Airbnb next to a cemetery

Mackenzie80
Level 2
Spicer, MN

Airbnb next to a cemetery

Hi everyone, 

We are looking for a 2nd Airbnb to open. We found a perfect property but it’s located right next to a cemetery.  I am wondering if anyone has a short term rental right next to a cemetery. Does this impact how much it rents? Do you disclose this in your listing? Do people leave negative reviews related to its proximity to a cemetery. 

looking forward to reading any responses! 

25 Replies 25
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Add a Ghost Tour Experience, and make it the major selling point of your accommodation!

@Mackenzie80  I will not buy this property. Maybe it is a cultural difference, I will never want to rent a house next to a cemetery. I know a lot of people do care about that especially people come from Asian, such as China, India. So if you do buy it and use for STR, I think better disclose it in your list. I know most of US people don’t care. Just cultural differences. So if most of the renter are from US, I think it should be OK.

@Z-2  And it's the opposite here in Mexico. They celebrate Day of the Dead on Nov. 2, and there are altars set up in public everywhere, with photos of one's dear departed. Parades in the streets. Cemeteries are colorful and graves decorated festively. The skeleton figure is ubiquitous in many of the traditional crafts. Death is accepted as an inevitable event and not surrounded by fear or superstition.

@Sarah977 I know. It’s a cultural thing. After come to live in US more than 30 years. We accept many new things here. Just still will have uneasy feeling at night around cemetery. Day time is Ok. So definitely not stay there for vacation.

@Z-2  When you say it is Asian culture, Asia encompasses a huge area. Is it associated with a specific religion or belief system, like Buddhism, or exactly what? 

I guess it is related Buddhism originally. I am not sure since I do not believe Buddhism. But I do know all Asia people I know of will not want to live near the cemetery unless it is their own relatives there. Sure you can say that is just a small part. No argument here. Just my opinion. Thanks!

@Z-2  Thanks for the reply. I was just curious to understand the basis for the aversion to cemeteries.

Like many cultural beliefs, I guess the beliefs of the prevailing religion in an area can affect the attitudes of everyone in general, even if they don't actually believe in the teachings of that religion. 

You are the one always like to help people! I have no problem with your questions, just hard to explain that, but it exists there. Thanks!

@Mackenzie80  What type of attractions are bringing most travelers to the area this property is in?

Being next to a cemetery shouldn't be an issue in a town that's known for historical and cultural sites. But it would be a bit of a bummer on a beach holiday.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

If your place is close to the area, where these guys are performing, it will be definitely booked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Pallbearers