Airbnb has no respect or regard for hosts anymore

Kimberley59
Level 4
Seattle, WA

Airbnb has no respect or regard for hosts anymore

I have had a few incidences recently of guests that blatantly violated airbnb and house rules.  I reported the incidences to airbnb, and then when asked for resolution it gets ignored and then denied.

Worst incident was guests that were so bad police had to be called - Airbnb denied my resolution request repeatedly but finally corrected after I attempted to speak with them multiple times per week for over a month.  After about 2 months it was resolved.

More recently I have had 2 separate reservations where there were more guests than booked.  One of the reservations, they even threw a party (against my rules) and other violations.  I have evidence because I have surveillance cameras on property (disclosed in the listing), and there were also witnesses.  Despite the evidence, Airbnb has denied to make the guests pay for the number of guests who stayed.

Another guest booked only one room in a shared place, but then used the second bedroom which they did not book. I had to do an emergency cleaning before another guest checked in.  Airbnb is denying to make the guest pay for using that bedroom that was not booked or for the cleaning fee.  I also have proof with photos.  The sheets were ruffled and obviously used and the comforter had a coffee stain on it. I have photos from before and after they arrived at the listing.  But Airbnb is refusing to do anything about it.

I'm not running a hotel!  This is my home!  What is the point of rules at all if they will not be enforced and there are no consequences to guests for breaking them?  Why would guests tell the truth about number of guests if they can get away with lying and paying less?  It seems to be happening more and more.  Word is on the street -- Airbnb does not care about hosts whatsoever.  Guests can do whatever they want.  It's the host's problem.

15 Replies 15
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kimberley59  I feel your pain because I am currently dealing with Airbnb Community support for the resolution case. It has been two weeks. No resolution is made. 

A guest booked six but came with sixteen caught on the video doorbell. They had a party on the second day. There were more people coming to the party. 

I was was out of town that weekend. But I called Airbnb immediately after I saw a party was going on the second day after the guests checked in. I asked Airbnb to call guests and ask them to leave. But after one day, nobody from Airbnb called the guests.

Over was left with thick grease and burned food residue, which took professional cleaner two hours to get rid of them. The kitchen floor was left many spots of grease, sauce, soup, and drink. 

I involved airbnb after 72 hours without getting guest to pay the party fine, extra people, and extra cleaning fees, and a few missing items. The support guy named Eduardi handled my case. He told me on the first day that he called me a few times. But my phone had no calls on that date and I tested the phone with a different phone calling my phones which worked perfectly. It means either Airbnb phone system had issue which I doubt or the guy was lying.

I will have requested Airbnb to change my case manager. So far no success. Airbnb support system is really a corrupted system. I believe that their support had some change. Resolution center cases were handled by trust and safety department before. Now it says Airbnb community support. The community support is definitely worse than the support given before.

Any hosts who have experienced the same as @Kimberley59 @and me, please share your experience here. Hopefully we can get attention from the forum community support admins attention to convey our bad experience to Airbnb upper management.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

One spelling correction of my previous post. It is the oven. Here is a photo of the oven bottom taken after the party use. Various evidence like this oven usage was provided to Airbnb Community Support to show a party was held. Still no answers from Airbnb after two weeks. 

C9D66A1F-91FC-4A2D-9032-A7A9DDD2873B.jpeg

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kimberley59 @Alice595 

This is really worrying and what you went through is every host's nightmare. It can happen to any of us and I agree, Airbnb should do more to discourage guest's bad behavior.

With just a few rule changes Airbnb could do a lot for the benefit of the company's image and business and for the hosts:

- Take actual security deposit and return it after a week if no damage was claimed by the host (like VRBO )

- If the guest breaks house rules, his reservation should be canceled without a refund

- In case of any criminal behavior or serious breakage of house rules (like a party) the gues' account should be deleted forever.

- The profile picture and verified ID should be mandatory for all users.

By protecting bad guests, Airbnb shoots in its own foot. More and more cities and communities ban Airbnb and a short term rental in general. Airbnb CS and trust&safety department have to deal with damages and problematic guests on a daily basis. Hosts quit Airbnb and turn to the other booking platforms... And for what? I don't see any benefit of protecting bad guests. The bad guests will eventually chase away all the good guests and all the hosts.

, .

PS

our oven is disconnected and out of order from day one. We don't have time to scrub it between guests. There are numerous restaurants in the neighborhood 🙂

Carl200
Level 1
Barrington, IL

How do you actually get in touch with Airbnb?  We had a review that didn't post by a guest that was loud, left a big mess and broke our toilet!  Do they have a customer service #?

Do you mean you left a review for the guest but it didn't post?  This happened to me recently.  Airbnb had removed my review without cause.  

@Carl200   please do your due diligence and know that information, what’s in the policy and terms of service you agreed to when you posted your listing, have homeowners insurance, and know your rights.

This forum is full of wisdom and support, but that documentation at least tells you what you’re supposed to be getting for the fees you pay, even if it’s not enforced, so you can establish boundaries and protect yourself.

There are deadlines to meet and evidence required, whether you seek relief for costs with the guest directly (which Airbnb requires first) through Airbnb with their involvement only if the guest refuses,  or your insurance or both.

Ultimately, this is your business and you choose how to run it.

Good luck.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Laura_C 

Anything you can do to help the above with?

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@ Kimberly in WA and others ...

In my experience Airbnb will do nothing about damages, violations of house rules, personal safety threats, theft,  local ordinances, or other laws.  

The “$million host protection” policy and others promised before you sign up  is negated by fine print in the terms of service we all agree to, and they don’t enforce security deposits either.

Airbnb will also remove (even justified) negative reviews of a guest at their request (but leave them about us in reverse), and won’t ban or tag bad guests.  Even when they did for a time, the same guests were allowed to create new profiles and keep booking.

Its all about collecting those inflated booking fees from guests folks.

Its not like this on other platforms.  They encourage professional conduct like real host/tenant contracts, security deposits and ID required/verification.

There is a Facebook page for bad guest shares and searches:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/188885775174427/?multi_permalinks=413518529377816&notif_id=15590990388...

Its the the best we can do when using Airbnb as a booking service along with turning off instant booking.  It’s more work but at least you have control and can screen guests yourself.

If you filed a police report and have info from their ID/profile you may be able to sue for damages via small claims or address any party ordinances via civil means. Otherwise your homeowners insurance might help you out with damages.

Should you choose to continue with Airbnb,  and use instant book,  Choose the strictest screening options such as must have positive host reviews, no previous bad reviews, Verified ID, facial photo, and completed profiles.  If you turn off instant book you can do all of that yourself and discern if you even want to host based on the profile info and quality of those pre-book messages, which often reveal red flags.  I’ve refused several requests to book based on these conversations’ content, tone,  responsiveness, level of respect and entitlement, and if it’s apparent they haven’t read the details of the listing.  I’ve also cancelled if they show up with extra people.  If they’re lying or disrespectful from the get-go, I don’t want them here.

How you write your listing narrative is also very important.  Make it specific to attract the kind of guest you DO want.  For example:  This is perfect for professionals needing a quiet place to work or regroup or this space is ideal for a couples getaway...

If you’re renting out rooms in your home and you live there, how is it one set of guests were able to have a party and the others were able to get into and stay in the wrong room?  

Id have locks on each of the bedroom doors so unused rooms would be off limits and guests could also feel confident their things are secure and enjoy privacy in their designated space.

I’d also make a point to be home (or have another responsible adult there) during the guests’ stays to offer hospitable presence and monitor goings on and prevent theft.  

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Kimberley59   I feel your pain.   I think most of us hosts have been there.  I have stopped relying on Airbnb for support as much as it is possible.  I ask a lot of questions of my guests and also make very clear that we live on the same property/are onsite hosts.  I have also learned not to be afraid and speak up if a guest is violating my house rules.  I know that I cannot completely eliminate potential issues, but I have been able to significantly cut down on them. 

Margaret179
Level 2
Independence, MO

I feel your pain - I'm having issues with people booking but that person does not stay in the house and they leave their crews of young men to ransack the place, punch holes in walls, break chairs, and leave a horrible mess. I wish that Airbnb had a rule that the person booking had to also stay in the house!

@Margaret179  Airbnb DOES have a rule.  It is called, "Third-Party Bookings are not allowed."

@ Margaret179

Its your place.  You’re the one making and enforcing the rules.