Airbnb refunding a guest for cancelling because Airbnb is prohibited...everywhere?

David3695
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Airbnb refunding a guest for cancelling because Airbnb is prohibited...everywhere?

Had a guest who cancelled on arrival before even setting foot in the property because they saw a year old notice on the notice board that short-term letting (under 90 days) was prohibited by local council regulations (aimed at targeting Airbnbs). 

I sent them the updated legislation showing them that in Sydney it had been changed to allow 180 nights a year. They weren't comfortable becuase were worried they would be arrested and wanted to book a DIFFERENT AIRBNB! Tried to explain that if it was illegal there it was going to be illegal everywhere and they would need to book a hotel.

The worst part is, Airbnb gave them a FULL REFUND despite the strict cancellation policy! At what point does the burden of common sense fall on the guest?

Airbnb literally has the worst customer service (if you are a host, wonderful if you're a guest because you get a refund for it being a windy day when you arrive).

End rant.

9 Replies 9
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@David3695 I wanted to send you a gif that said Are you kidding me, but can't, so AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@David3695 

Airbnb CS...Unbelievable!!!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

That's absurd. I wonder if the guest found another Airbnb???

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hahahahah @David3695, common sense? Yes, and Santa and the tooth fairy are real too 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@David0@Kath@Ann@Susie@Emilia

A little commonsense goes a long way.

keep an eye out and see who the guest went and stayed with in the area...and make sure in the next Host Forum with Airbnb that you point out the short falling.

Perhaps even include a screenshot of it in our questions we would like answers to.

All the best

Steeven0
Level 2
Québec City, Canada

Regulations are a big deal. Here in my home town they have been struggeling for over a year. They finally came up with a plan (legal 90 days or less) and the day afer, the government says it's not up to the cities but it's up to the gov to make the rules. Now we are waiting again

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Steeven0 @David3695 @Diana970 @Kath9 @Emilia42 @Susie@Ann

@Steeven0 

That's what happens when one has interactions with Local government level personell, thye think they are above the Law of the land when indeed they must adhere to National government legilislation which of course includes the wider International laws that we all have basic Human Rights under.

Meanwhile make sure you all speak up and put in submissions wherever you may be in the world...

We are blessed to live in the digital age where we can communicate & share information in the way we do in  an instant, please however remember to share that info with those who may not yethave access thriugh the internet to keep them in the loop.

All the best

Diana970
Level 1
Baltimore, MD

I agree.  I find airbnb support system to be . . non-existent most of the time.

And now they refuse to accept telephone calls?  or emails from hosts?

Some of these "guest" need to be avoided, but how to judge them?

I disagree. I've had few instances where I had to involve Airbnb and they answered the phone each and every time. Assess my complaint, they even paid me within a week when a customer damaged my something in my apartment.  I found them very helpful in each case.  Here the secret: As soon as you see there's an issue arising, call and ask what you should do in case something happens, they will document your concern and if you or your guest have to call back, this is something is something that is already documented.  If you have photos or video, that would help as well.  Keep all conversations on the platform, even if the guest says, they just want to talk, follow up with a note to them on the platform.  Let things stay above board and you'll do well with customer service and host support.  I hope this helps.