Airbnb is saying I get $100 penalty even though instant book is turned on?

Chris921
Level 2
Cudgera Creek, Australia

Airbnb is saying I get $100 penalty even though instant book is turned on?

Hi there, 

I got a booking last night and cancelled it this morning as the person had no references and my partner is home alone with them (they are hiring private rooms and bringing five adults). 

Airbnb has now notified me to say I will get $100 penalty with my next payout, however, I had Instant Booked setup (as promoted as the best option by Airbnb). Can someone tell me the steps to follow from here? I can't find a support number to pursue this issue. 

7 Replies 7
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Chris921,

Is the booking for the midsurfearth (s) listing that is listed as "Priate room"?

If so have you recently removed instant book as that listing is not currently instantly bookable.

That listing has the automated "The host canceled this reservation 31 days before arrival" review.

The other, entire house, listing does have instant book set.

You could contact Airbnb support and plead your case with them as a new host.

Type "contact airbnb" in the "Search the community" box on these forum pages where you posted your question. Scroll down a little in the list of suggestions that appears and click on the "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide[UPDATED]" one. That lists phone numbers and ways to contact them via Twitter or Facebook.

Steve.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chris921

Chris you are allowed to cancel an IB reservation without penalty within 24 hours of booking if you are uncomfortable with the reservation.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-host...

Chris that link will also take you to how to go about cancelling without penalty and other useful IB information.

Also Chris, it may pay to work on your pricing a bit! I notice you set the same price for your whole listing regardless of how many guests you have! You charge the same amount for 1 guest as you do for 10. It would be preferable for you to set a base price for 4 guests, and under 'extra charges' set a charge of say $15 for each additional guest after 4 . Doing this makes your listing a bit more flexible, you can start with a lower figure and work your way up.....just a thought!

In this situation get onto a CS agent on this Sydney number...02 85203333

Good luck Chris

Cheers.....Rob

Susan869
Level 6
Lupton, United Kingdom

I didn’t know they charged you if you cancel?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan869

They sure do Susan, and charge you is not all they do! That Superhost status of yours would be lost for a year. Here is the link to host cancellation penalties.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reserv...

Cheers......Rob

Chris921
Level 2
Cudgera Creek, Australia

@Robin4

Hi Robin, 

I adjusted my pricing recently as per your advice but I have further questions. 

I reduced the amount for four people (I was thinking that would mean only two rooms of the four bedroom house) and then increased it for every person after. 

The problem I have now is that I just got a booking for four people ($800 odd dollars) but they are four single ladies supposedly. Which means they would  use all four bedrooms and the three bathrooms. Which then requires a full clean and change over ($200 odd dollars). 

A few questions: 

Can I or should I specify that a four person rate is only two rooms in the house (but they still hire the hole house)? 

How do I actually no they have not opted for the cheaper rate but are bringing paterners etc? 

Thanks for your advice! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chris921

Yeah unfortunately Chris this is the loophole in the Airbnb booking system. They wanted to make it as simple as possible and not offer too many booking scenarios to confuse guests. 

Without going through the convoluted process of requesting more money from the guest after booking, you can charge by the guest, but not by the bed.

I have the same situation Chris, I charge $85 per night for one or two people. I charge $100 pr night when a third person is nominated because that means they will use the second bed. But on a few occasions I get two friends travelling together, they see that I offer a second bed in my description and require the $85 per night rate simply because there is only two of them....That is my two person rate. I can't charge by the bed, I can only charge by the guest.

In these instances Chris I just suck it up and take the hit where the extra servicing is concerned. Some guests will be good enough to say, can I give you extra to make up that second bed, but I don't accept it, I just tell them it's ok and the extra work will do me good! Guarantees me of a good review, and Chris this is where it becomes money in the bank....in those good reviews.

Sometimes it is worth forgoing a dollar in order to make a dollar Chris. It is a failing in the system, sure,  but you sure as hell are not going to get Airbnb to do anything about it. The phylosophy is, better the host take the hit than Airbnb!

Cheers......Rob

Chris921
Level 2
Cudgera Creek, Australia

@Robin0 Thanks for your advice. All great and valid points!