Airbnb to Verify All 7 Million Listings

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Airbnb to Verify All 7 Million Listings

In case you missed it:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/airbnb-verify-million-properties-improve-trust-66800644

This is great and something that should have been a no-brainer. Plenty of bad listings out there. But it still seems to be vilifying the hosts when the biggest need is to address bad GUEST behavior.

Thoughts?

102 Replies 102
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Suzanne302 

With all due respect to you and everyone else encouraged by these proclamations...

1- we've seen this kind of reaction from the leadership before

2- Yes, hosts are currently being villified and implicated as responsible for this tragedy by the management

3- and the real kicker is the definition of "verify."

So far, what that has meant is an internal (within this platform) comparison of the ID name to the form of Payment.

It does NOT mean the ID presented is not fake, it is not a formal background check, and it has meant that profiles can still be changed, use fake names, and cartoon character personas with no uploading of anything further or any additional information provided.  The "instant book" options does NOT eliminate any of these loopholes of afford any real additional protections, as many threads in this community illustrate.

It's more marketing that's not backed up with anything solid.  The recent press is a repeat of previously alleged promises using a different spin and body language (red face clenched fists, etc) designed to psychologically enlist the viewer.

The current rhetoric is actually carefully worded, calculated distraction from the real systemic issues of safety and ID confirmations we've been discussing here for years, that other platforms have already enacted.  This platform already allows "professional hosts" aka commercial management companies hotels/motels, and multi-property listers to enact the internal safeties independent hosts have been clamoring for, and law enforcement and insurance claims require, yet maintains policy that tries to restrict us from doing the same on our own, with carefully worded and often contradictory policy/TOS language and replies to our concerns.

In reality, it is our property, we have the right to ask for legal forms of ID and signatures of agreement at check in, and a responsibility to do so to protect our investment, liability, and safety, and many concerned hosts who still list here do, and many are actually required to by their municipalities in the US and abroad.

This platform has reasons for not wanting us to have that information that are not disclosed to us which are directly connected to profit/fear of making deals outside the platform, and could also mitigate ALL of this by enlisting the same ID/Background checks used by millions of employers/.orgs/child care, and government entities to cover everyone's concerns at huge volume discounts...but has chosen not to, which charging the highest booking fees in the industry, surpassing platforms that already provide this service.

Why?

That's a question I'd like to see responded to with the data to back it up.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Rob468  and everyone else who thinks this is heroic, think again.

Please look beyond the current reactionary PR spin doctoring and research the historical facts.  This is not the first example of Airbnb violent deaths, avoidable misrepresentations, and callous disregard for safety and property, and HOSTS are being scapegoated, when hosts have been the ones warning Airbnb about these very issues for YEARS.

The ONLY aspect Mr Chesky has included in the "7 Million" campaign is LISTING  accuracy.  It mentions NOTHING ABOUT VERIFYING GUESTS.  Look at this, published 2 days ago!  It totally blaming hosts for Airbnb's platform-wide shortcomings and is utterly insulting to the memory of those who were violently murdered on Airbnb's watch and their grieving families along with every host on this platform: https://news.airbnb.com/in-the-business-of-trust/

It's Airbnb's business to "verify" every listing, profile, host, and guest BEFORE they're allowed to be active.  It's part of the job. 

The fact that they admit they've not done so in the wake of horrific violence, multiple deaths, and thousands of scams in which they've sided with the scammer and illegal house party organizers speaks volumes in terms of the real profit-at-all-costs priorities and a serious moral and ethical lapse in the inherent disregard for the risk and cost to others.

LIFE is priceless and death is final.  Prevention is inexpensive. 

Performing basic industry vetting requirements would clean up most of the messes before they happen, preventing much of the trauma and criminal activity that has occurred.

Airbnb has increasingly become a magnet for scammers and criminals precisely because they're notorious for not requiring guests to prove who they are, don't vet anyone, and refund every scammer and partying property trasher out there....and, go read the fine print on "verification" if you want to read Policy and Terms of Service as clear as mud and walk away shaking your head. 

Short story:

"7 Million Verifications" in "Airbnb speak" is a form of independent host-bashing to dodge responsibility for their own deadly shortcomings.

Airbnb "verification"  means an internal process in which Airbnb "polices itself" by randomly selecting a small percentage of cases in which they compare the name on the ID to the rest (if any) personal information/form of payment provided by whoever, to see if they match. It has nothing to do with professional  ID verification to be sure they are legal or valid or a basic criminal background check to check for convictions for violence, felonies, sex offender status, or terrorist activity of anyone active on the Airbnb platform.

The statement "7 million verifications" was aimed to focus blame on the very hosts who sounded the alarm over several years, designed by expensive PR "Fixers" to make Mr Chesky sounds like a hero to deceive investors for the upcoming IPO.  In actuality it means an arbitrary, unprofessional, and meaningless endeavor in mitigating future risk, and is nothing more than a means of deflecting attention from the real issues to confuse the public into thinking Airbnb will be safer for the impending IPO.  Nothing has changed, it's just business as usual.  The deaths were a messy side effect that is being handled like a payoff.

Other terms for this are "smoke and mirrors, "gaslighting" "sleight of hand" "calculated distraction," "hushing" and "profit over people."

Anyone who's a parent, or has a shred of compassion, empathy, or moral consciousness is mortified that this has happened and nauseated by how it is being handled by the corporate leadership.

@Susan1028I think you may be misunderstanding most of the hosts here? My original post was to question why they are talking about checking up on hosts when the big problem is bad guests. Most of the hosts responding here agree.

You seem to imply we're saying the opposite and applauding the efforts of Airbnb? Your posts seem to indicate so. If I'm wrong in that assumption, I apologize. But I don't think anyone here is giving Airbnb a standing ovation for their efforts after this shooting so no need to preach to the choir.

@Susan1028 Yet another term is 'reality distortion' - which Chesky, et al, are masters at. Constantly reiterating the words 'trust' and 'community' and directly implying that hosts are the problem that led to the Orinda shootings and scam listings - when they know **bleep** well that we are the ones who have been protesting our decreasing ability to vet and screen guests for years. 

Coercive control of hosts is Airbnb's specialty. I'll pass on this latest batch of Kool-Aid, thanks.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Mike-And-Helen0and anyone else who "didn't see the internal memo below or public statements by Mr Chesky...

What do you think this internal "7 Million Listing Verification" will realistically lead to when guests are not being included?

Why are the "listings" being "verified" when it's the PEOPLE who make policy decisions and pull triggers?

READ THIS; IT CLEARLY EXPLAINS EVERYTHING THAT'S BEING SAID BY THE MANAGEMENT WHO'S THROWING HOSTS UNDER THE BUS https://news.airbnb.com/in-the-business-of-trust/

and ask yourself why your listing/business is being targeted for investigation, when you and your listing had nothing at all to do with any violence or scamming.

If that's not a scam, what is?

Am interested to know if you personally have had a bad experience with Airbnb?

Hi @Susan1028 I'm not sure why your post was to me?

I've read the press release and what jumped out at me was that "hosts" were being blamed when this was a guest issue.

Some of the articles I've read about the tragic shooting implies hosts were to blame for their not being proper security at the party.

I wonder if they even knew there was to be a party.

@Mike-And-Helen0 The host was reportedly told by the guest she and her family needed to escape the smoke from the Northern California fires. Host was concerned it was a one-night reservation and specifically stated to guest "No parties allowed." Host intervened immediately when security cameras revealed party attenders; he also called police, called Airbnb, and drove to house to stop party. 

And now the Host has been de-listed by Airbnb, and is being sued by family, AND is being scapegoated publicly, (along with ALL hosts), via Chesky's 'shaming and blaming' statements to the press since this incident. Great way to distract the public from the actual facts: Hosts have systematically had their ability to properly screen and vet prospective guests taken away from them for the past two years due to Airbnb's policies that reward hosts for knowing as little as possible about who is staying in their home by featuring them higher in the search rankings.

Why this is not sparking outrage and alarm in ALL hosts who are keeping up-to-date with these events is beyond me. 

@Susan1028   this is a complete joke.   He is doing ABSOLUTELY nothing to address the real problem.   I don't want to reiterate what has already been said a hundred times on this thread, but Chesky's PR- posturing is laughable. 

I, for one, will NOT be part of this BS.  I have already blocked my calendar and am not accepting any bookings until I figure out how to proceed.  There are just some things that are more important than money.  I wish we could orchestrate a mass exodus of hosts---I'd like to to think that would get Chesky's attention.   At the very least, it would be nice, if the NYT or any other reputable paper would write a piece from a host's perspective.

@Ann489

and

@Rebecca181

I'm with you.  I'm dark for the next 4 weeks.

@Susan17 Notice the repeated use of the words 'trust' and 'community'. A completely fabricated version of reality is being dispensed far and wide as a means of bypassing Airbnb's policies that reward hosts for not screening prospective guests adequately by featuring their listings higher in the search rankings if they surrender to 'Instant Booking' criteria. Specifically: The less you choose to know about your guest(s), the more you are rewarded by Airbnb. Via THEIR OWN POLICIES. So, who is really responsible for these five deaths?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

One of the reasons fake listings & scammers if multiple property listings exists & has caused this issue to arise is that there's a serious lack of regulations & background verifications of "Property Managers".

One sees them advertising their trade in here either to Co Host or manage other peoples properties yet they have very little credentials.

whilst we all have to start somewhere there's those who see a "Quick easy buck" who simply shouldn't be in the business in general.

Just what regulatory body do "Multiple Property managers" who have been caught scamming with Fake Listings come under?

I believe this is where the issues lie with "Verifications"  of Host's properties.

Frankly I'd be extremely annoyed as a Property Owner of my property had been listed with a reputable Real Estate agent & then sublet as a whole property without any consultation or agreement which is highly likely to have happened in some of the major mass scamming situations that have arisen.

I don't have an issues with those people at all coming under scrutiny.

There's a property in Remuera that a guy hosts out to individuals whilst he lives overseas & is full of bad reviews, & when he's been reported - I've been advised by guests who have stayed there, he just starts a new listing for exactly the same room too get around it.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

I am guessing most of the scams are taking places in big cities / countries that do have post. Deal with the vast majority of places that can receive post first and then the exceptions differently. Airbnb have the resources to find out what places cannot receive post.

@Tony-And-Una0  Yeah, for sure they could start with the property -managed listings in cities. But no, I can't imagine how they would have the resources to find out what places cannot receive mail, aside from asking the owner. There are plenty of places in my town that receive mail- my place just happens to be a bit out of town, down dirt roads, where none of the house numbers go in any discernable order-notonly is there no mail delivery, but taxis and delivery vehicles aren't able to find the place using the address.

Airbnb would never know that unless I told them.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

Seven million by Dec 2020

That works out at approx 17,500 checks per day..