Airbnb not refunding fees

Airbnb not refunding fees

Its crazy Airbnb is not refunding their booking fees and is only refunding the money that would be earned by the owners. They took ppp money and they still are collecting the fees.. crooks...

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jack1517 

What are the dates of the trip (booking, trip dates and cancellation date). Its possible that the trip didn't qualify under the blanket EC policy.

They are making guest provide documentation to get Airbnb booking fees refunded

@Jack1517 

The funny(?) thing is.... many guests I've talked to have been quite accepting of the fact that *fees* are not refunded. But they all assume and expect that if they cancel before the stay, they should get a full refund for the booking amount since they aren't going to stay. 

refund.png

They are making guest provide documentation to get Airbnb booking fees refunded after we are pressured into giving full refunds

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Jack1517 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

What's actually happening in many instances, is that Airbnb is not making it clear to guests (either on the notifications they're seeing on their side, or their interactions with CX) that documentation is required for a full refund.

Instead, the guests are simply being told that their cancellations aren't covered under COVID/EC - even when they absolutely are - but they're not being given the real reason as to why they don't qualify,  and just being informed that it's because of the host's canx policy. Then CX is routing those guests back to the hosts, with an "Issue Full Refund" request.

Consequently, when the unsuspecting host agrees to the full refund (as most would, knowing that the guest's booking falls within the COVID/EC dates and therefore should qualify for full refund), this then is classified as a "mutual cancellation" by Airbnb, and disqualifies the host from receiving their measly 12.5% on that booking, while allowing Airbnb to charge their own service fees on that booking.

Moral of the story: Do NOT press any "Issue Full Refund" buttons, guys. Send the guests right back to Airbnb, and make them do their job and compensate both hosts and guests as per the terms of their global media PR campaign. 

Can you send me a copy what you are giving to the guest when they cancel?   Do you a template I could use.  jack

Diane453
Level 2
Burlington, Canada

Yes this happened to me!  Also I have bookings in the summer and I will be penalized if I cancel them, I am wanted to just rent it longer term but can’t, I feel like I’m on hold.  This has put hosts in very difficult situations, why are they doing this to us?

@Diane453  "

@Diane453 wrote:

why are they doing this to us?

Oh, I can think of all kinds of reasons. Here's one: if hosts are penalized for cancelling, and Airbnb tells the guests to hold off on cancelling in case the 100% refund period gets extended (which they are telling guests), that means Airbnb gets to hold onto guests' payments that much longer. They love holding onto other people's money- not only does it puff up their bank account when wooing new investors, they get to collect interest on all that money.

It just amazing how the treat the owners (the people that provide the product).   They just collect the money.   Bad management.  Customer support is angry and have no answers.

So a guest rents your house for 60 days or even 30 days and then they cancel they day of travel.  You the owner looses all revenue because Airbnb forces  the owner to give a full refund.   Unreal  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jack1517 

Such a reservation has the "long term stay" cancellation policy attached, which means the guest has to pay at least 30 nights. If cancelled because of COVID Extenuating Circumstances, a full refund (including Airbnb Service fee, max. 3 times a year) is only possible if the guest is infected by COVID.

The normal EC policy will change on 20 januari:  limited reasons for guests to cancel because of EC.

I have asked Airbnb to specifically provide me in the EC policy where they the renter gets a full refund by providing a positive Covid test. I have a strict cancellation policy. As you know Covid will be around probably for another 23 years just like the flu. I had a client book on December 20 and cancel on the date of their arrival by sending in a positive Covid test. I’ve asked Airbnb to provide in the EC policy I have a client who books December 20, 2020 can cancel on December 27, 2020 the date of their arrival when I have a strict policy. Airbnb still has not provided this in their EC policy and they keep tap dancing around their decision making.  I even had my attorney review it and he says nowhere in this policy does it state they can enforce that

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jack1517 

"Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made after March 14, 2020 will not be covered under our extenuating circumstances policy, except where the guest or host is currently sick "

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...