Airbnb support for host when guests violated “no pets” policy and unauthorized guest

Nhi72
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

Airbnb support for host when guests violated “no pets” policy and unauthorized guest

Hi everyone, just curious what support Airbnb can provide to hosts when the guests violated the no-pet rule policy and also brought in overnight unauthorized guest (referred to as friend). I have a new guest who booked for a month and on her first night of check-in she already broke multiple house rules. I don't feel comfortable continue hosting. Upon messaging, she just replied she will let her friend know the house has no pet rule. The pet already stayed there for the night.

I have the following questions specifically if anyone can help out:

(1) What "punishments" would I get by terminating the reservation?

(2) What supports can Airbnb provide in this case?

(3) Can I charge a fine/pet cleaning fee?

(4) Am I obligated to refund the reservation since my booking is set as "Strict"?

(5) Can I request house inspection for potential damages?

And any general advice would be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies 11
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Nhi72 

1. If you cancel or terminate the reservation Airbnb will charge the fees to you, leave your calendar blocked for the length of the reservation, and warn you that if it happens again you can be delisted.

You should try to persuade the unwanted guest to terminate herself.

2. The appropriate question is not what CAN Airbnb do for you, but what WILL they do. The answer is “little or nothing.”

3. You can try, but if the guest refuses to pay, Airbnb will not back you up.

4. Airbnb will refund unused nights regardless of your cancellation policy.

5. You can give “reasonable notice” of an inspection, which is usually 24 hours, and it should be given in a writing.

If the guest refuses to let you in, however, you will have a problem.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nhi72 I think @Brian2036 is wrong. If a guest is breaking your house rules you can ask Airbnb to terminate the stay and they will be refunded for nights not stayed.

Call or message Airbnb and you will find out who is right!

Nhi72
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

Thank you @Brian2036 and @Mike-And-Jane0! I have been mentally prepared but it's still sad to know there is little to nothing of a landlord's rights on Airbnb, compare to a legal leasing contract that you can work out on your own.

I have messaged Airbnb yesterday and still waiting for their response. From me searching through the Support side though, it doesn't seem very promising.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Nhi72 

Airbnb could notify the guest that they are no longer welcome and tell them to leave immediately.

They have done this from time to time for reasons they refuse to reveal, but there are many posts from hosts who want it done, but waited days or weeks and nothing was done.

CS has no way of forcing guests out of your house but they could cancel the remainder of their stay and inform them that they will not receive a refund unless they leave immediately.

A hint that they may incur civil and/or criminal liability if they remain on the property might also be effective, but it’s not happening.

Ultimately it is the host’s responsibility to remove problem guests.

I would start by giving written notice to the guest that her unregistered visitors and all animals must be removed from the premises immediately.

Unless I were determined to remove the registered guest as well, I would give written notice that she must read and acknowledge (in writing) the house rules immediately, and that any further violations will result in her eviction without refund.

Hopefully this will encourage her to go crying to CS, cancel her own reservation, and leave.

If not perhaps she will try to behave appropriately for the rest of her stay.

Either way you can expect a vindictive and destructive review.

In your response you can briefly note that the guest began her stay by violating important house rules and, after being notified of the violations, refused to comply.

That will serve as a warning to other hosts, similar incorrigible guests, and her nasty review will be ignored by discerning future applicants.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nhi72 "it's still sad to know there is little to nothing of a landlord's rights on Airbnb, compare to a legal leasing contract that you can work out on your own."

This is why although Airbnb promotes long term stays and encourages hosts to offer them, most experienced hosts, or at least those who've read up about the pitfalls on hosting forums, will advise you not to take long term Airbnb bookings. 

Some hosts manage to do it successfully, but it can have a lot to do with what you offer, the location, and the guest's reason for wanting a long term stay. As well as how thorough a host is in vetting prospective guests and how comfortable and skilled they are at making sure guests understand they won't tolerate rule-breaking or disrespect.

Nhi72
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

Thank you @Brian2036  and @Sarah977! These tips are very insightful. It's a little heart-shattering for new hosts to execute for sure. But all good lessons often come with a cost.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Nhi72 

Yes, I agree that this dose of reality is bitter medicine but if you take it as a learning experience you will be ahead of the game in the future.

We don’t accept bookings longer than 28 days because of this. If you decide to do that you should have a standard lease agreement which includes a “real” security deposit and a firm refund policy.

Then, if they provide grounds for eviction or decide to shorten their stay, and they want to dispute the contact they signed, they can go to small-claims court with it.

All you will need to do is show up, enter your contract into evidence, and you will win unless the Court finds it to be clearly unconscionable.

If we ever decide to do long-term rentals I think we will advise guests to book through Airbnb for one week, then, at our discretion, we MAY offer them a longer term lease and leave Airbnb out of it.

Nhi72
Level 2
Hillsboro, OR

@Brian2036 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Sarah977 

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all the comments and support again! I just want to give some updates about what I find out from Airbnb:

Despite the very slow response (average 1 reply per 24 hrs), the content has been very promising:

(1) Since I had the proof of the violation, Airbnb support said, in writing, that they will contact the guests and request a cancellation of the reservation, while I can still keep the full payout (no refund to guest)

(2) Additional support is Airbnb will warn the guest about this violation, and if they continue, their account can be deactivated and removed from Airbnb

I felt relieved and just wanted to let you know that as LLs we do have these rights and supports when things went south.

As for how the situation actually goes: The unauthorized guest and pets have been removed from the property. After days of thoughts, I've decided to forgive and let the original guests keep their reservation. I hope it is the right decision 🙂 but we will see after the guests check out at the end. My understanding is that I can still use the resolution center to claim for any damages/extra cleaning that incurs.

@Nhi72  just keep in mind Airbnb will not pay for any damage done by pets. Only if it is done by humans. So you know what to say if you will have to use the resolution center.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning! 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

We’re really pleased to share some details with you that were recently announced! All Hosts will soon have access to Aircover, a free top-to-cover protection. 

Host feedback is always very much appreciated, so please let us know how you like the new service by sharing your thoughts here on the Community Center once it has launched. 

Thanks,

Liv