Airbnb doesn't trust hosts....

Jeremy129
Level 6
New South Wales, Australia

Airbnb doesn't trust hosts....

Airbnb is now taking names off the iCal reservations we see. My cleaner and I share the iCal and use their names to identify which guests are checking in an out. Removing them now makes this system we have used for years unworkable! We'll need to manually enter every guests name now.

Airbnb have removed the questions we require guests to answer and previously removed their photo and last name. Essentially they are turning us into mini hotels that have no control over who stays. I don't want people letting themselves into my garden anymore as it's now to harder to identify them. For this reason we closed the granny flat airbnb we had running for 5 years in our garden. We still run one Airbnb but I am considering closing that also.

This is an issue of Trust. Airbnb no longer trusts hosts to do the right thing and yet their business model relies on us. Locally, in my area the state government is taking submissions on short term lettings and Airbnb has asked me to write a submission in their favour. Personally I find this hard to do now. Previously I had written to my local MP saying how great Airbnb was for the local shops and hospitality industry, but now I am not sure I agree with the direction this company is heading. Besides...  they avoid paying income tax in my country. I can take a step back from my personal gain and see this company is acting poorly in the community.

If they don't trust me why should I trust them?

27 Replies 27
Steven313
Level 3
Surat Thani, Thailand

AirBnB - please do not remove the guests name from the iCal export! 

Hosts already have access to the guest name and phone information via the app and the website, so limiting this information on iCal does not protect the guests privacy from hosts.

Appareny Airbnb wants to protect the guests names from their competitors, other online travel sites which need the iCal information in order to prevent double booking.

If Airbnb is concerned about guests name information being seen by other online travel services, there is a simple solution. They can offer two different iCal links:

1 iCal link which has just the basic check-in and check-out dates and the last four digits of the guests phone number -- plus...

2. A separate iCal link which is password protected (possibly also checking the server which is pulling the information and if it's anything other than a calendar program such as Samsung calendar, Google Calendar or iPhone calendar).  This iCal link would have the full guest's name and phone number as it does currently.

If Airbnb removes the host access to the guest named information on iCal this will create a devastating problem, especially for Hosts with multiple units and their staffs, including maids, pick up drivers and check in / out managers who need to be able to know our guest's full names in an simple exportable smartphone calendar without having to go into the Airbnb app.  This is because the staff need to know the names of the people and which unit they're going to, checking into or checking out of.

Also for hosts with multiple guests there's no easy way on the AirBnb smartphone app to see a month by month summary of multiple check-ins and checkouts all on the single screen. It's a very cumbersome on Airbnb app to manage and see the names of multiple rooms/stays over a given month.  Yet this is very simple and easy to do in a smartphone calendar.

Airbnb is only considering the guests perspective and not the hosts. The above work around is fair and reasonable compromise that Airbnb could easily implement.

Please spread the word and as an airbnb host, each of you should separately contact Airbnb to let them know if you are concerned about this serious problem and advise them about the alternative solution mentioned above.
Bonita5
Level 5
Victoria, Canada

Do NOT remove guest names off  iCal !!!

thus is absurd and renders it useless. 

No one sees our calendar except us. 

How are we to know when our bookings begin and end?

The phone numbers are nessary too!

I vote against this UNHELPFUL change .

The HOSTS  do all the work , and Airbnb is working against us instead of with us! 

PLEASE do NOT take names off Ical. !

John_Erica0
Level 2
Colorado, United States

This change by Airbnb will significantly impact our guest hosting workflow. Today the iCal export is utilized by our lock software to automatically create lock code and send that code to the guest via SMS. By removing the phone number and name we are not able to automate this process.

Disappointing change from Airbnb as it results in yet another cost of hosting.

Im in the same boat - I use Rboy Apps and this update has already stopped sending automated SMS texts to guests with their checkin pin code. 

Airbnb, this is not a helpful update. Please figure out a better solution than making it more difficult for hosts to automate reservations! 

Bonnie-And-Nilda0
Level 2
San Juan, Puerto Rico

By not allowing questioning of prospective tenants, we run the risk of bringing problematic guests to the condo which is very unfair to my neighbors. In a condo or private community, as opposed to a free standing home, there are common areas or shared space. I have to consider my neighbors when renting. I am  not in favor of instant book or any booking w/o prior communication with guests. Ditto for the lock box. Hosts should meet their guests or pay someone to meet them. Strangers should not be allowed to wander a condo building searching for an apt and a lockbox. Not ok by me! I am a very considerate neighbor and Airbnb should discourage rather than encourage this.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I usually agree with the host gripes on this forum...but not this one.

Airbnb was right to close this security loophole so guests' personal information is protected.

I've seen PLENTY of hosts who publish their calendar (with all details) on their direct booking site - open to the public/world. With a reservation confirmation number, guest name, and phone number, this is a big security risk. If that host also uses the "last 4-digits of phone" door code that so many of us do, that means anyone who knows about the insecure calendar knows how to enter the rental ANY TIME.

This was a failure on Airbnb's part to ever allow sensitive customer data to leave their site/control. Yes, it causes some bumps while we all figure new processes to share info with cleaners, etc, but it was a necessary and overdue fix.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE NEW iCAL, USE THE "TEAMS" FEATURE.

IF YOUR LOCK USES iCAL, talk to the manufacturer. You're not the only host with this problem, so they'll find a work around. Developers have until December to figure out a fix. It's not rocket science.

Jim-And-Olivia0
Level 2
Winston-Salem, NC

What is iCal?

Marcus239
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hello Jeremy, 

Have you considered using the Teams feature of the Pro Hosting Tools? You can find more information at https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2514/how-do-i-set-up-and-manage-a-hosting-team-on-airbnb

I hope this helps. 

Marcus

bonjour @Jeremy129  nous aussi en France nous sommes très en colère .

sur le comportement de rbnb.

ici aussi beaucoup de propriétaire retire leur hebergement .

c'est de la discrimination anti propriétaire, car nous nous avons nos photos, nous sommes les propriétaires et c'est notre bien que nous entretenons.

les guests sont aussi nombreux a ne pas respecter.

rbnb ne veux que notre argent, jamais je ne les cautionnerais . ils ne sont qu'on otas tout comme booking.

rbnb a perdu sa philosophie de l'accueil .

bonne journée 

absolutely absolutely huge problem for Airbnb hosts with multiple listings. Now our maids come out drivers, and staff have no idea which guests are staying at which houses. We can no longer figure out when I guests calls us which house they are staying in.  all due to the totally incompetent, mindless, ignorant and blatantly stupid policy-making at Airbnb which doesn't give a rat's ass about what hosts think. Well get ready for this millions of host on Airbnb are going to be leaving in droves because of this huge mistake by Airbnb unless they fix it immediately

Yep, I think Airbnb is intentionally trying to ruin its business by alienating hosts. 

im going to create manual calendar listings that synch to my cohost with the names and other data. That way Airbnb can’t control or change them and we can see whose coming at a glance.

"this will create a devastating problem, especially for Hosts with multiple units and their staffs"

I have a basic understanding of the ical but this is also affecting private hosting. I let out my ground floor and I now don't have access to any info on the people I let to. this is not ok with me, I have young teenage girls. I will be looking at other hosting platforms with more security. 

My council and state is trying to ban airbnb altogether because of multiple airbnb listings which really doesn't make me happy. There are many of use who cannot work because of disabilities and yet we are able to make a small living renting out our homes airbnb. I realise its a great way to make money, but for some of us it's the only way