Airbnb thesis- Impacts of trust on guest and host relationship

Subhan0
Level 2
Jönköping, SE

Airbnb thesis- Impacts of trust on guest and host relationship

Hello!

My name is Subhan **** and I am a student at Jönköping University. My colleague, Loredana ****, and I are conducting interviews as part of our thesis to research the role trust plays in sharing economy. As an Airbnb host, you are in an ideal position to give us valuable first hand information from your own perspective. Therefore, we are inviting you to participate in our study The interview takes around 45 minutes and is very informal. We are interested in hearing your unique stories and thoughts as Airbnb hosts. Your responses to the questions will be kept confidential. Each interview will be assigned a number code to help ensure that personal identifiers are not revealed during the analysis and write up of findings.

There is no compensation for participating in this study. However, your participation will be a valuable addition to our research and findings could lead to greater public understanding of trust and sharing economy. If you are willing to participate please suggest a day and time that suits you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at: **** 

Thank you, Loredana **** & Subhan ****

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–to use the direct messaging system in the Community Center hover over the profile photo and click 'Send Message']

1 Reply 1
Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

Your study sounds very interesting and a good topic of social interaction, but too late. 

I as a host must trust, guests must only show ID. 

All of your contact information has been masked by Airbnb.  No-one will be able to directly respond and participate.  

I can tell you, my brother jumped on the Airbnb idea early and worked hard to be a trusted guest.  I have only been a host for 9 months, and Airbnb has changed their model to service the guest and uses/discounts/devalues the host.  The business model has changed from trust to profit. 

Most Airbnb units are no longer home hosting offers, they are autonomous spaces rented out for profit prospectors who reap the benefit of hoteliers without the rules/licenses/protections to the traveler that modern-day hotels must meet. 

Do an analysis of how many Airbnb spaces each host offers, your will find many have 4 – 80. 

Find the single host if you want to research trust.  You will find single space hosts the most interesting for your research.  But it will not be about trust, it will be about survival.