Airbnb issues full refund without communication?

Answered!
Si6
Level 4
Canada

Airbnb issues full refund without communication?

I had a guest who canceled a 2,000 reservation because world juniors games got reduced spectator capacity. I have a strict cancelation policy (for a reason). When they canceled I got an email from Airbnb saying I’ll be receiving a payout minus the cleaning fee.

Today I checked transaction history and saw that this payout was missing. I went back to the reservation and it now says “canceled by Airbnb” and zero dollars are owed to me. NOONE ever contacted me from Airbnb to discuss whether I’m okay with this or to notify me that they decided to issue this refund despite my cancellation policy. What fresh hell is this? Pandemic is nothing new. Why are hosts once again paying up for all the canceled plans???

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Si6 

I tried to find out from CS what would happen in a case where a guest cancelled due to another reason and later, AFTER the cancellation had already been made, contacted them to say they had tested positive (the positive result being after the cancellation date). 

I really didn't get anywhere. They just kept confirming that a guest could cancel if they tested positive, but didn't answer the question RE what happens if that test result is after the cancellation is already made and the message thread shows it was made for another reason. I tried to explain it in every possible way, but the just kept sending me the link to the COVID EC Policy, which of course I already know. 

I can see this situation happening over and over. There are already several threads about it on the CC. Airbnb needs to update the policy to specify that the EC does not cover stays that have already been cancelled before a test result as CS currently doesn't seem to factor in when the test was taken.

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Elaine701 

When we are talking about a large sum of money, I think it's worth persisting with CS. I have done it with success, but it was time consuming and very frustrating. I got my payouts in the end.

If the guest was refunded simply because they were unable to attend some games, that's not good enough. However, there is a chance that, after the guest realised they would not get a full refund (a lot of guests seem to think that any COVID related reason entitles them to this), they read the EC policy and told CS one of them had tested positive. In that case, CS might not inform the host, nor be willing to disclose information as to why the refund was given.

If the refund was given on the basis that the guest did not want to complete the trip due to cancelled games or worries over Omicron, then it is worth fighting as that is not an extenuating circumstance.

The guest canceled communicating in writing that they won’t travel because of canceled games and being afraid to catch omicron - they communicated it in writing in message history. Then canceled. It was canceled by guest. Then days later I discovered status changed to canceled by Airbnb. Airbnb tells me they did it bc one of those travelling allegedly tested positive. This wasn’t a reason communicated at the time cancelation was made by a guest. Why is Airbnb retroactively changing the reason? It looks like the guest is savvy and after canceling read the policy and decided to try her luck by claiming a positive test and they just went ahead and reversed her already existing cancelation. Not cool. 

A1748BBE-30D4-4A02-8517-B305705A7871.png

You are right. They keep closing all my requests for help and won’t even bother reviewing the facts. 

C03B799E-795A-4732-9412-8797A11CAAC3.jpeg

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Looks like you were paid 2193 CAD. If that's true, I'd count your blessings. 

I wasn’t. That’s my point. The guest canceled for reasons in the screenshot and then I got an email confirming my payout but days later the status changed from “canceled by guest” to “cancelled by Airbnb” and now it’s showing payout of zero. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Si6 

Oh, sorry, that wasn't entirely clear. 

This appears to be just more Airbnb nonsense. One would think... that they could at least explain their logic. But perhaps that logic is so flawed to begin with, that they don't dare explain, as it would be documented cause for reversal.

I've invented a term for whomever makes these decisions... "Incomepoop".

🤨

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Si6 

I tried to find out from CS what would happen in a case where a guest cancelled due to another reason and later, AFTER the cancellation had already been made, contacted them to say they had tested positive (the positive result being after the cancellation date). 

I really didn't get anywhere. They just kept confirming that a guest could cancel if they tested positive, but didn't answer the question RE what happens if that test result is after the cancellation is already made and the message thread shows it was made for another reason. I tried to explain it in every possible way, but the just kept sending me the link to the COVID EC Policy, which of course I already know. 

I can see this situation happening over and over. There are already several threads about it on the CC. Airbnb needs to update the policy to specify that the EC does not cover stays that have already been cancelled before a test result as CS currently doesn't seem to factor in when the test was taken.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

just had a booking cancel due to Covid +VE, but do they have to show proof? I suspect not, and the way our testing is going in Australia, it takes 3 days to get PCR test results, by which time you're halfway through it anyway. I do wish they could have had the courtesy to cancel a weekend booking BEFORE Friday afternoon. 

Just had this same issue.  Guest requested to change dates on the day of his arrival.  When I declined his request he suddenly came down with covid, was diagnosed and refunded in full by AirBNB.  There was no discussion with me or any consideration to his messages leading up to his "diagnosis".

The reservation should have been paid to us following the assigned cancellation policy.

This is a guest that manipulated the AirBNB policy to fit his own agenda and leave my property empty for the next nine nights.  AirBNB does not have the right to make business decisions on our behalf.  They are not equipped and do not take the time to even look at the timeline or prior conversations.  

Pathetic customer service for the hosts.

Any help on how I appeal this decision would be greatly appreciated.  They keep closing my requests with no reply or follow up.  HELP!

Same here. Keep closing requests. And in my case I have her stating reasons for her cancelation like not wanting to come because games are canceled and that she’s scared to expose kids to Covid before she canceled and Airbnb seems to have reversed the basis for cancelation upon unknown me facts AFTER the actual cancelation. 

@Si6  Yes, I l love her line about "exposing the 2 infants" to Covid. 

She was planning to take the "2 infants" to ball games where they would be exposed to thousands of people, a super-spreader event, but suddenly when she wants a refund she's concerned about the children's health.

Yep.