Airbnb tells guests that are cancelling that the host can choose to give them a full refund

Answered!
Julie732
Level 5
St Paul, MN

Airbnb tells guests that are cancelling that the host can choose to give them a full refund

Recently I ran into an issue with Airbnb support telling a guest that was cancelling the same day that they were supposed to be checking in, that they couldn’t give them a full refund, but that I could if I wanted to. There were no extenuating circumstances, they just found a free place to stay. I found this incredibly inappropriate and off-putting.

In my view, Airbnb has three cancellation policies that hosts can choose from and if a guest cancels, Airbnb support should not be doing anything more than reiterating the designated policy to the guest. When they say things like, “well, I can’t but if you reach out to your host maybe they will be understanding and let you cancel without a penalty,” it just puts the host in a bad position. After checking with my local community it seems that Airbnb is doing this as a common practice which is really deplorable.

Airbnb keeps the booking fee so it’s no skin off their back if a guest gets a full refund from the host since if just leads to a happy guest at the host’s expense. I am not so sure I like being a host much anymore. 

1 Best Answer

Hiya @Helen427 ,

Thanks so much for reaching out. Because you have chosen the Flexible cancellation policy, this is in line with the parameters laid out.

You could move to a different policy if you want to avoid this type of situation (although of course stricter policies might decrease your bookings).

I know this topic is a hot one amongst hosts, so I'm sure there are many hosts here that can share their experiences with the different policies available! Please refer to our documentation about the parameters of the different options here, too: Cancellation Policies

Thanks,

Laura

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

View Best Answer in original post

81 Replies 81

@Julie732  Yes Airbnb has been doing it for quite some time now, and they really ought to cut it out.

My response to a guest seeking an unwarranted refund:

"I will be honoring the terms of the cancellation policy that we mutually agreed to in our contract. You might consider checking if Airbnb expenses are eligible for a claim under your personal Travel Insurance policy."

@Anonymous I'm going to use that as one of my saved messages - thank you!

and enjoy your retalitory, bad, 1 star review! Airbnb lets guests who cancelled, leave a review even though they never set foot on your property.

I'm not sue this is accurate.  It has been my experience that when guests have cancelled prior to the arrival date they do not have the option to review their 'stay'. 

True Statement, they can leave a review even if they cancel outside of their cancellation window. Also, I declined to give a same day cancellation a full refund, But Air BNB customer service just jept calling me over and over again until I agreed. I felt harassed and badgered.

@Anne1036 This is true for csncellation occurs on the checkin date. There were many hosts complaining about this. I am not sure if there is a cutoff time. But it did occur in my friend’s booking.

I didn’t know airbnb let guests who cancelled leave any reviews. This is just not fair to the host and shouldn’t be allowed. 

@Donald28 Guests who cancelled prior to the check-in date can't leave a review. Those who cancel on or after the check-in period might be able to leave a review, but giving them a refund does not buy you a 5-star rating.

Alpa2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I agree thanks 

@Anonymous @Julie732 @Jane1007 @Ange2 

Thank you @Anonymous and others for this topic and input.

I've just had a guest who IB 2 nights, arrived late & then whinged to me the place wasn't as expected as they hadn't even bothered to read my listing (Guest is also a Host), sent a msg to me during the night to say he wanted to only stay 1 night.

Had a discussion with him & said to contact ABB Customer Services if he wanted to cancel/ change his booking.

He claimed couldn't get onto website to find where to do it & requested a" partial OFFLINE CASH refund that he wuould come & pick up & would write a Good Review! ".

I don't want him back on my property.

Naturally I promptly reported him to ABB as a breach of Terms of Service & spoke to CS who have subsequently contacted him. They have sent a msg to say I would receive the full payment, as per my Flexible cancellation policy.

He's since cancelled his entire booking - last night & tonight - & asking for a refund still & alleged he wanted a place with "more privacy" yet my place was good value - It's in my listing I give Guests space, however he indicated he wanted a Living area for his private use. My listing states it's a shared space.

He as a Host also said to me he's sick of ABB & guests in general so got a few issues.

What do you other folk here in CC suggest I may do?

Should I write to him & say something along the lines of "sorry my place is not what you expected despite the fact that my listing is accurate & maybe in future you may like to take more caution to read listings before making a Booking?"

Give a partial refund?
Leave it to him to apply for it under Resolution Centre?

Or other?

I'm unsure if I should perhaps msg him the msg that @Anonymous has written above & leave it up to him to address & leave a review to the last minute.

Thoughts & input would be appreciated

@Helen427    Definitely  "Leave it to him to apply for it under Resolution Centre."

Guest is also a host but "couldn't get onto website to find where to do it & requested a" partial OFFLINE CASH a refund that he would come & pick up & would write a Good Review! ".

What is it with some hosts who think as guests they are privileged , do not have to respect the terms of service, don't have to read anything, can break the rules and ask you to do the same,  use blackmail and do everything that they would never accept from a guest.  I had one host/guest couple like that.

@Helen427  Failure to read the listing is not a circumstance that merits any kind of refund. If the cancellation is complete, you really don't need to take any further action on the matter. Due to the fact that the guest tried to demand money from you in an offsite transaction, you can go to his profile, click Report and choose Block. This will prevent him from contacting you or booking your room again.

I have the same issue that the do not read my listing, just book by reviews or it looks nice. The guest should not be refunded if they did not read your listing. It is likely they found something cheaper.

Nico163
Level 2
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Something similar happened to me and I have no idea what to do.... 

The guest came into the property... I have no idea what happened but starteaining about everything. Claimed the building was under constriction, canceled the reservation without talking to AIRBNB or ME. I called airbnb to let them know what was going on, to be aware cause the guest canceled with out  explination. They said, no worries, your booked dates are covered anyways.

5 days later... on the day they were supposed to be checking out, airbnb made the decision of refunding the money to the guests, without even talking to me first. 

When I called them... after a VERY POOR cutomer service.. the agent that handled the case sent me "proof" for the cancelation... they were pictures of a building under construction... you could see IN THE PICTURES... the WRONG ADDRESS!  Mine is a different one. This guys didnt even noticed it and sais the decision was made there was no way to take it back. I lost $1664... cause i dont OWN the apt, i manage it. Nobody wants to take responsability for the mistake. What to do? who to talk? any ideas?

Thanks guys.