Airbnb is shutting down hosts in Europe with multiple listings

Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

Airbnb is shutting down hosts in Europe with multiple listings

Today i received the following email from Airbnb.  It would appear Airbnb is shutting down hosts that have multiple listings.  It started in Barcelona late last year and in the last few weeks has moved to London and Amsterdam.  Berlin hosts are now receiving these emails.  I have been with Airbnb for 6 years, am a superhost, have great reviews (with repeat Airbnb guests) and our apartments are registered with the local goverment.  The claim made below that we do not deliver the hospitality experience guests are looking for is simply not true.   It appears Airbnb will take our apartments offline in 2 weeks time. 

Other threads on this matter

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/LISTING-REMOVED/m-p/24110#M6220

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/De-Listing-without-explanation/td-p/24099/page/2

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Gastgeber-sein-allgemein/Airbnb-sperrt-weltweit-kommentarlos-Gastgeb...

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/LISTING-REMOVAL-DE-LISTED-Please-help-Thank-you/m-p/...

Dear Marcus,

Airbnb guests want to enjoy staying in local homes and enjoying authentic and unique travel experiences.
Unfortunately, our automated systems have shown that the listing mentioned below is not delivering the kind of local hospitality experience guests are looking for. In line with our Terms of Service,
(a list of all our apartments names in Airbnb appears here)
will be removed from our platform on 18 February 2016.
Please understand that this determination was not made due to a single attribute, but an overall combination of various criteria.
You may continue to manage all of your bookings and accept new bookings via our site until 18 February 2016. These bookings must be managed in accordance with our Hospitality Standards and Terms of Service.
After 18 February 2016, you will no longer be able to accept reservations for this specific listing and your listing will no longer appear in our search results.
 After 18 February 2016, you will be able to use our site to manage your existing reservations as long as you comply with our Terms of Service.
You will not be able to relist this particular space on our platform.
We regret to inform you about this. It is in the best interest of our community to uphold the standards and local and genuine experience they expect.
Best regards,
Airbnb Ireland

22 Replies 22

We have been helping European hosts with multiple listings get listing independence with ease.  Check out www.ststays.com (Disclaimer: I am the founder)

Jennifer1153
Level 1
Walnut Creek, CA

I've been traveling continuously for the past 2 years now and have had a PLETHORA of AirBnB experiences. If there was such a thing, I might be eligible to be a "SuperGUEST". On the surface, this feels like a good move by AirBnB. Largely because it can be a painstaking detective investigation to get at the truth of what some hosts are offering.

I've stayed in what was listed as a 'studio' but was simply a MULTI room residence, rented to SEPARATE guests, that had access to a "shared" kitchen and bath. I've also rented a room thinking it was in a multi-room "residence", only to discover it was a standard "HOSTEL" using the AirBnB platform. I've rented what I thought was a room where I'd be staying WITH a local in their HOME, only to find out it was basically just "student housing" (with one student who nearly burnt us down by leaving her pot on the lit burner while she hurried off to class). By FAR my most rewarding rentals have been with individuals who offer a CULTURAL EXCHANGE. That to me IS the fundamental model of AirBnB, and I've had some AMAZING experiences with such hosts, some of whom I am still in contact with.

Over time I have gotten better at spotting the professional 'hoteliers' from the 'hosts'. One of the first things I do is look at HOW MANY properties they are offering. (Whenever I introduce someone new to AirBnB I advise them to do the same). Not individual listings necessarily, because ONE property can have multiple rooms. But that also tells me that I will be sharing with others, which brings its own set of challenges (like how would you prove another guest left a huge mess or did some damage to a common area and not you?).

The next thing I do is CONTACT the host and ask all my remaining questions!!

So I can’t guess what AirBnB’s motivation is for reducing this trend toward more and more properties being listed by "professional hoteliers", absentee hosts, and long distance investors, but I am glad that there’s some movement towards restricting that. (I sense it might have a little something to do with some recent backlash from locals who are being priced out of housing by this trend toward short term vacation rentals that can fetch far more than they can afford to pay).

I do agree with the idea of making room for different offerings on this platform and different ways for industrious hosts to prosper. But speaking as a customer, it would be great if those offerings were CLEARLY DELINEATED.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Gunaalan0 @Gunaalan1 

If you're setting up new accounts because you've previously been delisted - or even if you're just setting up a several accounts in case you're ever shut down in the future - it might be wise to be a little more discreet about it, Gunaalan! 😉