Airbnb’s Growing Disregard for Hosts Who Share their Home

Jessica73
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb’s Growing Disregard for Hosts Who Share their Home

I've been an Airbnb host since 2012 and a Superhost ever since the Superhost program started, mostly as a home sharer who rents out the guest room in my L.A. house. It pains me to say that Airbnb is devolving now that its corporate status has raised - showing more and more disregard for hosts who share their home, and favoring instead real estate investors who lists houses/apartments they don’t live in, and rent out like hotels (because of course, the latter is what brings Airbnb the most $$$.) This is obvious from the way Airbnb’s algorithm works: 1) It greatly reduces the visibility of listings from hosts who refuse to do “Instant Book”. And agreeing to instant book is easy for someone who is renting a space they don't live in, but much more problematic for hosts sharing their own house with their guests. 2) Homes with pets (almost always home shares) are automatically disqualified from Airbnb Business and Airbnb Plus. 3) Hosts who deny requests get punished for doing so by having their listing’s visibility reduced, and pushed down the list. 

It is unfortunate (and infuriating), because true home sharers are the type of hosts that Airbnb prides itself for in all its PR campaigns, and whenever it comes to fighting in favor of short term rental legislation: the retired couple opening their homes to friendly strangers from around the world, the person who lost their job and for whom Airbnb becomes a way to help pay the house mortgage etc… And, on the other end of the spectrum, their biggest PR nightmares often come from hosts who list homes they never live in - often the type of hosts who have less reasons to be selective with their guests, or considerate when it comes to their “neighbors”, or the community the home is in. 

Airbnb needs to decide: is it a vacation rental platform for passive real estate investors, or the home sharing platform it advertises itself to be? Because, for hosts who are opening their own homes to strangers, using Airbnb only feels safe if they are allowed to deny some reservations and not be “punished” for doing so. They could be denying reservation to prevent sharing their homes with guests who they feel might be inconsiderate to their neighbors and their community, guests who they feel wouldn’t like the space, or even guests they just wouldn’t get along with. In my case, I get a lot of requests for month-long rentals, so most of my denying requests simply come from the fact I need a bit more than 24 hours and a single communication to decide to rent to someone who will be my housemate for a month. As a reminder: not accepting or denying a request within 24 hours makes you lose your Superhost status, and denying a request greatly reduces the visibility of your listing, and eventually disqualifies it from Aibnb Plus.

For me, the solution is simple: eliminate the automatic selection of “instant book only” (guests should be able to select that option if they want, but it should never be automatically selected, which is often is - without the knowledge of guests or hosts), and stop "hiding" listings of people who have denied some reservations (as long as the host responds to requests quickly.) I’ve tried to talk to Airbnb multiple times about this but, unlike a few years when Airbnb actually listened to their hosts, I did not get a response. A few years ago, I even spoke in favor of short-term rental – at local community events and even L.A. city hall. I will not speak in favor of Airbnb again until it starts showing appreciation for the hosts that are actually saving their reputation, and until it modifies their algorithm so that it doesn’t favor greedy real estate invertors over true home sharers. I encourage all other home sharers (or anyone who agrees) to do the same.

Thanks for reading my long rant...

51 Replies 51
Gary212
Level 2
Livermore, ME

Newbie here,  

This year is my second, still learning. I so enjoyed reading your story, many thanks for the heads up.

GP

Adam321
Level 2
Florida, United States

Unfortunately, this battle is already lost. Of course the business model is evolving to become a market for vacation rentals. I would not be surprised if we were to soon see bidding and hotels introduced, along with the option to pay a premium for higher search result ranking. The p2p concept is beautiful and does much good, but it does not generate the profits required by the overclass who control the financials. I'm sorry to say that the days of the personal host are numbered, and Airbnb knows it and will continue to encourage its end, while pretending to care about the "little people" for whom Airbnb was started.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Such as: I've got a $ 500 to spend. I will be arriving with my 2 kids and wife. And I want this and that + Flight, etc. Who will give me the best deal?

I'm unfortunately convinced that will be the future 😞

@Adam321 Yes, you are right: Airbnb knows it makes more profit with vacation rentals than with true hosting, and all their new "features" indicate they are disregarding personal hosts in favor of investors who rent out spaces they don't live in (basically, they are "evolving" to become VRBO.) But in big cities like Los Angeles, where I live, Airbnb is still trying to showcase these home-sharing, personal hosts as examples of why Airbnb is helping the community. These personal hosts are one of the main reasons Airbnb's whole operation has not been completely shut down in big cities where housing is sometimes scarce. And that what angers me the most: that Airbnb's business model is now evolving to dismiss personal hosts, while their PR campaigns still showcases these same hosts as the reason why short-term rental should be legal.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Adam321,

That's exactly what I've thought of today!

Rhonda34
Level 4
Western Australia, Australia

Bravo! I live across the road from people who own three rentals they do not live in one of them. They are a nightmare and the party hard , and stuff the neighbors is the motto. Yes all Airbnb rentals. I have written to Airbnb but care factor is zero . It's all about the money the intentions were great to start with but that's long gone. This area is a holiday spot and now all the big hotels and resorts use Airbnb. I am constantly ask to lower my price. I am sure they do not expect big hotel chains to lower their price to below a profit margin. We are not a charity as much as we enjoy hosting it's not for the Airbnb fat cats to now become and empire. The money has contaminated what it stood for in the first place. Personally I do not think it should have gone out of just sharing your home. They could have made an Airbnb commercial property one and one a share your home one. 

Is it actually  making people  homeless in some areas where locals cannot afford a place because landlords go to Airbnb.  

The intent is now well and truly corrupted. 

The old rent an air bed has gone to a ravenous beast  consuming its self. 

Alex460
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

There will be space in the market for proper peer-to-peer rental, but it won't come from Airbnb, who've ruined what was a really good thing.   This Instant Booking thing is the last straw.  No one reads my rules (only allowed for instant bookings within the next five days), and Airbnb only gives guests the options to instant book. 

They want us to be hotels.   I'm almost done with them. Anyone used VRBO?

I am registered on Homeaway which has 8 affiliate sites, of which VRBO is one of them. I just registered with Airbnb last week to broaden my exposure. Cant say I like what I am reading from Airbnb hosts. This is very disappointing. While Homeaway has instant booking too, I dont believe it penalizes hosts who dont have instant booking.  I like to review my potential guests and frequently see my rooms advertised on facebook and elsewhere. Hope my response helps. I recommend the Homeaway platform. Trip advisor has vacation rentals too through Flipkey. 

@Barbara866   The problem with Homeaway is that you can only list entire homes or apartments. They don't accept room rentals in a shared home.

Andrea1063
Level 10
Collingwood, Canada

More and more communities are putting restrictions on who can rent and how they can rent.  Businesses are complaining and so are neighbours and condo owners.

In my town, you can not treat a property like a hotel.  That means that you must live in the house.  Have enough parking spaces for the number of rooms you are renting.  IF you own a property and do not live in it, you can not rent rooms by the day, you can only rend by the month or annually.  

So, Aibnb might think this is a great idea but they have to deal with townships and their bureaucrats, by-laws and the like.  Neighbours turning in neighbours etc. 

Condo's have waivers that strictly forbit nightly rentals.  You can not be renting an apartment or a house and rent out rooms for any reason.  

So, they may want to be going this route but there are plenty of people who have the power that are pushing back hard.  

Kathleen252
Level 1
Boston, MA

Hi Jessica

I too was stunned at these changes within the AirBNB policies.  Instabook is not something we do because we live in Boston and are in our small vacation rental in Hawaii for the winter.  We have personal belongings in there because it is our home and we do not want to have 2 sets of everything just because people come to rent in our home.  We want them to enjoy our home down to the knives and forks:) We like to ask a bit more about our potential guests and feel like we can then trust them enough and that they are genuine enough to take care of our home when they stay.  I have to admit that I really like the reviews that are visible about potential guests but I suppose thats as far as it goes. 

To be 'punished' because you cancel is outrageous!  That must have been agreed upon by a Board who dont enjoy their minimal extra income and dont worry about their home being destroyed because they would NEVER dream of renting it anyway. 

To date we have been very lucky with wonderful guests. I am truly grateful that websites like AirBNB do exist because we were basically getting 'ripped off' by an outside agency we had who was renting out our unit on our behalf.  Its great to be able to have control but it seems that is quickly slipping away....

Thank you to everyone for caring... Here's hoping AirBNB will change back to the way it was so we can all sleep in peace - and so can our guests!

Kathy and Peter.

Marilyn30
Level 3
Petaluma, CA

I agree 100%. I would never do instant booking because I might be out of the house, the room might not be ready etc. I do my own cleaning. I want to be in control of my own life!! What a concept! It’s also annoying that Airbnb is always encouraging me to do “smart pricing”...ie lower my price. It might benefit THEM for me to cut my price but it’s up to me to decide what my space and effort is worth. 

Ivs been hosting for about three years and have been a super host the entire time. I recently cancelled a reservation because I realized that I might not be home. I cancelled within a couple of days of the guest making the reservation and it was 3 1/2 months in advance, allowing the guest ample time to get another place. Had I left it till the last minute, I would’ve either found out that I wouldn’t need to cancel OR I would have cancelled and caused a problem for the guest. My consideration of the guest cost me my super host status. I wasn’t aware of this rule. The Airbnb policy would’ve encouraged me to wait and risk hurting the guest. Now I can’t be a Superhost for a year!!

i also have a cat...and my space doesn’t include a kitchen. I have a microwave, mini fridge etc,which suits many people. I have futons, toys, etc but am not considered family friendly even though I really am. 

Airbnb has a narrow view of what “should” be offered. They aren’t host-friendly and I think you hit the nail on the head. They want the kind of spaces that actually give Airbnb a bad name - the absentee host kind. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Jessica73 I agree with you concerning the real estate agents who are operating on Airbnb.Allowing them on the network is unfair to genuine hosts who are sharing their own homes.

But I don't know if you are aware that when you use the IB option you can actually refuse 3 IB per year  without being penalized. IB is very helpful even for the genuine home owners, i personally prefer when a guest book instantly without asking thousands of questions.

You mentioned that you sometimes want more time to decide if to allow guests who wants to stay for a long period at your place.Well this is very easy to solve why don't you simply reduce the number of nights and put a certain limit that make you comfortable to rent your home. 

Good luck and happy hosting!!!

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I am aware that I could refuse 3 instant books a year, but it just doesn't feel right to have strangers in the home I live in (with a dog) without very basic vetting. And it is not just for my sake (and safety) as a host: I want to check their expectations, and make sure that my place is the right fit for them. If I feel like a possible guest would get irritated at my silly dog's occasional misbehaviors, for example, I know it is probably not the right fit for them. And as for the time limit, I actually like having people for extended stays! In my guest room, my preference is having a guest who will stay for a month: it is enough time to be comfortable with someone, while still staying in the "honeymoon phase" of the housemate relationship 😉 Luckily, month long stays are my most common request in my LA house - and it is my preference - but I just need a bit more than 24 hours to make sure that it is the right fit for both myself and the guest.

@Jessica73 I totally understand your point of view. By the way i just found out that Hosts who use Instant Book have unlimited penalty-free cancellations if a guest breaks a house rule, if they intend to break a house rule, or if the host is uncomfortable with a reservation. These types of cancellations are 100% penalty-free, which means no fees, no automated review, no permanently blocked dates, and no impact on Superhost eligibility. I wish you happy hosting and it is always a pleasure for me to share ideas with other hosts on the community.