Airbnb drastically limiting Extenuating Circumstances policy

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Airbnb drastically limiting Extenuating Circumstances policy

Anyone read about this?  Seems like great news for hosts:

https://airbnbase.com/extenuating-circumstances-policy-stops/

This will curtail full refunds to guests for frivolous reasons.  Finally, our cancellation policies will be upheld.

31 Replies 31
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Pat271 

I wondered what the source is from this message.

@Emiel1  I found the source

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy?fbclid=IwAR2qBj_T_7KDV-Ea3...

(*old* policy at *top* of page - scroll down to see update effective Jan 21)

Emiel1
Level 10

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Ok, thanks !

So policy changes, but does not stop at all

The link to the official Airbnb Extenuating Circumstances policy is contained in the link I posted.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Pat271 

Yes, i see now it is in the text.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Why from January 20 ? Why not now or January 1st?

@Branka-and-Silvia0,

I just posted to the thread for Catherine's video announcement of the upcoming, and said that I think the lead time is necessary to implement the system required to support the changes.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Pat271 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Emiel1 

Wow, I'm shocked. I think this applies to hosts as well. No more extenuating circumstances for hosts either? 

I hadn’t thought about hosts, but that’s an excellent question.

@Emilia42 @Pat271 I don't think it applies to hosts.

if the host cancels because he can't host then the guest is fully refunded anyway. The host is already out of income so there is no need for additional punishment.  Of course, I am talking about situations when there is some damage to the property or illness and similar...

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Logically, I think you are right but it sure doesn't sound that way from wording for the new policy.

The 'old' policy says this: "Unforeseen property damage, maintenance, and amenity issues to the Airbnb listing that makes it unsafe to host guests, or that prevent guests from accessing basic amenities like running water. This doesn’t include planned renovations."

But the new policy completely leaves that part out. 

@Emilia42 ajaj 😞 so you think we would be charged 100€ if our property is damaged by our guests or the neigbor upstairs flood it?  or if its damaged in an earthquake ? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lizzie @Nick 

can you clarify- under updated policy can hosts still claim EC due to property damage, maintenance and amenities?

@Pat271 I think it applies to everyone, guests and hosts. When I tried to access the policy through the hosting help center on cancelations and it brought me to the same page.