Airbnb’s Growing Disregard for Hosts Who Share their Home

Jessica73
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb’s Growing Disregard for Hosts Who Share their Home

I've been an Airbnb host since 2012 and a Superhost ever since the Superhost program started, mostly as a home sharer who rents out the guest room in my L.A. house. It pains me to say that Airbnb is devolving now that its corporate status has raised - showing more and more disregard for hosts who share their home, and favoring instead real estate investors who lists houses/apartments they don’t live in, and rent out like hotels (because of course, the latter is what brings Airbnb the most $$$.) This is obvious from the way Airbnb’s algorithm works: 1) It greatly reduces the visibility of listings from hosts who refuse to do “Instant Book”. And agreeing to instant book is easy for someone who is renting a space they don't live in, but much more problematic for hosts sharing their own house with their guests. 2) Homes with pets (almost always home shares) are automatically disqualified from Airbnb Business and Airbnb Plus. 3) Hosts who deny requests get punished for doing so by having their listing’s visibility reduced, and pushed down the list. 

It is unfortunate (and infuriating), because true home sharers are the type of hosts that Airbnb prides itself for in all its PR campaigns, and whenever it comes to fighting in favor of short term rental legislation: the retired couple opening their homes to friendly strangers from around the world, the person who lost their job and for whom Airbnb becomes a way to help pay the house mortgage etc… And, on the other end of the spectrum, their biggest PR nightmares often come from hosts who list homes they never live in - often the type of hosts who have less reasons to be selective with their guests, or considerate when it comes to their “neighbors”, or the community the home is in. 

Airbnb needs to decide: is it a vacation rental platform for passive real estate investors, or the home sharing platform it advertises itself to be? Because, for hosts who are opening their own homes to strangers, using Airbnb only feels safe if they are allowed to deny some reservations and not be “punished” for doing so. They could be denying reservation to prevent sharing their homes with guests who they feel might be inconsiderate to their neighbors and their community, guests who they feel wouldn’t like the space, or even guests they just wouldn’t get along with. In my case, I get a lot of requests for month-long rentals, so most of my denying requests simply come from the fact I need a bit more than 24 hours and a single communication to decide to rent to someone who will be my housemate for a month. As a reminder: not accepting or denying a request within 24 hours makes you lose your Superhost status, and denying a request greatly reduces the visibility of your listing, and eventually disqualifies it from Aibnb Plus.

For me, the solution is simple: eliminate the automatic selection of “instant book only” (guests should be able to select that option if they want, but it should never be automatically selected, which is often is - without the knowledge of guests or hosts), and stop "hiding" listings of people who have denied some reservations (as long as the host responds to requests quickly.) I’ve tried to talk to Airbnb multiple times about this but, unlike a few years when Airbnb actually listened to their hosts, I did not get a response. A few years ago, I even spoke in favor of short-term rental – at local community events and even L.A. city hall. I will not speak in favor of Airbnb again until it starts showing appreciation for the hosts that are actually saving their reputation, and until it modifies their algorithm so that it doesn’t favor greedy real estate invertors over true home sharers. I encourage all other home sharers (or anyone who agrees) to do the same.

Thanks for reading my long rant...

51 Replies 51
Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Sarah977,

Yes, we are doing their job!

When you go to the help page. It actually suggests you to go to the community!

So we try to solve their problems (on basis of what we know about it).

History repeats itself: A couple of decades ago we all had this 'clever' nephew, niece, neighbour or friend that would helps us out with our computer!

a

Thanks @Sarah977@Cor3@Sharon404 . I have reposted this on "Host Voice". Please like and comment there - hopefully, we can get Airbnb to hear us out on this:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Airbnb-s-Growing-Disregard-for-Hosts-Who-Share-their-...

Jessica73
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for the recommendation! I've been a host for a while, but I haven't posted on the community discussion rooms before, so I was not familiar with "Host Voices." I'll post on there tomorrow 🙂

Kathy286
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I totally agree - I'm only a new user (& loving it) - but would love to be able to search places with a bit more choices ie separate living area, or if a shared house with many other guests or not, or apartment - all have pros and cons, but prefer to be able to single out these options rather than scrolling through heaps of listings - I hate seeing listing from local hotels, motels, pubs etc - I'm looking for a BnB property

@Kathy286  Please, please send your comment to airbnb using their "Feedback" form. They don't respond personally to those, but they supposedly do look at them and tally them, so it would help. Airbnb seem to think this is what guests want- all these new types of listings, but small hosts such as those you prefer, get pushed farther and farther down the search rankings. Airbnb is much more receptive to guest complaints and suggestions than those of hosts. They should have an easy to find feature that a guest can just click on to find more traditional, sharing types of listings, without having to turn on and off a slew of filters or scroll down endlessly.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Jessica73 @Sarah977 @Kathy286 @Pete28 @Amy38 Jessica, your post mirrors similar sentiments as the post I wrote a few weeks ago - Before Plus was even announced. The title was, 'Are Traditional Hosts Still Valued By Airbnb?' Some of you may have seen it, but if not, and you would like to read it, the link is here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Are-Traditional-Hosts-Still-Valued-By-Airbnb/m-p/608344#...

Thanks @Rebecca181. I had not read your post, but I have now, and completely agree. I have reposted my post on "Host Voice", as I was advised to do so here. Please like and comment there - hopefully, we can get Airbnb to hear us out:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Airbnb-s-Growing-Disregard-for-Hosts-Who-Share-their-...

Sharon404
Level 5
Mantorville, MN

I so agree! Another sign that hosts are not valued is the sloppy way people are allowed to put up profiles. I continue to get requests from profiles that have an email and facebook only verification when I request that the government ID be verified. It helps me feel a bit safer since I am also in the home when they are here.  The other day I got a request from someone whose profile is only his B&B, no name, no personal info.  I really think they should tighten up on this for our safety.  I, also, in the winter because of my job, ask for 24 hour notice for bookings. I will often get requests for bookings within and hour or two. I routinely turn them down and my superhost status is gone.  I sure wish hosts were still valued. I did this mostly because I felt somewhat protected. No longer. 

Hi @Sharon0, just as an aside there should be a setting that will disallow guests from trying to book same day, so you don't get these and turn down which then impacts you negatively.

Jessica73
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Since I was encouraged to post on "host voices", I created a new post with the same information here:

Please like and comment that post as well, so I can hopefully get Airbnb's ear on this real issue. 

Periena0
Level 2
Dunedin, New Zealand

I agree with you Jessica & Airb&b have moved well past what it used to be.... a friendly home for strangers (hopefully new friends) to come & stay & enjoy your/our hospitality, knowledge & companionship. But now ABBPlus is trying to make us like a hotel.. but why? We are a family home enviornment & people come to us because they want to have a personal one on one with the locals & not the grandeur that ABBPlus wants to push onto us now+ expenses). Again why?  If my house has a bit more in the way of furniture etc. Why should I declutter because ABBPlus said I should, will I be charging more for people to stay, no, a fair & value for money accommodation is what I would be offering. If they want to stay in a hotel & have that luxury, good go stay there.  You won't get the ambience that you will get if you stay locally with locals.  I do not believe that we should be blacklisted or loose our superhost because we cancelled or turned down would be clients, this is ridiculous as there is always a good reason why this was done. AirBnB must know that they work for us and not the other way around, without us there would be no AirBnB.  They need us to make money for them, is this not true? I hope I haven't digressed too much away from the original topic? I have a newspaper article from Jan 19. 2018 heading "Experience with Airbnb less than positive" If I can post I will & you can then see how Airbnb provided little to no assitance.

Periena0
Level 2
Dunedin, New Zealand

1. I agree with you Jessica & Airb&b have moved well past what it used to be.... a friendly home for strangers (hopefully new friends) to come & stay & enjoy your/our hospitality, knowledge & companionship. But now ABBPlus is trying to make us like a hotel.. but why? We are a family home enviornment & people come to us because they want to have a personal one on one with the locals & not the grandeur that ABBPlus wants to push onto us now+ expenses). Again why?  If my house has a bit more in the way of furniture etc. Why should I declutter because ABBPlus said I should, will I be charging more for people to stay, no, a fair & value for money accommodation is what I would be offering. If they want to stay in a hotel & have that luxury, good go stay there.  You won't get the ambience that you will get if you stay locally with locals.  I do not believe that we should be blacklisted or loose our superhost because we cancelled or turned down would be clients, this is ridiculous as there is always a good reason why this was done. AirBnB must know that they work for us and not the other way around, without us there would be no AirBnB.  They need us to make money for them, is this not true? I hope I haven't digressed too much away from the original topic? I have a newspaper article from Jan 19. 2018 heading "Experience with Airbnb less than positive" If I can post I will & you can then see how Airbnb provided little to no assitance.
Periena0
Level 2
Dunedin, New Zealand

Queenstown, New Zealand 2018Queenstown, New Zealand 2018

This is an article I think will interest a lot of people.

Judi37
Level 1
Honolulu, HI

Well said!! I agree totally! I live in Hawaii and have been hosting for 3 years. I know now that my neighbors and people in the community now keep their homes for only Air Bnb rentals for more income than they were getting and rent in a very private neighborhood without caring whom it is. It’s true about the instant book future. I was pushed down on the sight because I like to know who is share my home to as I also live here!! I’m going to

pass this on! Many thanks!!