Airbnb payout clawback 18 months later

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Airbnb payout clawback 18 months later

My latest payout has two downward "adjustments" for reservations from Oct/Nov 2017. One reduces my payout for the associated reservation to zero. Airbnb CS has been unable to explain this except to say that it's a correction for a previous error. Has this happened to anyone else?

18 Replies 18
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

OMG - @Lisa723 @Susan17  - Lisa, I had the SAME EXACT THING HAPPEN TO ME when I relisted this past summer.  In early August I also showed a deduction from an impending pay-out - also for $30.00 - exactly like you write, here: "The other is a completely unexplained $30 deduction for a reservation that was extended by the guest resulting in an additional payment. Airbnb CS seems to be unable to explain/document either one."  

In my case, I called Airbnb and challenged it immediately. Customer Support did not know what was going on or why my impending pay-out was going to have 30.00 deducted from it. I was told by Customer Support, "We will research and call you back in an hour". No call came. As this was my first upcoming booking since re-listing (I wanted to 'test the waters' to see if I felt comfortable hosting for Airbnb still after taking a few months off), there was nothing that I could have possibly owed money for. 

So I called Airbnb Customer Service back and said I needed my call escalated. I finally got a 'case manager'. I said that I was going to de-list my property and cancel all my upcoming reservations and never list with them again if they did not correct this immediately and remove this 30.00 deduction from my upcoming guest stay and pay-out. That did the trick - They agreed to remove the deduction immediately. 

The only thing I can think that may have happened is a YEAR BEFORE a guest had been told by Airbnb she owed me 30.00 when she did not - she had already paid me through Airbnb for renting a second bedroom last minute for a guest she decided to bring. So they double-charged her, I believe, and she then got the one charge reversed; but then Airbnb apparently tried to pass that mistaken double charge onto me - which was a charge that never should have been - and never should have been deducted from my earnings.

So weird that we both had an unexplained $30.00 deduction!

Liam1434
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

I had an "adjustment" debited from my payout 8.5 years late!!, with no warning or notification of such during this 8.5 year period, how is this legal given unpaid invoices can only be claimed for up to 6 years?

@Liam1434 I would not assume it is legal.