Airbnb photographer coming on Friday - what do I need?

Helen267
Level 10
St. Andrews, United Kingdom

Airbnb photographer coming on Friday - what do I need?

I am new to this, and I wondered if any of you could take a look at my listing, The Green Lodge Aviemore, with a view to helping me improve it.

I know I probably need fewer shots, and better ones of the interiors, but is there anything else that springs to mind? I've booked a photographer via Airbnb and he's coming on Friday, so I would be really grateful for any suggestions before then.

Thanks for reading!

Helen

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/28601045?location=Aviemore&s=IL-sRZO3

12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen267

I am really wondering why  you need an AirBnB photographer! Place looks great - the shot of the living room probably has too many cushions and  throws, but other than that I would look at the ordering of your pics. Start one or two outside ones, then move logically through the  house, living area, kitchen followed by bedrooms/bathrooms. Ensure your beds are perfectly made!

Good luck - looks amazing

Helen267
Level 10

Thank you!  I will work on that now.  I thought the Airbnb photographer would have a wide angle lens - with three of the bedrooms, the living room and the kitchen it's really hard to take a decent picture (the current ones are from a friend who takes great shots, and my phone).

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Helen267 cancel the shoot............you will not get better photos! your place is wonderful BUT you have way tooooooo many photos.

just use about 15 - 20 -  ONE outside shot,  1 - inside living room, 1 bedroom,  1 kitchen, 1 bathroom. a few details and end with the dog or somethings that will bring a smile. 

take the guests on a quick journey through the place - You have 8 seconds to get the booking - folks are looking at lots of places and so with 50 pics its too much.....

right now you have 23 pics before we see the bed - too many, trust me.

Your photos are truly just what you need - they are so well done. good luck and happy hosting. 

Hope you don't mind my suggestions... best to you, Clara

Helen267
Level 10

Thank you so much Clara!  8 seconds to grab their attention? I'll get editing.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What they said, above. Cancel that shoot, ditch a load of pics. 
Squirrels don't sell rooms. 

Helen267
Level 10

Thanks Gordon, I'm laughing at your comment about the squirrels. We have them scampering up and down the trees all around us and I'm crazy about them but you're dead right, they don't sell rooms!

@Gordon0and, @Helen267, I'm not sure that the squirrel should go, but the photographer?  Definitely.  GONE.

Helen, you've done an outstanding job.  I'd like a wider angle in some places, but this is a GREAT presentation!!  Totally 'get' the feel of your place and would book it in a second.

Best,

Kim
Helen267
Level 10

Oh wow Kimberly, thank you so much! It's fairly nerve-racking at the moment, me with my one solitary booking all on its lonesome, starting to wonder did I do my research wrong, why aren't I being snapped up?

I know why: it's because of price and zero reviews. I know my prices reflect good value in my marketplace, and that once I'm known to my tribe of active family groups and luxury-loving adventurers I am going to be the IDEAL place to stay. 

I am pinning a great deal of hope on a gold star review from our first guests.  If bookings don't pick up after the October halfterm holidays I will drop the rates in the run up to Christmas.

@Helen267, be very careful about dropping rates.  You don't want the low-life crowd, right? 

Spice up your sales-pitch (keep the squirrel!). 

If you don't have a separate house, you are not a hotel and so you can INDEED discriminate--and you should!  (Oh, man... I'm gonna get *BLEEPED* in this one!)  

Sell UP, don't sell OUT.

Best,

Kim
Helen267
Level 10

UPDATE: I am very grateful for everyone taking the time to look at my listing and comment, and I don't want to be that person who asks for advice and then la la la la blithely ignores it, claiming to know better than people who've been doing this for years.

Here is why I'm not going to cancel the photographer: it's a close knit community where we are and he's a local guy who is an astoundingly good photographer - and his fee is frankly on the low side of reasonable. I do think I need wide angle shots of the rooms, and I intend to social media the heck out of the actual shoot itself, tagging Airbnb who might hopefully repost some of the pics - I assume they want to promote the photography service?

So all things considered..... and the squirrel might get a reprieve, but downgraded to the end of the roll of photos!

Thanks again to everyone who took the trouble to comment - you're a lovely lot.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen267

Lovely to meet you. 

I agree with the others here, your listing looks wonderful. What I like about your photos is that they make me picture what my time would be like staying in your lovely home and therefore encourages me to want to book. It looks cozy and stylish. 🙂

I believe the bookings will come in and perhaps as we are moving into the cooler months, this will attract more guests who are looking for a peaceful and relaxing place to enjoy (although, it's a great place to enjoy during the Summer months). 

It would be great to hear how your photography shoot goes later on in the week and here's to more future bookings. 

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen267
Level 10

Well, just to update, it's been four weeks exactly since the photographer's visit, and *not a squeak* from Airbnb, nor sign of any of the photos. The photographer thought it usually took 2-3 weeks, Airbnb are saying it can take up to four weeks, but I confess I did think they were just saying that to downplay expectations, because four weeks strikes me as a loooooong time to process a dozen or so photos. Apparently not.