Airbnb's Lack of Support for Hosts

Andre333
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb's Lack of Support for Hosts

Good day fellow hosts!

I was informed today that airbnb will from now on only show profile pictures after a booking is confirmed.

This prompted me to leave feedback in their help center, I'll paste it in below.

I feel that airbnb has drifted enough from the original idea to make it uncomfortable for me to further share my home with guests referred by airbnb.

I think it's time to start a new service that will live up to the idea of a real sharing economy and not get blinded by vast sums of money.

I am certainly not willing anymore to support airbnb's endeavor!

Good luck to all you hosts, and hopefully I'll see you all soon on a new platform!

Good day! I've been a host, mostly a superhost, on airbnb for 5 years now. In the beginning hosting was a lot of fun and I met great people, some of which became my friends. Lately though, inquiries have dwindled to a trickle and I've had an increasing share of problematic guests. And now you also hide profile pictures! It's already quite a gamble, inviting strangers into my home, and profile pictures have given me "more than a thousand words" in deciding who I invite to stay at my home.  It also seems that airbnb tends to favor guests' accounts of events in case of disputes and problems. I understand, they are the ones that bring the money, whereas we hosts, while sticking out our necks, are merely enabling airbnb to make the vast sums of money they collect from guests. I think it's time to say goodbye to airbnb! I've had my share of fun, thank you for that! But I just don't feel much support anymore for what I do, from what has seemingly become another mindless, heartless corporate money machine. It was a great idea to give people a chance to make some extra income from renting otherwise empty rooms to travelers on a tight budget but it unfortunately evolved into just another starbucks, walmart, home depot kind of operation. So much for the sharing economy! I guess it's only a cloak to be worn on the way to selling out. I certainly don't want to have a part in it. I won't wish you good luck since I don't want such companies to exist in the first place, but I do wish the individual who will hopefully read this all the best and a lovely day!

6 Replies 6
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Andre333

Hello, what is the new platform you will be using?

I wish you the best.

I'm not sure, I've tried TripAdvisor and HomeAway already.

I think the perfect platform needs to be created first!

For now, I'll just get regular renters.

This way I'll get about the same amount without having to do laundry constantly...

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

@Andre333 Looking at your reviews, I think it is such a shame that Airbnb is losing such a great host as yourself. You have obviously provided a great hosting experience to numerous guests over the past 5 years, and been witness to many changes in the system during that time. 

I hope Airbnb don't continue to lose their valuable and experienced hosts because of these changes. 

Best of luck with your new endeavours!

Thank you Michelle and Michael!

I also thought that with my reviews I should get a bit different treatment from airbnb than what I've experienced lately.

I think they also intentionally lowered my ranking in search results because I have spoken up.

When I logged in from a different account, my rooms didn't even show up in search results...

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Although I sympathise with you and hear what you say, I cant imagine Airbnb will give a flying f@@k because they know someone somewhere will replace you.

Thank you Sudsrung!

I know they won't give a **bleep**, they already don't...

I boycott many companies for different reasons: amazon, whole foods, home depot, starbucks etc.

I prefer small family owned businesses and at first, airbnb seemed to enable small people to make extra income but I don't think they care at all about the people, only about their profits, so they'll be added to my s#itlist!

It's just a tiny drop out of a huge river but at least I'll sleep better knowing that I'm not taking part in creating a walmart planet...