Airbnb removed the ID proof option when booking.

Giuseppe5
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb removed the ID proof option when booking.

I just found out that guests don't have to convalidate their IDs in order to book my place and that option is now ONLY available for "instant book only".

I know Airbnb is trying hard to let every host to use instant book but i find removing this option very counterproductive as now the risk of not knowing who is coming in my flat is higher. I felt comfortable hosting people from every country and without feedbacks but now i don't really feel the same.

I'm erally upset and disappointed.

I will host fewer guests for sure.

Please explain why this change.

25 Replies 25
Amy222
Level 1
Urbana, IL

As a traveler, I don't mind giving a potential host my ID, but I don't like it being in possession of some company that's not even AirBNB. I understand that I AirBnB probably can't manage it as well as some third-party (or else why use this third party) but it seems safer to me to send a few potential hosts a Skype photo of me with my id than to have mine in a batch of thousands IDs that are tempting and easy to find for hackers.

I sympathize with hosts who want to see an ID before booking, but if people are willing to have an exchange beforehand, it could be safer the host (to see an ID) and for the traveler's private info. Hosts make money with these transactions, but risk is lower when information is distributed.

anyone out there know how to quit airmbnb about to sink me.

Paula346
Level 2
Skopje, Macedonia

Unfortunately, Not every thinks like you and I as well as other people like me have experienced discrimination on Airbnb based on the way we look.  I like the change.  Maybe if they made you submit the photo AFTER the booking was already confirmed it could maybe make everyone happy because if the place is approved and than afterwards, after seeing the picture they all of a sudden cancel then maybe that be cause to accuse for descrimination.  I've experienced it personally.  It didn't feel good.

Hello @Paula346,

Hosts do not get to see the government ID if a guest uploads it. Airbnb does not pass the photo to the host.

Airbnb does tell the host the guest's full name from the ID and whether the guest is over 25 or not.

The only photo hosts see is the guest's Airbnb profile photo.

One reason behind asking a guest to upload ID is that the host may gain some comfort from the fact that the guest was willing to provide it.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Sorry i thought we were talking about profile picture.  I have been discriminated against based on my profile picture so i can totally see some host doing it based on ID photos.

Lana7
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Sure Paula -  but I think you'll see that HOSTS NEVER SEE THE ID PHOTO .   that's not what this thread is about. 

There USED to be an option that you could set that required guests to be ID Verified before they could ask to book with you.

ID Verification means that they have submitted to airbnb a govermnent issued photo ID and have proved to airbnb that it's acutally them.  This means they are the person they say they are.    That I, as a host, don't see this - doesn't matter in the slightest.  But it is extra security for me to know that the person booking, is the person they say they are.

Airbnb removed this option for hosts who do not use Instant Book.  And they kind of did it without telling us.   So suddenly I was faced with having to ask people to ID verify myself, before I would accept their bookings. I have also put it in my introductory paragraph that prospective guests must http://airbnb.co.uk/verify before I will accept them.  

This in no way allows hosts to discriminate,  it only provides a extra level of security for the person, like me, who's inviting a stranger to share her home.

🙂

Lana

Lana, I have been discriminated against based on my profile. Please don't attempt to explain away something that happened to me and not to you.  I made the booking you didn't.  I said I THOUGHT that this is what Steve was talking about so no explanation needed.  

@Paula346    They have introduced:  "If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination" :  https://press.airbnb.com/update-on-profile-photos/     October 22 2018 

But if the host has IB turned on the guest is automatically accepted and then the host has to ask for a profile photo if none has been uploaded.  I like to see a photo so I  can recognize the guest, and to make sure it is not a 3rd party booking, which is not covered by Airbnb: any damages, problems, non-payment because of fraudulent cedit cards etc. the host has to swallow it all.

Ange, I'm just seeing this post.  I don't think anything is wrong with asking for a pic AFTER the booking has been approved.  I think that is only fair.

Jeanette118
Level 1
Granada, Spain

I absolutly agree with you. I am a superhost based in Spain, but am now in Malta trying to book a trip to Sicily.

For some reason my driving licence and photo do not match on their system. At least 6 hours have been spent on this now with more than 20 attemps.

Several phone calls to airbnb , it is still not resolved.

I am sure we will all loose clients

I have the same problem as @Giuseppe5.   As a host, I would like to have ID verification in the process, even with Instant Booking off. I want to be able to thoroughly screen, who comes into my house and ID verification was a big part of that. 

Removing this key step in order to promote/increase Instant Booking is a very bad decision and will lead to hosts all around the world, taking in less guests and will ultimately lead to a decrease of business for Airbnb..........not to mention adversely affecting the safety of the hosts (which I have a hunch, very few care about)