Airbnb issues full refund without communication?

Answered!
Si6
Level 4
Canada

Airbnb issues full refund without communication?

I had a guest who canceled a 2,000 reservation because world juniors games got reduced spectator capacity. I have a strict cancelation policy (for a reason). When they canceled I got an email from Airbnb saying I’ll be receiving a payout minus the cleaning fee.

Today I checked transaction history and saw that this payout was missing. I went back to the reservation and it now says “canceled by Airbnb” and zero dollars are owed to me. NOONE ever contacted me from Airbnb to discuss whether I’m okay with this or to notify me that they decided to issue this refund despite my cancellation policy. What fresh hell is this? Pandemic is nothing new. Why are hosts once again paying up for all the canceled plans???

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Si6 

I tried to find out from CS what would happen in a case where a guest cancelled due to another reason and later, AFTER the cancellation had already been made, contacted them to say they had tested positive (the positive result being after the cancellation date). 

I really didn't get anywhere. They just kept confirming that a guest could cancel if they tested positive, but didn't answer the question RE what happens if that test result is after the cancellation is already made and the message thread shows it was made for another reason. I tried to explain it in every possible way, but the just kept sending me the link to the COVID EC Policy, which of course I already know. 

I can see this situation happening over and over. There are already several threads about it on the CC. Airbnb needs to update the policy to specify that the EC does not cover stays that have already been cancelled before a test result as CS currently doesn't seem to factor in when the test was taken.

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Donna1176 @Si6 

Unfortunately, they've closed it. They'll never respond again. You can bang your head on that wall until you're bloody, but it's over. 

So, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and chalk it up to the cost of doing business on Airbnb. 

Si6
Level 4
Canada

Update: Airbnb suggests she just didn’t tell me the true reason for her cancelation. Up for a vote - which reason is likely true? Her originally stated reason or that someone had Covid? 

FACEBEB8-D4D6-4B63-8703-A39B98E23BAD.jpeg

@Si6  Absurd. Honestly, I know it's a lot of  money you got screwed on, but it doesn't seem like this is worth wasting any more time on. You are dealing with idiots at Airbnb who obviously are intent on supporting the guest and her pathetic lies.

Glenn-and-Xin0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

I just had Airbnb give a full refund to a person who cancelled 2 hours before his check in time. The reservation was 33 days and my policy is strict. I am currently fighting Airbnb to get my payout. I will explore legal options such as a civil lawsuit against Airbnb and the guest.

@Glenn-and-Xin0  Your strict policy doesn't apply to bookings longer than 30 days. All long term bookings have the Long Term cancellation policy attached to them, regardless of a host's normal policy.

However, the Long Term policy is even stricter, as if a guest cancels, they are still charged for the full first month. Read that policy so when you talk to Airbnb you quote that policy, not your Strict one.

The only way the guest could have been refunded is if they claimed they tested positive for Covid, which iscovered by the Extenuating Circumstances policy. They supposedly have to submit proof of that to Airbnb, but hosts have no way of knowing if they actually do. 

Good luck.