Airbnb shows my listing as being in a different location from where it actually is

Jenny1
Level 2
New York, United States

Airbnb shows my listing as being in a different location from where it actually is

Hi, All!

Several recent guests of mine have expressed some frustration over the fact that, in searching, Airbnb shows my listing as being several blocks away from where it actually is.  In my neighborhood in Brooklyn, this means something.  (My listing is two blocks away from Prospect Park and bustling Vanderbilt  Avenue, for example, instead of the eight that Airbnb suggests.)  Any suggestions on how I might change this?  Thanks, Jenny

1 Reply 1
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

The little map showing the listing location will intentionally show your place 2-3 blocks from where it really is, for your own protection.  This is for your own protection, it is not an error.  It helps so that you don't have people who you didn't want to have stay at your house, just "dropping by", which could happen if the location were shown exactly.  Hosts have had problems with this, not only the awkwardness of guests dropping by who were not approved to stay, but potential scams and crimes can occur this way too.  Wouldn't it be convenient for burglars to browse on Airbnb, where they could easily see all homes exact locations, as well as many photos depicting exactly what was inside all those homes?  They could more easily decide which houses to burglarize that way, and the convenient host calendar would also tell them exactly just when the host was planning to be out of town on vacation, giving them the ideal information to commit their crimes.  So, it's important for Airbnb to take steps to make sure that host's exact location is NOT disclosed on the site!!! 

If you want to clarify more where you are, which may make more sense in a big city (as opposed to a small town where narrowing down would really give away exact home location) you can state on your listing description the block you are on, eg, "I'm on 122nd Street on the block between Jefferson and Greenwich".  I dont' think there is a way to get your location to show exactly on the little map that shows below your listing.