Airbnb still collects Taxes on 28 Day Reservations

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Airbnb still collects Taxes on 28 Day Reservations

I have reported this computer error in the past and was informed the system was working correctly, but in fact my very next reservation

was placed for 28 days and it charged the taxes, so my guest changed to 29 days, taxes, 30 days, taxes, then 31 days and magically  the taxes

vanished.  This event proves the system is still flawed.  If a guest were to discover that taxes had been collected from them illegally they would

of course expect to be refunded. This is not the kind of mistake Airbnb can afford to make. To avoid this event on my end I have set my minimum

stay at 31 days. 

Susan
4 Replies 4
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I’m sure you know more about this than I do, but the State of Oregon website (oregon.gov) says the following about the State Lodging Tax:

Lodgers exempt from the state lodging tax include:
  • Those who spend 30 or more consecutive days at the same facility.
  • Federal employees on federal business.

Daniela2160
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Did Airbnb fix this?  I am in Vancouver Canada, the same error is happening.  The government here clearly states 30 or more days are exempt from taxes , but Airbnb programmed it to 30 days or less to charge taxes.  Like you said 31 days eliminates the error.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Daniela2160 ,

Did you have a chance to connect with Airbnb Customer Support to get more clarity regarding this tax collection?

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Daniela2160
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

It is definitely a programming error by Airbnb. 30 days s a month, not 31 days.