Airbnb just became illegal in my town.

A32
Level 2
New York, NY

Airbnb just became illegal in my town.

Hi - Airbnb just became illegal in my town which is really upsetting. We have many reservations for the rest of the year. Has this happened to any of you and if so .. How do you go about it? 

25 Replies 25

Hi John & Sylvia did you ever hear back on this, and also would you know what the current situation is like in North Bergen regards to that? Thanks

Nina231
Level 1
Weehawken, NJ

I have recieved an abate violation letter as well from Weehawken never heard anything that it was being banned in the area 

Michelle833
Level 2
Newark, NJ

Can someone tell me if it is illegal in North Bergen NJ

Michelle - Not sure if anyone ever responded to your question, but I was a recent guest staying in North Bergen and was told by police that airbnb in North Bergen is illegal and carries with it a $1K fine. I had no idea this was even a thing, but now know I'll have to do more digging before booking short-term rentals online. It's unfortunate. 

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

Did u find out

Is it legal to do airbnb in North Bergen I need help 

@Jean4795In this article,  http://hotelworkers.org/article/members-testify-at-north-bergen-airbnb-hearing, it says the town passed a resolution banning rentals of shorter than 30 days.  It also bans advertising short-term rentals, which means people can't list their places on Airbnb and similar sites.

M132
Level 1
Kelowna, Canada

Our city is making it “legal” to do short term rentals now but the restrictions are absolutely absurd - shutting down most places and allowing high end developments to continue as a secondary home. Completely unfair. 

Has anyone found a way around this?  Are there local vacation rental companies that can host your place without the city knowing?  Or perhaps Air Bnb can change its site so exact location and information about the host isn’t available to bylaw crack-down task force teams?

There has to be a way. I refuse to rent long term as our laws protect horrible tenants easily and I still would like access to my place when no one is there. 

Hector318
Level 1
New York, NY

I just got the letter for lyndhurst nj there is no way to face this up airbnb help my family to pay mortgage i cant close doors please if anyboddy knows ? 

George1657
Level 1
Bellefonte, PA

Airbnb just became illegal in residential zones here in State College PA (Penn State) despite the county grabbing an additional 6% of every booking. The local hotel investors must have easily bribed the officials here. Truth is Hotel industry is going the way of cruise lines. I like how we are forced to accept "hope and change" but governments do not.