Airbnb screwed me on a cancellation - Beware of this

Francisco190
Level 2
Oslo, Norway

Airbnb screwed me on a cancellation - Beware of this

I have a strict cancellation policy on all my listings. This week a guest booked my place and then asked to cancel. She called Airbnb and the case manager informed her about my strict cancellation policy. So far, so good. 

Then the case manager informed the guest that she could get a larger refund than what's stated in the cancellation policy if I agreed to do so, so the guest should discuss this with me. This is where things went out of control. The case manager generated expectations of a higher refund on the guest's mind. When I informed the guest that I would stick to my strict cancellation policy, she got very angry, called me and insulted me (also through whatsapp messages that I sent to the case manager), and then said that she wouldn't cancel. As you could imagine I wasn't comfortable about hosting this angry aggressive person, but I didn't want to lose money either because I had done nothing wrong.

Airbnb should NEVER inform the GUEST that it is up to the host to give the guest a larger refund than what is stated in the cancellation policy. They shouls just stick to what says on the cancellation policy! Otherwise they pass on the problem to the host and create tension between the guest and the host, like it happened on my case. Instead, Airbnb could tell the HOST that if he or she is willing to provide a refund larger than what is agreed on the cancellation policy, he or she can do so.

I was expecting Airbnb to take some responsibility in this case, as I didn't do anything wrong, while Airbnb did (and the guest for that matter, by insulting me). Unexpectedly, the case manager decided to cancel the reservation within 7 days of arrival, without consent from my side, and no penalty to the guest. In brief, because of a mistake from the case manager, I lost all the money of this booking!

I am extremely annoyed at how the case manager handled this case, and I am seriously considering to withdraw my properties from Airbnb - apparently the case manager didn't care about this either...

20 Replies 20
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

From other posts on this forum it seems you are not alone.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

Direct message AirbnbHelp on twitter now with the details of what happened. They respond faster and have the authority to over ride a case managers actions, but you need act quickly. They should not have refunded.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The 'host may refund more' part should just go away. I have had people msg me to ask for more etc when they cancel. Do they email hotels who take one night if you cancel ? It feels like Airbnb still seems to be run from some bedroom somewhere...

Fully agree, otherwise this "flexibility"  opens the door for guests to nag, and this creates conflict between guest and host. 

The place is a sham do not use them I have a host horror story I hate Airbnb and will post bad stuff all over the internet.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Airbnb needs to stop setting up hosts to be 'the bad guy' (or gal) with guests. Our hosting life is challenging enough as it is these days. Our chosen cancellation policy should be supported. If we want to refund more, that should be up to us. Sounds like Customer Service is simply not getting enough training - the new call centers especially. They are just winging it and at times making stuff up - I know this to be the case from first-hand experience. Example: I had to call about an infant not being registered (yes, I know they are free, but they need to be registered). The CS rep from what I think was the Phillipines center was saying all kinds of things that I knew were completely erroneous. After I educated him, he hung up, then must have spoken to a manager, because he called me back and basically had to admit that I had been right. This needs to be fixed, STAT.

Hi Francisco.

I had the very same thing happen to me yesterday. I had a guest who did an adjustment who wanted to stay just 2 nights instead of 15. So, I declined it. In the meantime, I called Airbnb and Diane spoke to me. I asked to see what was going on. I explained the story why the guest wanted to leave. On the first night, the guest contacted me to show her how to get the washing machine to work. So, I went over and did so. The next day, she wanted to cancel because someone followed her in the streets ( As if it's my concern ). Then she wanted to blame the mosquitos ( I have fly screens all over the place. ) Then she blamed it on her feeling cold at night ( When all 3 AC's where on. Not obvious she's going to feel cold?) and stated that she did not have any blankets. I told her that in the apartment, there are blankets. So, she then was contacted by the case manager ( Gemma P ) who promised me that she will not get a penny as I am under strict policy. The another case amnager interveined ( Jenny ) who told me the same thing. 

The next day, Gemma P called me to tell me that I will not get the full funds as I had to go take a blanket. I explained there were blankets. ( What do you expect me to do? Go sleep over to keep her warm? ) So, she asked me if I would give her ( The guest ) a refund. I told her we are all her for business and not negotiating on it. She told me as a case manager, I am giving her the funds for the nights she won't be staying. Nice one Airbnb you don't even know your policies (If the guest cancels less than 7 days in advance or decides to leave early after check-in, the nights not spent are not refunded.) I even threatened to remove all my properties with Airbnb and cancel all bookings. She slapped me with a penalty if I did so. And does Airbnb thing I can't play my game too? I can easily change my bank to another. 

. This happened to me last year too and the year before. 

I will never ever trust them again. I already opened an account with Booking.com

JC

I had a similar nightmare with them a guest actually staged dirt in my property took photos that looked staged and complained about the bed and mattress in which I never had an issue with prior guests ad air bnb gave the 50 percent of a 21 day stay without my permission but little do they know they will not be able to debit my account.  I will take them to court they roll over for everyone I will never use their site again.

Nima29
Level 1
Zurich, Switzerland

I also had a very similar thing happened to me this week. A guest wanted to cancel from the moment they entered the apartment and called AirBnB (case manager Liza). AirBnB made promises to the guest and made unreasonable requests to me that I need to agree to (like sending a cleaning lady the day after, ...). This made the expectation of the guest go higher and they become rather hostile. In the end, AirBnB offers them free cancellation and I get nothing and lose a Friday evening arguing with Airbnb and the guest. 

I feel AirBnB is taking advantage of me although i am an excellent superhost, have tens of rave reviews, and overall 5-star rating. And I put so much effort into providing guests with a great experience.  

This has to stop!

Get away from this company go to vrbo or one of the others they did the same thing to me but I lost 50 days and they think they are going to debit my account but they are in  for a big surprise when they try.    People need to know what they do they are a sham.

Luca1668
Level 2
Salerno, Italy

Look on Facebook for the group: Airbnb Hosts Who Got Screwed by Airbnb

I've recently got seriously screwed by Airbnb after 3 years of great reviews and stats.
Airbnb threw me under the bus for a client that lied through their teeth in their review of my experience.

It is time we hosts band together and let Airbnb notice us and acknowledge that we are the hand that feeds it.

JOIN THE GROUP!!!

There are other companies to list with Vrbo being one of them I would never deal with Airbnb ever again after A tenant lied threw dirt on tile and wood floors to get 50% off there stay they were con artist and air bnb granted this to them without my permission.

Joyce368
Level 2
Corona, CA

Airbnb does not care about their hosts whatsoever I had a tenant get in my property and made up stuff to get a discount they threw dirt on some tile and wood floors and photographed it and said my unit wasn’t clean and said that there was something wrong with the mattress and air bnb folded and gave them huge discount without my permission.  They would not listen to my side at all I am taking them to court over this.  

Jillian153
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

I am having this issue right now. I am essentially losing $600 I can’t afford to lose and had to stay elsewhere.  I will never use Airbnb again.