Airbnb drastically limiting Extenuating Circumstances policy

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Airbnb drastically limiting Extenuating Circumstances policy

Anyone read about this?  Seems like great news for hosts:

https://airbnbase.com/extenuating-circumstances-policy-stops/

This will curtail full refunds to guests for frivolous reasons.  Finally, our cancellation policies will be upheld.

31 Replies 31

@Sarah977 yes, it must be near impossible to find a co host if you are home sharing other than a close relative. I guess it comes down to this being life. Sometimes life just costs money. We may back into a something with a car, need ER visit and those things just happen. And at some point we will need to cancel a reservation (but hopefully not)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on the recent announcement about upcoming changes to the EC policy (from Jan 20th, 2021). Ooo it feels weird writing 2021.

For those of you who haven't seen Catherine Powell's latest update, take a look at this CC post and if you are more of a reader of an update than a video watcher, the Resource Center article has more of an overview of what she covers. If you have any more feedback about the policy update, please do share it on the dedicated thread, as it makes it a lot easier to gather up and highlight within the team. Thank you. 🙂 

For those of you who have watched the video or the article you will know that Catherine does acknowledge in rare situations  hosts may need to cancel due to things out of your control and shouldn't be penalised in these situation.

I know you would like a bit more clarity on this, so I want you to know I have highlighted your feedback back to the team. 

The time between now and when is comes into force is important to make sure that all of the moving parts and people involved are all in order. 

I'll let you know when I hear more. 

I hope this helps. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.