Airbnb to the rescue!

Airbnb to the rescue!

Something joyful to report.

We're headed to a major outdoor cycling event. My husband has been anticipating this for over a year. The event has been sold out for a year and has a waiting list. We snagged the last hotel room six months ago. I booked because there were no AIrbnbs in town and I didn't want to commute in to town every day because I will still be working remotely.

Big mistake. Hotel closed without notice leaving guests scrambling. The closest hotels with space are 50 minutes away. Not convenient for a 3-day event.

But a new host just joined the platform. He renovated to add an apartment. He's right in the middle of the town.  Was not there last year. Looks like he has bookings already coming in for the summer but we'll be his first guests. He saw my profile and said he would love to talk and get tips when I arrive.

Airbnb is so amazing when it's about relationships, sharing and friendship. And hosts that join just when disaster hit. This will be the third home we've booked for travel in the last 24 hours. Looks like things are returning to normal.

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What a lovely story, @Christine615 .  For those of us who have the time and inclination to help a guest with a problem, it is nice to be appreciated.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

That new host sounds like the best kind of host, @Christine615 ! Looking for tips from his veteran superhost first guest! 

"Airbnb is so amazing when it's about relationships, sharing and friendship."

Yes! I had such a good stay a few weeks ago as a guest, and was just talking with lovely repeat guests about a stay here. When it's good it's very, very good.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

So lovely to hear @Christine615 .

I do hope that you and your husband have a really wonderful time! x

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Christine615 
My first guest was a super host so “go you”!   May this new host have many a fine guest as yourselves.  He is already on track by being willing to take knowledge on board and reaching out and communicating well.

BTW, may the cycling go well. Are we talking major event cycling or local race or fun cycling? Are you both riding or watching?  With Garry, I put my hand up to be support crew!  Lol....

@Cathie19 

Thanks. It's a massive annual event in another state. There's a 50, 100 and 200 mile race over three days, plus a huge festival. His group is a sponsor and has been practicing for the 100. There's a wide range of ages with a lot of people our age participating. I'm just the cheerleading squad and sag wagon.

It's kind of shocking that the Clarion hotel closed during the pandemic and didn't tell a soul knowing the event was sold out (There's a waiting list for riders wanting to do it). I hear the local university is charging $300/night for a dorm room that's how many people show up.

I did find another new Airbnb about 20 miles away but it only has a single photo of the exterior and nothing else. Ken was curious but I vetoed that one quick. Oye - this platform - when it works, it's amazing. When it doesn't work, it's kind of scary.

If the place I booked is legit, I'm going to be showering the owner with love for coming to our rescue ❤️

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

We've made some of the most amazing relationships over the years through hosting on Airbnb. These are friendships that today have lasted for several years. It's amazing the connections you create when you share living space with others and cook over a conversation. A while ago we posted a large world map on our wall with a marker, having our guests sign their names at the point they come from. The map has become very sentimental. We make it a point to visit some of our friends when we go to other countries now, and it becomes an amazing adventure all in itself. I believe this is the true intention that I hope Airbnb always maintains and never forgets.