Airbnb to Verify All 7 Million Listings

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Airbnb to Verify All 7 Million Listings

In case you missed it:

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/airbnb-verify-million-properties-improve-trust-66800644

This is great and something that should have been a no-brainer. Plenty of bad listings out there. But it still seems to be vilifying the hosts when the biggest need is to address bad GUEST behavior.

Thoughts?

102 Replies 102

It would seem daunting to inspect all listing. I’m thinking all they have to do is alert the guests to contact Abb immediately if the host is trying to “relocate” them and then inspect that listing. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Suzanne302 @Helen350 

I don't think Airbnb intends to check each listing one by one. Hosts are already rated for "accuracy" so they can use it to detect false and scum listings with low accuracy ratings.

The question is - why they didn't already?

I am just afraid they will now go to another extreme and delist every host after the first complaint and refund the guest without even checking is the complaint legitimate or false.

I doubt it, because Airbnb wants even more hosts on board.

@Mary742  No they don't. They want the hosts who complain about Airbnb policy and customer service, and those who don't bring them vast amounts of service fees to leave the platform, to be replaced with new, innocent hosts, preferably big earners, who actually think Airbnb is their "partner" and will back them up if there's a problem. 

If they were the least bit concerned about hosts leaving the platform, they'd treat hosts and their suggestions with respect.

I'd not thought of that, you could be quite right!  They want new, innocent hosts, like i used to be... Thank you for enlightening me!

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Yeah, I can see that as as a very real possibility. So now hosts not only have to be freaked out about getting a bad, lying revenge review, now we have to be afraid that if a guest says the listing was inaccurate because you changed the shower curtain without updating the bathroom photo, you'll get delisted.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

I'd apply for the local Inspector job in a flash. I could finally marry my loves...being nosey and  being bossy.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Suzanne302   I'm all for "verifying'.  Let's start with the guests. 

THIS. @Suzanne302 

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I’ve come across listings that looked shady; only showing one “model home” concept picture. I always hoped nobody would fall for those types of listings, but people have fallen for those emails where a rich king wants to deposit millions of dollars into their bank account.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How is this a response to the shooting? Was the host somehow misrepresenting their place? I don't see the connection. 

Wouldn't a better way to go be to make stricter rules around guests who invite people not registered on the reservation? 

@Laura2592 @Jody79 This is in response to this article:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43k7z3/nationwide-fake-host-scam-on-airbnb

which was published on October 31st.  Apparently, The FBI is asking questions now. It's a good read.

@Emilia42 thanks. Its just a little sad to me that people are dead and the measures Airbnb is taking are to protect their brand from scamming hosts. Wouldn't putting more guards in place to make sure that unsafe situations like unsanctioned parties make more sense? Seems like the loss of life would be a higher priority than the loss of "trust" by a few potential customers. But clearly the corporate direction is not in line with that. 

@Laura2592 

I agree and I'm not saying that Airbnb is making all the right moves but they still have a few days left (in the "10 day sprint") so there are likely more announcements to come. But in all reality, this is America . . . . I really don't think that an extra verification for guests is going to curb any gun violence or make Airbnb any safer. But we'll see how it plays out. 

@Emilia42  sad but true. Maybe Airbnb will pull a rabbit out of a hat. In the meantime anyone who wants to visit my listing to verify and snoop around is more than welcome. I will bring some wine!