Airbnb's website is one of the worst I've encountered

Andrew76
Level 7
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb's website is one of the worst I've encountered

Has anyone else had a frustrating experience trying to navigate this website? It has to be one of the most counter-intuitive things I've encountered. You can't get easily from A to B, especially in managing the calendar. I mean, airbnb isn't a poor company. You'd think they'd put a few dollars into making the site easier to navigate, rather than making it just look pretty. It's getting so I hate coming on here.

99 Replies 99
Henry92
Level 2
Hamilton, New Zealand

Some views just don't even load. Gross transactions hangs... stats > views = blank page. Do they even test their website? Terrible information architecture. Seems like they organised their menu structure using a random number generator.

John1181
Level 2
Elgin, IL

I think that they stayed up nights trying to come up with the worst website possible.  The old one was leaps and bounds better than this one.   I sure hope that you are listening airbnb.  ONE MORE GIANT COMPLAINT.......PLEASE SHOW A MORE EXACT LOCATION OF THE PROPERTY,  SURELY YOU CAN GET CLOSER WITHOUT GIVING AWAY THE EXACT ADDRES.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello  @John1181,

Great to meet you.

Thanks for sharing your feedback here regarding the site. I am sorry to hear your frustations with it,  I would be keen to hear more about what you would like to see changed and the reasons. Plus, anyone else who would be willing to share more detailed thoughts on this. This way I can pass it back to the team. 

Also, in regards to your point around location, another host here in the CC has recently shared some similar to what you mention. It would be great if you could take a look at his post and share your thoughts there. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks for asking, glad you are interested.  

1. SITE IS VERY UN WELCOMING.

2 Very confusing when it greets you with the word "Try" (Athens) etc

3. For me, Really confusing,  Whatever happened to simple....ask up front

(Like before)  

WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO? 

WHEN WIL YOU BE THREE? 

HOW MANNY PERSONS?

FILTERS? 

4.  THE LIST SHOULD HAVE A MAP ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE SHOWING LOCATION (I think that is the way it use to be??)

5.  THE LOCATION CIRCLE SHOULD BE SMALLER!!!  Surly you could be more accurate and still not give away the exact address.   THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A PROBLEM!!

I surely appreciate the opportunity to express my views because I LOVE AIR BNB!! (But please do something about your website.) 😁😁

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much @John1181 for sharing some more detail, it is really insightful to hear. 

In terms of the filters you mention, the majority appear when you click on say 'Homes' or 'Experiences' Therefore, would you prefer these to be on the Homepage? 

Also, in regards to point 5. I wonder, did you perhaps look at the link I included in my post above, I wonder if this is something similar to what you would like to see? 

It is really nice to see you love Airbnb and feel so passionate about, so thank you again for sharing more about this. It is all really useful feedback. 

I look forward to speaking with you more.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I really don't believe you're bona fide, Lizzie.  The MOST OBVIOUS thing when looking for a place to stay is LOCATION, but your site makes the location of every rental offer obscure. When a search is done, the results page should tell you immediately in what town the offering is and, if not in the town you asked for, it should also tell how far away it is.  This is so obvious that I simply cannot believe that your company FORGOT; instead, I imagine that you somehow thought that that users would be fooled into thinking the results were more pertinent than they really were.  

This isn't a very mobile-friendly site. Also, when I'm in map mode, if I hover over a particular listing on the map, the listing photo will cover almost the entire map, making it impossible to navigate and see the rest of the listings in the area. Sort of defeats the purpose of this map feature. 

Rita569
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

totally agree! horrible site, difficulty to find information, when you find it, it is akwardly displayed, can't even find where reviews are published!  than there is the odd way to display when you wish to travel x your own properties! so many glitches! reviews done and never recorded/saved..the list goes on.  

Bobby42
Level 1
Harrow, United Kingdom

how can i downrate your customer support, its virtually none existent. engage with stakeholders and find out what issues we are facing, its an awful website.

Firs time on site. TOTAL **bleep**! Totally counter intuitive. Click on TRIPS and it tkes me to Sharing experiences. Does not explain easily how to save to specific Lists. OMG! I am booking tons of rooms for a month away and I cant save them to any manageable lsits. 

Oh I am glad there is someone who wants to hear specific needs of site users!

I have many complains regarding not logical navigation pattern but today my bigger concern is the calendar. Wish #1: I wish I could link it to my (outside of Airbnb web site) iPhone or/and iPad calendar App. I can’t google it out so far. 

Wish #2. Before #1 wish happened, I want to be able at least to put the date into my iPhone calendar by pushing this shown date and to see  generated message “create event ?” which would to bring it into my calendar, it is so typical for any other site. The dates in calendar -check ins and check outs are not active. Just flat. 

Wish #3. Before wish #2 happened, I want at least to have printable page where events (check in, check out) are listed Day By Day like, “April 26 Peter is checking out and Alice is checking in”, next - “April 28 Alice is checking out”. 

‘Wish #4. Before wish #3 will happen I want at least to be able to copy that Day By Day (not reservation by reservation!) list, but, surprise, it is not showing the entire list, just few top reservations, When you ask for “more” it switches back to reservations list customer after customer.

All I want to know are dates when I have check ins and check outs, and any easy access to copy and paste and then to print it out. It is getting harder to do with more reservations, I don’t want to miss anything. Well I expect you’d ask me why I don't I just use Airbnb calendar alone: because it is more convenient to have all my tasks (believe me I have more of them in my life besides my vacation rental) in one calendar! So far, If you want to create event you have to manually type it into your primary calendar on iPhone, and I hope you don’t have dyslexia or ADD. 

‘My last wish is that I was wrong and there is an easy way to do it I just did not figure it out yet. 

Happy 10th anniversary to your all??

Dan581
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I totally agree with you. The website is horrendous and completely unintuitive. It's one of the most frustrating I've experienced. I constantly have to google how to get to the information I want. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Andrew76  It's the worst. But even the worst websites can be mastered through trial & error, ending up with a certain usability level being gained to make it work for us. But they like to make "tweeks" to it on a continual basis, so just when you finally get the clunky thing figured out, they change it to somehting even more clunky.

Lately they had removed the Host tab from the top menu options - I see it's back now - but to get to the Host options there for awhile, I had to click on Hosting Help or Messages and work my way through to find the darn thing. Crazy. - Karen

EXACTLY, it's infuriating.