Airbnb issues full refund without communication?

Answered!
Si6
Level 4
Canada

Airbnb issues full refund without communication?

I had a guest who canceled a 2,000 reservation because world juniors games got reduced spectator capacity. I have a strict cancelation policy (for a reason). When they canceled I got an email from Airbnb saying I’ll be receiving a payout minus the cleaning fee.

Today I checked transaction history and saw that this payout was missing. I went back to the reservation and it now says “canceled by Airbnb” and zero dollars are owed to me. NOONE ever contacted me from Airbnb to discuss whether I’m okay with this or to notify me that they decided to issue this refund despite my cancellation policy. What fresh hell is this? Pandemic is nothing new. Why are hosts once again paying up for all the canceled plans???

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Si6 

I tried to find out from CS what would happen in a case where a guest cancelled due to another reason and later, AFTER the cancellation had already been made, contacted them to say they had tested positive (the positive result being after the cancellation date). 

I really didn't get anywhere. They just kept confirming that a guest could cancel if they tested positive, but didn't answer the question RE what happens if that test result is after the cancellation is already made and the message thread shows it was made for another reason. I tried to explain it in every possible way, but the just kept sending me the link to the COVID EC Policy, which of course I already know. 

I can see this situation happening over and over. There are already several threads about it on the CC. Airbnb needs to update the policy to specify that the EC does not cover stays that have already been cancelled before a test result as CS currently doesn't seem to factor in when the test was taken.

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Si6 

Useally it is the other way round:

The guest receives full refund, except for the cleaning fee. But only when the guest faces an "extenuating circumstance" , like being infected by COVID. Which "extenuating circumstance" did rectify this cancellation ? Airbnb CS makes a lot of mistakes (as reported in this community) , so you probably are a victim too ? 

Airbnb has revised the extenuating circumstance clause last year that only a small number of unforeseen incidents are covered now and this does not include COVID-19 or other sickness. I guess some CS representatives are not aware of this change...

The thing that makes no sense to me is how they continue ignoring her stated reasons for cancellation before she canceled her reservation. 

@Si6  It makes no sense because it's senseless. The CS rep is being a brainless robot.

@Nanxing0  You are misinformed. The EC policy was updated, but it does cover a positive Covid test. 

But that is not really @Si6's issue. Her issue is that the guest originally said they were cancelling because the games they were planning to attend got cancelled, which is definitely not a refundable circumstance. Then they changed their story, probably after finding out if they claimed they had Covid, that would qualify for a refund.

And the CS rep is ignoring the original stated reason, as if it's not right there in front of her eyes.

@Sarah977  I know what you are saying, but the Airbnb website itself is self-contradictory. On the EC main page, it is clearly stated that unexpected disease, illness and injury are not covered under EC. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

However on the COVID-19 EC page it says "will not be covered..., except where the guest or host is currently sick with COVID-19.".

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...

I don't know which one I should refer to...

@Nanxing0  The second one. The first one is just the general EC policy.

arguably getting hit by a truck is a way more extenuating of a circumstance than getting Covid at this time. 

This is exactly it. 

Si6
Level 4
Canada

I didn’t get any communication with an explanation or seeking my consent. I discovered it accidentally today after searching for the payout in transaction history and seeing that it’s missing… In my correspondence w the guest she indicated that they want to cancel bc they could now attend 2 games out of 5 and they didn’t think it was worth it plus they didn’t want to risk omicron. I said no to a full refund and suggested I would send some money back if I got rebooked. She canceled. I got an email saying ill be gettiny my payout and today this reso changed to “canceled by Airbnb w zero refund” where previously it was “canceled by guest with 2100 payout.” I never got rebooked and no one ever called me or sent me any communication at all. 

Amy907
Level 3
New York, United States

@Si6  Something similar has just happened to me. I had a guest check in in the afternoon and the next morning, woke up to a message saying she was checking out and wanted a full refund because there were ants. Now, there were ants, tiny ones that come in Spring but I never know if or when they're there unless someone tells me. So before I could even take care of them she said she was leaving. I said the apartment was still totally habitable it was unreasonable to get a full refund without giving me a chance to get rid of the ants. Anyway, we didn't see eye-to-eye, and I refunded her for the one night she had to stay there and we agreed not to review each other. I considered the issue resolved.

Next thing I know AirBnB has "canceled" the reservation, refunded her in full, and it's going to come out of my next payout! They never ever contacted me to hear my take on the disagreement, and have yet to respond to my calls. I hate this company. I understand the desire to placate guests, but with their profit margins they could refund her themselves if they think they need to keep her happy. Just like credit card companies do in disputes. The disregard for hosts is legendary. May I remind AirBnB that you get zero guests without hosts.  

I also list a property on VRBO. They have their own problems, but I think I'll just go over there and see how it goes. Or do long-term rentals elsewhere. The only recourse in a situation like this is to take your property elsewhere. 

Lori2546
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Have you tried copying the original message stating that you would receive a full refund?  And also the cancelled by Airbnb with zero payout message?  Then send to customer service and follow up with a phone call.  An continue to follow up until someone reverses the refund or gives you an explanation.  I've only had one interaction with customer service so far and it was frustrating.  However, I think it's worth if for you because it's a significant amount of money.  It sounds like a mistake to me.  We are not responsible for giving refunds for situations such as this.  

Si6
Level 4
Canada

Exactly what I’m trying to do. In my experience customer service is useless to hosts in 9.5/10 times. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Si6 

This is tricky. Often, CS will make a decision --right or wrong-- and simply close the case. Done. No further discussion. Every attempt to reopen it usually results in it being closed again without further explanation. 

I'm so sorry you we're victimised in this way. I fear the day this happens to me. But this is one of the risks of Airbnb dependency. 

Keep trying! Good luck.