Airbnb is Magical and Apparently Thinks They Can Control Time!

Diane440
Level 6
Staunton, IL

Airbnb is Magical and Apparently Thinks They Can Control Time!

Last night we had a booking made weeks ago for two women planning to attend a local wedding. They traveled about an hour away and it made sense they would need just one overnite stay so they could relax and enjoy the wedding and have a place to rest afterward. They arrived at 3 pm for a slightly early check in so they could dress and freshen up for the wedding. No problem! They came back once around 11 pm and quickly left again. Again, we figured they wanted to party after the reception and hang out with friends. 

Early Sunday am we got up to set out breakfast and coffee. They were gone! I swear I heard them still rustling around about 7 am as I was getting ready, but when we went to set up breakfast, no sign of them! Then around 9:30 am I get a message saying they were pleased with everything, loved the cute vintage decor but could not stay due to the "smell" but they would concede they'd probably have to pay the cleaning fee but would like a refund. I also received a message from Airbnb stating "according to my refund policy" they were to be given a FULL refund! At 10:00 am the guest sent a message thanking me for "changing" the reservation from last night (Sat) to tonight (Sun).  I did NOT sanction any of this! This is why the heading. Apparently Airbnb takes it upon themselves to change time! Make reservations disappear even after guests have checked in! Well after last year, I'm pretty much done with people and Airbnb. Their loss! Our place is amazing! And the only vacation rental by owner in town aside from one hotel and very pricey cabins at a winery. We are taking a hiatus from hosting for a while and I will use the space for other personal and business purposes. We WILL NEVER HOST WITH AIRBNB AGAIN!!! WE WILL CONTINUE TO SERVE OUR COMMUNITY AND MAKE AN INCOME THAT THEY WILL NEVER SEE!!!  WE WILL NEVER STAY IN AN AIRBNB LISTING AGAIN. WE WILL ONLY BOOK THROUGH ANYTHING BUT AIRBNB. BE WARNED!! THIS PLACE IS A SCAM AND SANCTIONS THIEVERY!! 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Diane440 

This is a weird story.

A reservation can not be changed without your approval.

Also none of the cancellation policies will refund in full when reservation is cancelled after check-in time.

So must be a technical glitch or some information is missing (like: did Airbnb cancel the reservation after receiving complaints ?)

Diane440
Level 6
Staunton, IL

It's been a huge miscommunication all around. Suffice it to say, Airbnb did NOT refund any amount to the guest  I have no idea why the guest messaged me thanking me for "changing" the date and giving a full refund. But I'm still not happy with Airbnb. Apparently they have now deducted a canceled booking from way back in October 2019, in spite of several bookings since then (even with the hiatus of the lockdown) that they could've taken it out of. So, I'm really not out any money per se, but this has been a lot of aggravation for a mere $29.40 I now have in my pocket. Airbnb will NOT be getting any more payments from me either as a guest or a host if this is the slip shoddy business and bookkeeping practice they have. I'll keep my account active here just in case. Otherwise, VRBO all the way!