Airbnb removed the ID proof option when booking.

Giuseppe5
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb removed the ID proof option when booking.

I just found out that guests don't have to convalidate their IDs in order to book my place and that option is now ONLY available for "instant book only".

I know Airbnb is trying hard to let every host to use instant book but i find removing this option very counterproductive as now the risk of not knowing who is coming in my flat is higher. I felt comfortable hosting people from every country and without feedbacks but now i don't really feel the same.

I'm erally upset and disappointed.

I will host fewer guests for sure.

Please explain why this change.

25 Replies 25
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Giuseppe5

Maybe Airbnb has rolled out a change for the UK site, since when I go to 'Reviews', then 'Booking Requirements' (I don't use IB), nothing has changed for requested ID verification and part of this is still :

• "The full name on your government ID and whether you’re over or under 25 years old."

If this would for some reason at some point be removed, then I'd ask guest for full name(s), and I could easily check this upon arrival when I do ID check with registration of ID no as announced in my house rules. This is mandatory where I live, but even if it weren't, it would be extremely handy and safer. Hotels don't do without it, why would any host want to?

I live in New York USA and my last few guests told me they did not have to upload anything except their credit card info. Things are changing.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dee9, hi -

"I live in New York USA and my last few guests told me they did not have to upload anything except their credit card info."

So that would be for a basic non-verified account? the version without the checkmark on green beside profile pic?

Only "Instant book" guests are required to upload a govt ID

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dee9

I don't use IB and on the site it still says:

Under choosing 'Verified ID' 

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

Verified ID

Your guests will need to verify their ID before booking with you. Learn More

_______

When clicking the 'Learn More' link it takes me to

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-providing-identification-on-airbnb-work#when 

which states:

How does providing identification on Airbnb work?

Verifying some information about guests and hosts on Airbnb helps make our community a safer place for everyone. That’s why, in addition to requiring a profile photo, confirmed phone number, and confirmed email address, we might also ask you to provide an official ID and other related information.

How it works

• Take a photo of your government-issued ID (ex: passport, driver’s license, national ID, or visa).

I checked my last 10 guessts (I only take verified ID but not IB) who booked within the last half year and they all had to submit:

• Government ID

• Email address

• Phone number

So if all these guests with verified ID had to uplad a govt ID -

what am I completely misunderstanding here?

@Andrea9I agree with all of the above. And my listing is set to have guests verify their ID.

However I can only tell you that my last few guests said they did not need to do that. So now I literally ask them "have you uploaded an ID? And if not, I tell them ahead of time, if you dont upload your ID I cannot accept your booking.

Thats why I said I think things are changing. You are in the Netherlands so maybe does not affect you. Or maybe it was just gliches in the system, but odd that its happened more than once to a few guests in a row.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dee9

Strange that there are such differences... I am in the Netherlands, though as native English speaker I prefer the English-language site, though maybe even that one is different from the version in the US.... who knows!

There seem to be so many differences with a number of things on different sites, but even that's always changing that itj's difficult to know what's actually status quo...

Well, I have to do ID check on arrival anyway, so that for me counts as an automatic weed wacker too... and we also have more international travelers her than local or regional bookers that may try to skim the system and hosts to for ex. get a lodging because they were evicted or homeless or perverts... knock on wood! At least that's the impression I've gotten from what I've seen on CC and the local FB group.

@Andrea9

someone just posted this topic in the forum. Heres the copy & paste....

I just found out that guests don't have to convalidate their IDs in order to book my place and that option is now ONLY available for "instant book only".

I know Airbnb is trying hard to let every host to use instant book but i find removing this option very counterproductive as now the risk of not knowing who is coming in my flat is higher. I felt comfortable hosting people from every country and without feedbacks but now i don't really feel the same.

I'm erally upset and disappointed.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dee9 thanks, and if I'm not mistaken I 'm pretty sure having seen and responded to that thread this morning, or at least a similar one.

It surprised me because I saw different on my Airbnb.com site. But you and I already went through all that. So looks like they are again slowly rolling out bit by bit this new thing. Again putting the burden of proof on us hosts. Sigh. "Dear potential guest, thanks for your request and you are in principle more than welcome to stay. First please supply proof you are who you claim to be and that you are not an a**hole..."

😞

Just instant booked a room without being asked about providing an ID to book.  Then tried to book another host's room, also using instant book, could not book as I was being prompted to provide an ID to book.  Did not have this issue on a previous lenghthy trip in which I would book rooms days before traveling to that city -I kept finding good transportation deals. Hopefully a filter for hosts who believe the id verification before booking is not needed will be forthcoming.  Looks like airbnb sold some hosts on the id verification scheme even though airbnb states it is not 100% accurate.  If hosts are not 'paying' extra or anything for that feature you can bet that the mere implementation of this is tied to a revenue stream outside of the hosts/guests transactions.

No, I am not an Instant Book and I am required to. As a teacher of Cybersecurity I absolutely REFUSE to upload my LICENSE to float around the internet, I don't care how safe you tell me it is I am not doing it. I will look else where to book a place. The risk is just too high for you to have "comfort" of know who your guests are. Find a different way. 

@Andrea9 @Dee9 @Giuseppe5 It's gone for me too - obviously a new roll out/a push to try to get more hosts to use Instant Book. I've had to put on our listing that Government ID is required or the request will be declined. Sigh! Karen

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 12.12.45 PM.jpg

I just saw that today,  I had a request for a booking (instant book is NOT turned on) and I saw that there was no ID verification 😞 

I've ALWAYS had this option ticked as a requirement - I need to know people are who they say they are.

As a single woman living alone with my guests in a tiny apartment, this makes me uncomfortable.  I'm going to have to ASK them to ID verify first - and I'll probably end up losing the booking 😞

this suck... thanks for nothing AirBnB

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I signed up on ABB about two weeks ago and even then, Government ID was only available if I checked off Instant Booking.

Also, I never had the age disclosed to me (over 26 years of age) as other posts on this thread suggest is available.

I love Instant Booking but I can understand others not being crazy about it.

It seems counter-intuitive to me that ABB would think that not signing up for one of their options doesn't entitle a host to the same protections as others.