Airbnb perm deactivated my sprhost account after kicking out meth addicts who stayed thru Open Homes

Erica250
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb perm deactivated my sprhost account after kicking out meth addicts who stayed thru Open Homes

I have 2 listings, I'm a superhost and had a PLUS listing as well, I have only had amazing reviews and amazing experiences 5 stars all the way.  Airbnb had also been a main form of income.  I decided to be a good person and put my listing on Open Homes thinking that I would be helping a fire victim.  I allowed the guest Jenn to check in when I was not home, but they didn't end up checking in until 2am.  They left the house at 4am.  I heard some noises and went out into the hallway at 4:30am, they left the bedroom door open and their light on and I could see that the room was not looking right and I could see syringes from the hallway.  I then locked myself in my bedroom and called airbnb, telling them I felt very uncomfortable.  As I have hosted many many guests and have never had guests act this way, I was really scared and concerned for my safety.  On the phone with airbnb, the representative told me to take photos of what I saw and send them to Airbnb, which is why I then entered the bedroom to take photos as I was told by an airbnb rep, she also said to call the police.  When I went to take photos, I saw hundreds of syringes, butane bottles and spoons, and being a woman that lives alone, it scared the hellout of me, I was scared for my safety, and did not feel safe at all, so I gathered their things which wasn't a lot, and put it outside, cancelled the reservation and left them a message telling them that I didn't feel comfortable hosting them anymore.  I only went into the bedroom because the airbnb host that I was talking to told me to take photos.  These guests were obviously abusing the Open Homes program, and they were freebasing pronbably meth in my home.  Once Airbnb permantly deactivates your account, you no longer can sign in or get support.  Its ridiculous.  I can't beleive that I did something kind out of the bottom of my heart, and was treated this way by Airbnb.

20 Replies 20
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pete28@Erica250 You can never legally remove someones things from a rental - unless you have gone through an eviction and all the legal paperwork and paid out a lot of monies. Even then usually it is with police and orders from the court. So we might think this is cool to do if they break our rules or do wrong but it IS NOT.

I am speaking for the state of Florida but I'm fairly confident that such laws are similar in every state in the USA. 

That is why calling the Police is first on the actions when something bad is happening.

2nd - get to a safe place

3rd - Call Airbnb and tell them what you have done and what's happening.

This is what I am fairly sure would be the wise thing to do in a fearful, dangerous, unsafe situation of hosting. 

Remember Airbnb is a booking agency and can not make you safe.

peace and blessings, Clara

@Clara116

Yes for long term rental, short term is simply a contract which you can terminate and ask to leave.

Possessions however seems a more murky topic - I can't imagine a hotel would leave them in a room if you failed to take them. I still think the guests probably spun some story which lead to account being closed. It's not encouraging 😞

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Pete28 I think alot of people are not really reading the actual chain of events that Erica posted. 

She also asked Airbnb to give Police information about the guests - plus, they were on Open Homes so they didn't pay anything - WOW what a story this would be and you can bet Airbnb doesn't want their name attached to it.

they place Meth Heads in a Open Home free from a superhost with a big heart - not very good press - and her putting their stuff out and messaging them that she was uncomfortable and had cancelling - AND the big one was that she didn't have Airbnb Cancel the meth heads guests  it was  probably that chain that did it. Then calling Airbnb for info about the guests for police - you see, they just stop it by shutting down the main source and unfortunately it was Super host Erica. Sad but true......

@Clara116 

would be be interesting to know - they are pushing the open homes thing so it's possible. One thing is certain - her account is gone, all for trying to help people.

Everyday I grow less enthusiastic about Airbnb and how it treats its hosts.

Hannah315
Level 2
New York, NY

Ok, this scares me.  I’m so sorry this happened to you.  I’ve had a few not so safe people contact me recently about staying in my home as I am also signed up with Open Homes.  I think it’s a great idea in theory, but I want to get out of it and I can’t find any actual info on how to remove my home from their database.  Anyone know the answer?  Airbnb really needs to get its act more together when it comes to protecting hosts 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Erica250  I see you are all good both listings back ................back on Airbnb .....DO Tell us what was the outcome and how did it all get resolved.  This was very upsetting for many.............Please let folks know it somehow worked out OK.  Thanks, Clara