Airbnb needs to fix their star rating problems!

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

Airbnb needs to fix their star rating problems!

brian.pngThis is totally unfair, and I really hate that Airbnb considers anything less than 5 stars a bad rating. I've read of people's accounts being suspended for bad star ratings..... If they write you a good review but give you less than 5 stars, you should be able to appeal it.
It would be nice if Airbnb either eased up on the hosts or let the guests know how much their star rating will effect the host.

87 Replies 87

Thanks for the post

Hi @Alon1 

I can't seem to find the message advising the suspension.  It was more than 5 days.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cath29 

Thanks for reply.

I've no doubt it was 'more than 5 days' as Airbnb use the word 'Pause' for 5 Days block and 'Suspension' for longer term,  only mentioning 30 Days in relation to it.

So it will be interesting to know if there is also a shorter period than 30 Days?

If you care to find the message you will have received it in your personal email account.

You can also find it and / or cross-check by viewing the calendar for the listing. It would have been blocked for the period of the Suspension.

This is what I got:
"Your listing has been suspended
Because your overall review rating has dropped after recent guest reviews, your listing has been suspended for 5 days. It’s been removed from search results and you won't be able to accept new reservations. In the meantime, you’re still responsible for any upcoming reservations."

And then they disable your ability to view the calendar for the suspended listing while making you responsible for upcomeing bookings. Not sure how that is suposed to work.
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cath29 @Jackie93 @Susan17 

This thread kicked off in 2016.....almost 3.5 years ago, and there have been countless other threads relating to Airbnb's handling of hosts through the star rating system. It would take a moron in the extreme to think that Airbnb are suddenly going to have a change of strategy in the way they instruct guests to rate their hosts.

Hosts have to meet targets but guests are encouraged to down-rate those targets!

Airbnb actively encourage their guests to find fault with a hosting experience! On one hand they tell guests that a 3 star overall rating should be used if the stay was 'up to expectations'. The only time a 5 star should be given is if the stay far exceeded their expectations. On the other hand if the guest gives less than a 5 star in any category the guest will be prompted to describe what could have been improved for future guests......tell the host what was wrong!

The star rating system is a god da*n shambles and it has been exactly that for the past 4 years, so don't expect it to change, Airbnb drive their own agenda here!

We hosts have to be proactive and explain to guests the implications of following Airbnb's instructions when star rating a host.

Here is my method of doing exactly that,  and I am finding that it is working........

only way to fight the star rating systemonly way to fight the star rating system

Here it is, second page in the House Rules folder....

IMG20190107091642.jpg

It is so disappointing that we have to grovel to our guests to simply have the company we support and make money for, keep us on their books.....but that is the reality of the situation. We have to explain that, it is our guests who must support us......... because Airbnb do not!  

Cheers.......Rob

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 & @Cath29 @Jackie93 @Susan17 

Robin,

re: 'If it drops below 4.7 I am threatened with delisting'.

I've addressed this issue before, many times, including to you in person, and most recently in this thread!

It's nonsense, and I suggest you propagate this nonsense because your ratings have never dropped below 4.8, much less 4.7. In short, you have no experience of low ratings. Moreover, you only have 1 listing.

I became SuperHost for the first time 6 months ago after 6 years of Hosting. 

- In the period when the SH requirement was 80%, my figures ranged between 54% - 69%.

- When it changed to 4.8, my figure was 4.5.

I achieved SH still with overall figure of 4.5

I am currently 4.6.

Can you explain how this is possible? Because according to your premise I should have been delisted along time ago. Yet I survived and flourished without your kind of systematic re-education of my Guests. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alon1 

Alon, I really would prefer you did not respond to any more of my posts, seriously!

I will explain how this can happen and I would ask you to just accept that, ok!

I currently sit on a 4.93 rating. If 3 guests in the next 5 were to give me 2  star ratings it will drop me to a 4.7 and I will be threatened with delisting if I don't address my issues.

We are here to help each other with our differing experiences, and it does the CC no good to have contributors calling other contributors experiences or opinions ....nonsense.

Alon you run your listing your way I will run mine my way, lets just leave it at that and please refrain from responding to further posts of mine. You will note I have already taken the action of deliberately not tagging you in my posts!

@Robin4 @Alon1 

We're all on the same side here gentlemen - or at least, we should be. Because then, we might have some  hope - however small - of standing together and fighting back, in order to effect positive change. 

Why are we allowing Airbnb's unfathomable, deliberately opaque policies and practices - and the million different possible interpretations of them - to have us arguing amongst each other, and to fracture and fragment us as a community? We all know by now (or should do, anyway) that there are no right or wrong answers when it comes to how Airbnb deals with anything - it all depends on the time, depends on the day, depends on the mood of the CX agent you get on the phone, depends on which way the wind is blowing... depends on any number of variables (most of them, way beyond our control)

Don't let the "divide and conquer" tactics win.  

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 @Susan17 

Robin,

Sorry, It's not a matter of how we run our separate listings, but our understanding of the Rating System which affects us all equally. There is no one rule for you and one rule for me!

In the absence of Airbnb's clarification, or in Susan's words 'transparency', we can at least inform each other of our experiences. 

Therefore, based on my experience over 6 - 7 years (and a few others I've come across on CC), if your figure falls to 4.7 you will not receive any sanction!

That's because the rating system is computer generated,  and only when it descends to 4.2 you will  receive notification of '5 Days Pause' to listing  If it falls to 3.9 you will receive a Suspension. (I can't tell how long, as I have not had this experience, but Cath has, and she has yet to trace the email notification).

Nevertheless, your comment 'If 3 guests in the next 5 were to give me to 2 star ratings...' is intriguing.

As Susan stipulates in her address to both of us, It suggests that you are so incredibly 'fearful' and believe that your shiny chart is making a significant difference, whereby Guests are responding to it not from intelligence but a form of compassion to keep poor Robin afloat.-- Some would consider it as manipulating guests and artificially inflating Host figures. 

However, based on your actual figures, I rather suspect that without your chart, you will continue to receive decent Ratings. Perhaps they won't be quite as high as they are now, and per chance you had a run of three 2 Star figures, all that would happen is that you will lose your Super Host status for a minimum period of a quarter.

That's the reality. You can imagine what you like, but if you continue to propagate the product of your imagination, I will continue to call it out on this public forum.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Robin4 @Alon1 @Cath29 @Jackie93 

Rob and Al... you guys both know how long I've been writing about Airbnb's reviews/ratings/SH system being an abusive, exploitative, manipulative behaviour modification tool, (cooked up by a man who penned a book called "The Culting of Brands" - if that's not a roaring red flag, I don't know what is!), in conjunction with being a colossal data heist (data is now the world's most valuable resource - the oil of the digital era)

Even after all these years, and despite hundreds of thousands of impassioned (and ignored) pleas from bamboozled hosts searching for answers, there is still absolutely no clarity or transparency whatsoever around the system - hence the endless, endless deluge of threads here in the CC and across all social media, from hosts stressing, obsessing and agonising on the subject... and yet, still nobody has the first idea how it really works, or is supposed to work, even now. 

Don't you see how utterly preposterous that is, and understand that this is exactly the way Airbnb has designed the system to be?? (Otherwise, they'd have simplified and clarified it years ago, wouldn't they?) But as long as everyone is so completely wrapped up in their obsession with reviews and star ratings, their attention will be conveniently diverted from all the real sh*t that's going on with this company. Just like its supposed to be.

But instead of pushing back and flatly  refusing to buy into such an oppressive, f*cked-up system, hosts have instead (inexplicably, to my mind) tied themselves in knots trying to find ways to jump through Airbnb's ridiculous hoops, and come up with ever-more ludicrous ways of playing their game - this "education" of guests on the review system being a prime example. 

I get that hosts (very mistakenly) feel that it's the only way, and they've become so beaten down by theoverwhelming  preoccupation with glittering 5 star ratings, that they're willing to debase themselves and in some cases, even allow themselves to be abused and mistreated by guests in the craven, misguided pursuit of the utterly worthless superhost status. What they don't seem to grasp, however, is that the more hosts allow themselves to be controlled by the fear of less-than-perfect ratings (ie 4 stars in the parallel universe of Airbnb), the more punitive, abusive and exploitative the system has become.

So evidently, all this "guest education" really isn't having the desired effect, and by playing their game, hosts are enabling and facilitating Airbnb (and unscrupulous guests) to become ever more controlling and manipulative, and to sh*t on them from an even greater height. I really don't understand how that's not as clear as day to everyone at this point. 

And if it's true that all this angst and "education" relating to reviews is really so necessary, how can it possibly be that I - as a host who never, ever broaches the subject of reviews with my guests, never looks at my star ratings and to be honest, rarely even reads my own reviews anymore - am about to become one of a very small number of hosts worldwide, who has achieved superhost for the 22nd time - every single time since the programme was first implemented 5 and a half years ago?

My theory is that it's because, rather than spending my time trying to figure out how best to coerce/cajole/beg guests for 5 star ratings, I fully concentrate my efforts on making sure they have the very best experience and the most memorable time possible at my place, and then I leave them in peace to review (or not review) me, as they see fit. Works for me, and at least I can be happy in the knowledge that whatever guests do choose to write in their reviews of me, my home and my hospitality, is a genuine and authentic reflection of their feelings, rather than something they felt obliged to write, or guilt-tripped into leaving. 

If hosts had put even a tiny fraction of the time and efforts they've put into buying into the review hysteria and coming up with silly "workarounds" all these years, into fighting back against the system and telling Airbnb to shove their ratings and shambolic SH status where the sun don't shine, then maybe - just maybe - we wouldn't all be up sh*t creek without a paddle now.  

Excellent place to stay! Very clean, peaceful and came with all the necessary tools a house needs. 5-star experience !

@Bernard947  Is this a review you are trying to leave for a host? If so, you have posted it on the community discussion forum, not left it where it will be published for the place you stayed. 

I run an airbnb in SOMA district of San Francisco, litterally 5 blocks from 888 Bryant, the Airbnb HQ building. We have homeless, garabge and feces littererally EVERYWHERE downtown. I have had my listings suspended multiple times for consistant 4 star reviews, most of which are 4 starts due to location rateings. If AirBnb is going to penalize a host for people not likeing their location then why would they subject their own employees to litterally the same location?