Airbnb rejected to pay $220,000 in damage for a SHOOTING case under Host Guarantee Program

Airbnb rejected to pay $220,000 in damage for a SHOOTING case under Host Guarantee Program

In April, I rented one of my properties on Airbnb to 3 guests. Aparantly, the guests planned a party and invited 55 guests. At around 1 am, the party became violent and two groups started to shoot at each other from inside and outside the house. Our camera footage shows 42 bullets came out of the guns and hit the house!!! I got a call at 3 am from police telling me about the situation and I had to drive to the property because the door was totally shattered. Thankfully, no one was injured!! But it has been a NIGHTMARE with Airbnb back and forth about this claim. 

Long story short, Airbnb sent the case to another firm named Crawford (which is an adjuster company) to write an estimate of damage which is a clear conflict of interest and I flagged this in my first email. Basically, Airbnb pays a company to write a low estimate on the repair which is a fraud!!! I also hired a 5 star general contractor to meet with the adjuster and they agree on the estimate. Crawford asked my contractor to send his estimate which was a detailed estimate with some sub-contractors and came up to $220,000. After several weeks of receiving my contractor estimate and probably 50 phone calls, Crawford asked many questions and sent the final report to Airbnb! After 2.5 months, Airbnb came up with an offer which is ridicolously low and doesn't even cover the painting of the affected areas!! I have cc'ed the CEO of Airbnb on the email and told them about the fraud that is happening at Airbnb. 

If you are a new host, you should know that $1,000,000 "Host Guarantee Program" is a lie by Airbnb to just bring more hosts to sign up. Many homeowner insurances will deny your claim if they know the house is listed for Airbnb. Also, Airbnb will reject your claim when something catastrophic happens. Just know the amount of risks you are taking by listing your properties on Airbnb! 

What Airbnb didn't know is that they picked the wrong battle in this case!! I am finalizing my attorney choice and will hold them accountable! Just wanted to see who had similar experience as a host and if they suggest any other attorney to consider? Any host would like to join the class action lawsuit? So far, I have identified around 100 hosts who have had similar horrible experience with Airbnb Host Guarantee Program. Anyone in the media who would like to cover similar stories, many hosts would like to talk with you! The Airbnb IPO is coming. Good timing for publishing horror stories of hosts for potential investors ... 

IMG_4732.jpge5205572-3e42-4891-9429-d0559a29ebdd.jpgIMG_4889.jpgIMG_5165.jpgIMG_0448.jpg

88 Replies 88

@George470It seems that Airbnb strategy is to get more and more new hosts to join instead of keeping existing hosts.

I have the same feeling as you have. Definitely Airbnb is short sighted in their strategy. When there are too many negative news about Airbnb, it will hurt not only Airbnb's business but also millions of hosts who partially or fully rely on their platforms financially.

Some people may say that statistically the incidents occurred in Airbnb are not more significantly higher than average in the society. Statistics are not meaningful without context since they are just pure numbers. Orignially and may be currently most listings are private residential properties. No property owners like to have their neighborhood becoming worse as a result of the issues of Airbnb properties near theirs. That is why more and more cities/communities start to ban Airbnb. It is not a good sign for both Airbnb company and Airbnb hosts.

If you look at data in AirDNA, in many cities the number of Airbnb properties is going down and that’s a significant problem for the company and potential investors see that. Airbnb can’t ignore its promises. These horror stories will prevent so many people to list their properties and trust Host Gaurantee Program. 

Repoeters and lawyers are interested in this incident because it directly tests $1 million dollar promise of Airbnb where the property is damaged as a result of Airbnb listing and there is a police report and video!! If Airbnb doesn’t pay in this case, there is no way it pays to anyone else in similar situations!!!  

HAPPY TO READ THEIR INVENTORY IS DECREASING!!!   WELL DESERVED.

DISSATISFIED/MISTREATED HOSTS:

NOW IS THE TIME TO DE-LIST YOUR PROPERTY.  

BEVG

.... and for short term rental in general @Mike1034 

@George470  @Ann489 Jeff Bezos and Tim Cook probably care about customer satisfaction and good business ratings and press. Brian Chesky apparently does not.

@Sarah977 It’s confusing. I heard great things about Brian Chesky and tried to involve him in the process before it is too late and the story is all over the media. But he didn’t answer. Let’s see if we hear from him or not. 

Talking with a few awesome lawyers who are looking at this case from different angles. You think Harvard graduates are good, right? 

@George470  Brian Chesky began by renting an air mattress on his floor- it was a brilliant concept and start-up. But I feel like that's sort of where it began and ended. The company grew quickly by leaps and bounds, and the daily running of it was given over to others. He is no longer involved nor seems to care, beyond lining his pockets and getting up on stage at Q&As to blather as if our complaints actually matter to him.Just because he had a good idea, doesn't mean he really had or has the business acumen to understand how to intelligently change and create policy to deal with a hugely and rapidly exploding business in a way that will ensure its ultimate success. Just because they're raking in the $ now, doesn't mean it will continue like that if they insist on ignoring the importance of customer satisfaction. Another similar platform, which is responsive to customer satisfaction issues, will inevitably arise.

The part I don't undrestand is that, Brian Chesky joined Warren Buffett and Bill Gates' 'The Giving Pledge', a select group of billionaires who have committed to give the majority of their wealth away. What is the thinking process behind breaking promise to create so much wealth at the expense of hosts who made you wealthy by their capital and then you give your wealth away as a good cause?! Keep your promise to hosts, Brian as a good cause!! 

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

@QuincyGeorge’s post was not asking for assistance from Airbnb at this late point in the game but good try. his post is a perfect usage of the host discussion forum and extremely helpful to other hosts. The company that your company contracts with, Airbnb, is a completely abusive to hosts who sign up, trusting that it would back up its advertised protections. 

@George470 Thank you! Thank you for writing this. Thank you for pursuing a lawyer and getting the word out. Don’t back down and don’t take a settlement. The one thing that I found out in my unfortunate experiences has been that they state that in the United States they are background checking guests where they can, and that is absolutely not the case at all. People with criminal records routinely book, and did in my case. It’s not just that they are negligent, it’s that they falsely advertise protections that are not provided, like the Host Guarantee. I don’t think I have enough in damages to join in on your lawsuit, but I’m very supportive and am rooting for you all the way. If I can help in any way please message me. 

Thanks @Jess78. Airbnb advertises that Property damage is covered up to a million dollar for every host and every listing and that’s why many hosts sign up to the platform. People have the right to know the truth on the real incident and how Airbnb lowballs the hosts. But this time is different ... 

Yesterday, there was a coverage on a similar case: 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/House-Fire-Prompts-1-Million-Dispute-With-Airbnb-511533442.html

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Yes, @George470  is already involved with airbnb, his issue is that he wants other  hosts to know that the 'host guarantee' is often a guarantee only of financial loss, lost time and frustration, airbnb very often doesn't have anyone's 'back'.

The bad faith will hunt them back. If hosts pull their house off Airbnb and go to other platform, Airbnb goes down like other companies in Silicon Valley. I have seen many of them!  

There are many platforms that I have tested and they are awesome!! HomeAway/VRBO, Booking, Expedia, Orbits, etc. and all of my calendars are synced. Actually I may switch completely. 

What you have had happen to your property is absolutely intolerable and inexcusable on the part of Airbnb.  

They have proven themselves to be UNTRUSTWORTHY, UNTRUTHFUL, WITHOUT MORAL COMPASS, DISHONEST BROKERS - 

TIME TO LEAVE BEFORE SOMETHING REALLY BAD HAPPENS TO YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY:

DE-LIST YOUR PROPERTY NOW!!!

bevg

Hanan9
Level 2
Pinole, CA

Airbnb sending “verified guest” to show no lives matter in comparison of Airbnb’s benefit!!!

There is a good portion of hosts who Airbnb part of their house, which means they could have got shot in this situation. One of those 47 bullet was enough to make a disaster of death or injury.

Im glad you were not There. Be careful as the house is not safe anymore. 

Thanks you. This has changed our view completely about hosting!!