Airbnb illegalization in Somerville MA USA

Paul659
Level 1
Somerville, MA

Airbnb illegalization in Somerville MA USA

Airbnb may become illegal in Somerville MA USA.   Several members of the board of alderman are against it and taking steps to make it illegal.   I'm looking for other hosts in my city and/or for an airbnb community mobilization manager who is assigned to the Boston region to help us organize to fight this.  

13 Replies 13
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Are you familiar with the Home Sharing Club of Boston, @Paul659?  

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

hi @Paul659 @Linda108, I'm in Boston (JP) and hadn't heard about this.  I'd be happy to be part of any organized group to keep an eye on this. So far I haven't heard anything comparable from Boston. fingers crossed I guess!

If you are interested, @Susie5, go to Discuss, select Home Sharing Club and find Boston.  You will see that there is a very active club.

VERY interested in joining forces. I did have opportunity to pitch it to mayor. Let me know what I can do. 

Best John 

Ethan37
Level 1
Somerville, MA

Sorry that I’m so late to this thread! It’s now almost February. Nearly 4 months since the post. How can I be of service and what is the status as of yet? Where can I find more info on this?

Clint17
Level 2
Somerville, MA

Hi Paul, do you have any updates on this issue?  Happy to get involved if I can help. I run an Airbnb in Davis. 

Are you still interested in working on this?

Rebecca

John1042
Level 1
Somerville, MA

There is meeting tomorrow night to vote on ordinance restricting AIR b and B rentals to 90 days in Somerville, and registering them with the city. 

90 day limit effectively shuts down all the units. Please email city concellors and attend meeting to stop this legistration. 

Best JOhn 

I believe so long as the host lives on site, it's fine, right? 

It's fine to rent a room in your home, as long as you keep a bedroom for your own use, and document proof.

@John1042 Did you attend the meeting? If you did, could you summarize the discussions? Which councelors are in favor of this 90-day rule for home-based AirBNBs?

The vote was unanimous. The new ordinance is posted on the City's web site -- google "Short Term Rental, Somerville MA"

Hi,

Since the ordinance passed, my husband and I have been having conversations with each of the Council people, one-by-one. It's been informative, and frustrating. But I do see the faint possibility of a path forward.

Are you still interested in working on this?

Rebecca