Airbnb takes.

I have guests who mark me down on value because they are paying $138 per night for my $105 pr night property! My property is not worth $138 pr night.....but there is nothing I can do about that except tell them that less than $110 of that $138 ends up in my pocket.....the rest of it ends up in Airbnb's.

2/......Don't depend on Airbnb for help when things go wrong!

$6.00 pr guest night goes into my damage fund which I can draw on when something gets broken or stolen....it doesn't happen often but, we would be naive in the extreme to think that it won't happen to us. I do have STR insurance but I have a $2,500 deductible (excess) which keeps the premium minimal and it is only to cover catastrophic damage, and when sheets get ruined, a tabletop or chair broken I don't hassle Airbnb or the guest.....I realise these things are in the main an accident and a part of hosting, I just pull the money out of the damage fund, put it right and get on with the business of hosting! 

3/.....Do not offer up front discounts!

To Airbnb your property will never be cheap enough, but they are not interested in whether you make money or lose it......they don't want to let a booking escape to another STR platform. I do offer discounts but I state in my listing description I do it in the form of a refund at the end of the stay when I can assess what discount is appropriate for that particular stay. I am not going to get stiffed into offering a sham discount.

4/.......Keep what you offer manageable.

A wise person once said to me when I said I was going to short term rent.....she said to me 'don't put anything out there you are not prepared to lose'!  By all means put 6 pillows on the bed, it looks great but, make sure they are not $450 per set Sheridan's. Be budget conscious and put in serviceable appliances and have a back-up on hand in case that 'what ever it is' should fail. Don't put in your listing what you would ideally like, put in it what the guest needs!

5/......Don't let to hagglers.

I have discovered that potential guests fall into two defined groups.....'Passive/Complimentary'.....or 'Aggressive/demanding'! They either like what they have seen, and they just want to pay and stay or, they have question after question they want answered, and with each question they strengthen their ground while weakening yours. After a while you become good at picking the difference, it doesn't hurt you to decline a request or a booking every now and then as long as you don't make a habit of it but remember, a haggler is the one time when 50% of something is NOT better than 100% of nothing! 

6/......Guest choose to book by a hosts past reviews.

Reviews are the centrepiece which future business revolves around and although I am possibly accused  of buying good reviews, with the Airbnb review system we have to.....anything less than a 5 star with Airbnb means there is something that needs to be improved. Now obviously that is patent nonsense, some guests will consider that nothing is ever perfect, and in my 500 + reviews about 25 have said their stay was everything they could have expected but, it wasn't perfect....not a hint of what I could have improved but, I ended up with a 4. My way around this is to explain in my house rules folder the way the Airbnb review system works......

airbnb ratings 2.png

Now Heather, after reading this you might think from a guests point of view I am a difficult host but, let me tell you my hosting business just goes from strength to strength. For the past 3 years we have been fully booked......here is my current booking calendar for this month and next.......

Screenshot_2022-02-20-23-39-30-52_2d6e288b86592576bd2b65b14a1fc55b.jpg 

Rarely do we have more than 4 nights a months without a guest.

I think guests appreciate a host who offers not just extensive experience but, a clearly defined set of rules.....they know where they stand.

I think what you have done is great, you have taken control of your hosting and I think you will reap the rewards for doing that!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 

Thank you for this post Rob, there is a lot of Fantastic info and points here.

On point 2 I have recently become very disillusioned with Airbnb. I niavely believed all the fluff and outright lies written on Their Aircover page. But then when you get to the fine print they will not pay any more than what they determine the value is of the object damaged is. So they paid me out $0 for the washing machine the guest damaged because it wasn't a new machine and they deemed it's value to be $0. (I'm not sure how I replace what was a fully-functioning washing machine with $0) The aircover fine print basically means that unless an item is almost brand new, the guest can destroy whatever they want as long as it's old enough, and Airbnb will pay you $0 to repair/replace it. Complete un-acceptable!.

However this wouldn't have bothered me so much if they were just honest up front about it, instead of telling hosts lies like "Host damage protection covers you if your place or belongings ever get damaged by a guest during an Airbnb stay." In Canada I could not find a home insurance company that would cover anything to do with Airbnb. I had an almost impossible time trying to find insurance that would cover just Me because of the Airbnb rental under the same roof. I finally did, but they won't cover anything related to the rental. I foolishly thought that would be fine because Airbnb offers and brags about their "$1M damage protection". Which doesn't actually exist for hosts. Lesson learned, I will keep looking to find insurance to cover my listing. But in the meantime I've taken down my listing and am trying to decide if I even keep using a company like this that upfront lies to their hosts. I will probably end up switching to another company that is at least honest up front about what they cover and don't cover.

And the most usefull thing to me is Point 6, after receiving a "the place was average" review (that was the entire review) with a 2 star rating, leaving something like this to educate the guest on how the review system works is a brilliant idea! I felt like the guest just didn't understand how Airbnb see's the star-rating. I mean after a 2-week stay they liked to place enough to ask to stay for 3 more months (which I couldn't accommodate due to other bookings) but then rate it 2 stars! *head shake*

So thank you for your insight!