Airbnb rejected to pay $220,000 in damage for a SHOOTING case under Host Guarantee Program

Airbnb rejected to pay $220,000 in damage for a SHOOTING case under Host Guarantee Program

In April, I rented one of my properties on Airbnb to 3 guests. Aparantly, the guests planned a party and invited 55 guests. At around 1 am, the party became violent and two groups started to shoot at each other from inside and outside the house. Our camera footage shows 42 bullets came out of the guns and hit the house!!! I got a call at 3 am from police telling me about the situation and I had to drive to the property because the door was totally shattered. Thankfully, no one was injured!! But it has been a NIGHTMARE with Airbnb back and forth about this claim. 

Long story short, Airbnb sent the case to another firm named Crawford (which is an adjuster company) to write an estimate of damage which is a clear conflict of interest and I flagged this in my first email. Basically, Airbnb pays a company to write a low estimate on the repair which is a fraud!!! I also hired a 5 star general contractor to meet with the adjuster and they agree on the estimate. Crawford asked my contractor to send his estimate which was a detailed estimate with some sub-contractors and came up to $220,000. After several weeks of receiving my contractor estimate and probably 50 phone calls, Crawford asked many questions and sent the final report to Airbnb! After 2.5 months, Airbnb came up with an offer which is ridicolously low and doesn't even cover the painting of the affected areas!! I have cc'ed the CEO of Airbnb on the email and told them about the fraud that is happening at Airbnb. 

If you are a new host, you should know that $1,000,000 "Host Guarantee Program" is a lie by Airbnb to just bring more hosts to sign up. Many homeowner insurances will deny your claim if they know the house is listed for Airbnb. Also, Airbnb will reject your claim when something catastrophic happens. Just know the amount of risks you are taking by listing your properties on Airbnb! 

What Airbnb didn't know is that they picked the wrong battle in this case!! I am finalizing my attorney choice and will hold them accountable! Just wanted to see who had similar experience as a host and if they suggest any other attorney to consider? Any host would like to join the class action lawsuit? So far, I have identified around 100 hosts who have had similar horrible experience with Airbnb Host Guarantee Program. Anyone in the media who would like to cover similar stories, many hosts would like to talk with you! The Airbnb IPO is coming. Good timing for publishing horror stories of hosts for potential investors ... 

IMG_4732.jpge5205572-3e42-4891-9429-d0559a29ebdd.jpgIMG_4889.jpgIMG_5165.jpgIMG_0448.jpg

88 Replies 88

It’s common! There is so much fraud going on in insurance company that your head spins! 

The insurance companies either hire

- an adjuster who is paid to write a low estimate to get more business 

- an in network contractor, who writes low estimate to satisfy the insurance company and get the job. These contractors will be either not hired which they get away with their low estimate and the owner should pay much more to repair the house or the contractor gets the job then two weeks into the work, they stop the work to write a supplement and get more money from insurance company. This happens several times so finally they get twice or three times more than what they initially requested. The owner work will be delayed a lot so in network contractors make money! 

I have the playbook of insurance companies. They can’t use the same tricks on me!!! 

Hi George, we are having similar issue with Airbnb, and I found this topic about your experience. Is there a way to contact you to find out how did you resolve it in the end? Thanks!

@Hari1139 unless you tag @George470 you have little chance of him seeing your question as he posted 3 years ago.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Forget the case managers, you need to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit. 

I guess so. The case is not resolved after 7 months of back and forth!! A reporter is on the case and several attorneys want to work on this case, enthusiastically!

Neria1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

*solicitation removed*

@George470 The house has been removed from the platform. I wonder if these hosts can rely on the host guarantee for damages. Ha!

hello. i want to join and be included in the update please. do you have email address?

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Air bnb is so wrong please take it to the media

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

So wrong Air BnB is just so greedy company just a another Gobbling greedy worldwide company. They don’t even take the bond from the guests credit card and if you try to claim for damages if the guests credit card declines they decline you claim and the guests leave you a bad review for revenge. Funny never see a bad review on a guest!! Because they just close their account and reopen a new one.

I would love to know the estimate cost of all damages and loss of income done directly by Air BnB guests. It would be millions and millions of property damage unpaid. **bleep** you Air BnB 

Same thing similar happened not as high amount around 20,000. Also took three months and was only payed out 9,000 which doesn’t cover the damages that I have to get s loan to cover the rest. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Common Sense Inc." would work to get rid of this stupid policy and hold all hosts responsible to protect their own property by taking out their own insurance. End of this unnecessary conflict.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The 'show' (aka story) came to town, gave everyone the impetus to speak at the podium; great speeches were made, promises proposed, politicians kissed the babies, passionate outrage was shared by the populace and of course the effigy of the 'evil one' was burned at the stake once more in a solemn exhibition  of conformity and solidarity.

And then Poof, just like that the tents folded and the show disappeared, as if taking off during the night. No one could no longer find the ringmaster, or worst of all what was the final act. Rest easy, a similar one will inevitably pop up for these types of 'shows' happen a few times a year, no wonder not everyone takes them seriously when they do for they do tend to follow the same pattern as this one.  

/Till next time...