Airbnb putting hosts on the line instead of supporting our published cancellation policy

S14
Level 9
New York, NY

Airbnb putting hosts on the line instead of supporting our published cancellation policy

We are in NYC. The governor of NY is now requiring all visitors from MOST states to self quarantine for 14 days. And the mayor announced today that they plan to put up check points. So, almost everyone is cancelling.

In recent announcements from Airbnb, they have said that if a guest books after mid-March 2020, then they are fully aware that they are booking during a major global pandemic and so they know that there is a risk with planning travel. For that reason, Airbnb has stated that their extenuating circumstances policy would not apply and that the cancellation policy in the listing would apply.

Airbnb has no backbone. No consistency. Sometimes, they give guests a full refund anyway, even though they had full knowledge of the pandemic when they booked. Sometimes they don’t.

So, that’s an old story by now. Here’s something new:

There are still so very many cancellations due to the pandemic for people who booked after the pandemic was in full swing. My head is spinning – cancellations, bookings, more cancellations. It’s a nightmare.

So, instead of just saying that the cancellation policy they agreed to when booking applies, Airbnb publishes articles online that repeatedly encourage guests to ask the hosts if they would be willing to give full refunds. Why??? This makes us, the hosts, look like bad guys to our guests. After saying no, these guests will not return to us. Since Airbnb made the policy to NOT count these cancellations in with the extenuating circumstances policy, they should stick to it. And be consistent.

Just another in the growing huge list of ways that Airbnb fails to support the hosts that make their platform. Very unhappy.

12 Replies 12
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@S14  Be strong!  Sounds like the full refunds are going to guests without your consent.  But should Airbnb ask, just say no.

I tell guests I will refund the 50% balance if I'm able to re-book the days.  As my place is a vacation rental in Maine, I was able to do that.  But I don't want Airbnb making that decision for me.  Guests need to grow the eff up.  How often do they book non-refundable air travel?

@Ann72 

I agree with the analogy to non-refundable air travel. No one freaks out about that because everyone knows that it's not negotiable. When guests think they can harrass us (both the hosts and Airbnb Support) and pressure us into refunding, that's what they do. Why open the door, Airbnb?

Look, if we want, we can always send guests money. Always have been able to. Guests always talk to hosts. We have a message thread. So, if we want to make an exception, we can -- always could. But when Airbnb TELLS guests to ask the hosts for a refund when it is expressly not allowed, oy what a can of worms.  Truly a nightmare.

@S14  It's unconscionable that they are allowed to tell guests that.  

@Ann72

Yes -- Not only do they tell them that, they have pop-ups when people cancel with a bit giant read oval button that says "Ask your host for a full refund" -- Honestly, a guest sent me a screenshot to show me. I'd find it to post here, but I've been dealing with so very many of these cancellations that my head is spinning. I'd have to open the gory message threads for each one to find it. (Headache just thinking about it.) Anyway, that's what they are doing.

Terribly unconscionable that Airbnb does that.

Definition of a policy is something that applies in all situations with common specified circumstances. It is dishonest for Airbnb to tell hosts that they are defining EC -- and then effectively eliminate their own policies by diverting the wrath to the hosts.

I got one of these automated requests yesterday when a guest pushed that button. When I didn't respond, the reservation stayed active, not cancelled. There was NO button for me to say NO. There was only a button for me to accept, which I'm not doing.

So, I had to awkwardly go back to the guest. I just said "I'm sorry, but it seems that your cancellation didn't go through. Can you please try again, if you're definitely cancelling? If you're coming, we'll welcome you. Please let us know so we can make arrangements."

@S14  Please, when you have a minute, get that screenshot, and post it in Host Circle.  That's a closed group, i.e., can't find any of it by Googling.  We all need to see this and try to do something about it.

@Ann72

Yes, I will look for it. Thank you for info about the closed group.

Regards,

S

@Ann72

You wrote <should Airbnb ask, just say no> regarding full refunds.  Yes, but the problem is that Airbnb tells the guests that they are asking.So, when the guests get the "no" they know exactly where it came from. And the hostility is unbearable.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If someone is booking whilel the pandemic is in full swing  and the reason they are doing so is for a holiday,  it should be guest beware.   If someone is booking because they have no choice, like family emergency or work requirement, I would be more sympathetic.  Normally I would say any booking for travel should be the guest responsibility to get travel insurance but I think pandemic is an out for the travel insurance industry.  

@Linda108 

If it's a family emergency, like illness, I believe that is covered under the EC policy.

If they have to cancel due to work requirements, they need to ask their employer to cover the cost.

Lisha141
Level 1
Whitewood, SD

What about guests that booked before the March date but wait until 2 days prior to cancell and then they use covid as the reason leaving the host high and dry with no payment.  Guests know that if they are afraid of covid they were afraid in March and April and May and June and July.  Our policy was strict and because they used Covid airbnb still refunded them.  This is a policy that I did not agree to. I could have rented the room 10 times over the month before but not 2 days prior.  This policy needs to be re looked at.  

@Lisha141

I agree. I just wish there was a way to communicate constructive suggestions to Airbnb. We all know that they categorically ignore anything sent to that fake "feedback" link. Your point is important and real.

Some of those guests tell me -- understandably -- that they see Airbnb constantly changing their policy about this. So, they want to wait to see if it gets changed in their favor -- and that often does happen!

For example (and we're talking only about people who booked before March 14, 2020):

At first, Airbnb offered full refunds, no questions asked, to anyone with check-in dates through May 30, 2020. Then, just a few weeks later, they extended it to apply to checkin dates through June. Then, later through July -- and on and on. Honestly, we don't know when they change it because they fail to communicate even one word about it to hosts (or guests). As of yesterday, this policy extended to people with a checkin date as late as Sept. 15th. So, because I keep checking (and that takes a lot of time and missed opportunities) I was able to send a heads up to guest whose checkin date was Sept 14. I already knew they planned to cancel but were waiting to see if Airbnb would extend the date. Even then, it took a lot of gentle prodding for me to get them to go ahead and cancel so the dates would free up on our calendar. That is only one of many, really many, of our reservations with a similar story.

So, now my guest from Europe with a reservation checkin date of Sept 16, who obviously cannot come to NYC due to Covid, won't cancel yet because they have good reason to believe that Airbnb will probably (maybe?) extend the date when it gets close -- too close IMO. I know they aren't going to come, but they have good incentive to wait until kind of the last minute.

Look, every scientist on the planet (excepting only conspiracy wackos) says we won't have a vaccine for a very long time. Why not go ahead and extend the policy (hello Airbnb -- anyone listening?) -- just extend it now to cover anything through say March 2021 -- assuming they booked before March 14, 2020.  Stop the torture. Please. Let everyone know where we stand. BUT -- AIrbnb should please send an automated message to very outstanding reservation that was booked pre-covid and offer that full refund ONLY if they cancel NOW. Don't give them permission to torture the hosts with endless discussions. Say, give them 2 weeks, or even 30 days (no more -- please) to figure things out and cancel if they want. If they choose not to take that opportunity, make it clear that the host's cancellation policy will apply and that Covid travel advisories are not covered under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy. Just come out and say it -- in a direct message to each and every guest who this applies to.

We used to have lots of bookings like 6 months to a full year or more in advance! So, this category applies to many reservations for us -- it's like a never ending nightmare.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@S14 

You don't control the income you don't control the business, ergo Airbnb hosts are not self employed...