Airbnb's Chickens Coming Home To Roost

Airbnb's Chickens Coming Home To Roost

Extremely troubling developments for Airbnb in the light of the impending IPO. For several years now, the company has actively and deliberately sought to keep hidden the true scale of the takeover of the platform by professional property managers and commercial entities, preferring instead to sell itself on its increasingly mythical 'live like a local' image. However, with full disclosure being a key and critical element of US Securities Laws, it appears that it may now finally be compelled to lay bare the real data. 

The truth always comes out in the end. 

"Dozens of affordable housing groups and community organizations that have long accused Airbnb of exacerbating housing shortages are taking their grievances to U.S. financial regulators just as the short-term rental giant prepares to go public.

In a letter to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission viewed by The Information, the groups complain that Airbnb hasn’t complied with rules limiting short-term rentals in many cities. They contend that Airbnb should be required to disclose more information to investors about how many rentals on its site are run by professional property managers"

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/airbnb-opponents-take-fight-to-sec-ahead-of-ipo

Penelope
90 Replies 90

@Ann489  

Yes, letter soup = Buchstabensuppe. Die gibt es hier in Deutschland immer noch zu kaufen. Das ist eine Tütensuppe die man einfach in kochendes Wasser schüttet. Die Nudeln haben die Form von Buchstaben. Wenn die Suppe fertig ist, schwimmen an der Oberfläche die Buchstaben sinnlos herum. Very similar to some of the posts on here.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

LOL @Ute42 ! - 'Alphabet soup' auf Englisch!  🙂 

@Sharon1014 @Ute42 @Ann489 @Helen350

Well they do say everyone has their doppelganger out there somewhere in the world! Perhaps one day I'll bump into this Irish one that everyone keeps telling me about - seems like we might be kindred spirits. From what I'm hearing though, she does sound like a bit of a crazy chick - maybe I should give her a swerve! 😏

@Ute42 

I do hope that my posts fit into the 5% you find either interesting or entertaining!

@Ann489 @Helen350

Letter soup/alphabet soup - is that what one might have along with word salad? 😏

Penelope
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Super47 😉😉😉 😜😜😜 🤐🤐🤐 

@Super47   

You wrote to me:

• I do hope that my posts fit into the 5% you find either interesting or entertaining!

Well, Your remark on the letter soup / word salat menue was indeed funny and entertaining. But You are new to the forum and I don't know You. The question is: Was this remark a one time outlier joke or can You provide a sustainable entertainement concept.

I think this remains to be seen and I will make a judgement on this as time moves on.

cc: @Helen350 @Ann489 @Sharon1014  

"The question is: Was this remark a one time outlier joke or can You provide a sustainable entertainement concept"

Oh, I'm pretty confident I have another joke or two in me yet, @Ute42! I'll certainly try my utmost to inject a little more sunshine into your life on occasion 🌞🌞🌞

Penelope

@Super47   No, @Susan17 isn't crazy - she's as passionate about the same issues as you are.  Men like to call passionate women "crazy."  They use the same word for women who have strong opinions, who speak their minds, and who are angry at injustice - all qualities Susan and you both have.  You really do sound like Susan and that's something to be proud of.

@Ann72 Every man I know speak highly of 'crazy' women, though perhaps not for the reasons you were thinking. 🙂

@Fred13  Good point and touché 😂😂😂

@Ute42    Lang, lang ist's her!   😂    Knorr hat die damals gemacht, glaub' Ich!      Good comparison to this forum.....you just learn to pick and choose and take some posts with a grain of salt.   😉

PS:  I do miss Susan and her insights.  

@Ute42 

its easy for you to say that "Buchstabensuppe"...

@Ute42  Hear hear!  That's my take exactly.

@Sharon1014  More like a "conjoined" twin sister. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Super47 

Airbnb in European mayors' sights

Europe’s mayors have long expressed concerns about Airbnb’s impact on local property markets and some are hopeful that the EU’s upcoming Digital Services Act will offer some of what they’ve wanted. As well as an ongoing concern about the impact of Airbnb on the supply of housing, mayors are also keen to access data they say is needed to correctly tax properties and enforce local regulation. Airbnb said it “welcomed” progress towards the act, and said in its response to consultation on the act that it supported data transparency.

Author Siobhan Morrin, Editor at LinkedIn news written 17 hours ago

"Supported data transparency", my comment LOL, ask Susan an Irish lady that was removed from this forum for identifying Airbnb shortcomings.

@Cormac0

If there's one thing Airbnb has never supported, it's data transparency - from their skewed, strategically-targeted 'surveys', to their ubiquitous miraculous rebound story ("Yaaay! 1 million nights booked on July 8th!" Eh, maybe.. but how many cancellations on the same date, to give us the real picture?), to the hundreds of millions they've spent on legal battles over the last decade, fighting to win the rights not to be compelled to hand over data to authorities, to the ridiculous hoops they make police forces around the world jump through in order to obtain information on rogue and criminal guests, often even in urgent and time-sensitive cases.

And considering the proposed provisions of the Digital Act, they'll be "welcoming" this development like a hole in the head. You've got to love how, in their public consultations response, they lay out the conditions under which they'd be willing to "support" the Act - as if they'll actually have a choice in the matter! - and also how they're already trying to invoke the EUs own laws (privacy/GDPR) as potential future get-out clauses for themselves. Something tells me Margarethe Vestager and crew are not going to be buying any of that 😏

Here's a classic real-life, fly-on-the-wall demonstration of Airbnb's 'data transparency' in action for you, @Cormac0 - a behind-the-scenes video of when Patrick Robinson, Airbnb Director of Public Policy and his then-assistant Natasha Mytton-Mills were called upon by the Irish government to present the company's case to an all-party committee that was set up to investigate the potential impact of short-term rentals on Ireland's housing and rental markets. An absolute masterclass in how to swerve tricky questions and not give a straight answer to anything you're asked. Ducking and diving at its finest. It's little wonder that Irish hosts were subsequently hit with such restrictive regulations when you see the slippery, evasive goings-on here. (From around 1 hr, 11 mins in)

Oireachtas committees – Houses of the Oireachtas
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/925/

Penelope