Airbnb will now move a guest to an Airbnb hotel and refuse pay out

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Airbnb will now move a guest to an Airbnb hotel and refuse pay out

I had a guest who booked at least a month ago and scheduled to move in Thursday. This morning I got a message from Airbnb that this guest prefers a hotel so they moved her and I will not be getting a pay out. She was moved to a hotel listed on Airbnb. I thought I was aware of all the tricks they have to screw us but they keep amazing me with new ones. 

27 Replies 27
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Every day they seem to make it more and more clear how little regard they have for hosts. It's sickening.

I, have created 19 un-published pages for my units, all almost ready for rent buy the Ocean in Puerto Rico, however making contact with Air/BNB for any type of assistance is impossible, I, have called numerous times only to be disconnected after 45 minutes on hold. I, am seriously reconsidering moving forward with them. considering redoing pages on HomeAway? or any other sight that's easier to work with. I haven't even begun and the stress created by their lack of and poor, or in my case no communication is completely unacceptable! Why isn't their a dedicated line just for Host! If so some one please tell me!?! Any advice would be helpful thanks.

I had a host cancelled on me and had yet to issue. Refund ..... I’ve contacted air bnb every day for. Week and have not heard anything! will be getting a lawyer of I have too! 

Hello Molly, As you probably know, the host is not the agent to refund your money as it is Air BNB who hold the money, not the host.  If you have been messaging Air BNB, perhaps you need to call 855 424 7262 for customer service.  I am most successful without a long wait if I call very early in the morning.  Good luck.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 @Sarah977  I think Airbnb does not have a clear idea of what it wants to "be" and so it tries to be everything to everyone with random initiatives/services/features that go by the wayside as quickly as they are introduced. Instead of aiming for a target, it's like they just throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

Hosts are always in control, except when they're not. Airbnb has your back, except when it doesn't.

Airbnb is an amazing concept but leadership seems to have no direction. I've said this before (along with many other hosts here) that I just continue to use it for my own gain and get from it what I can without really having any expectations. It's a sad way to operate, but, because of the way the company is run we really have no other choice if we want to keep our sanity!

Agreed! Its completely out of control at this point. They promised for covid host help with %25 of cancelled reservations amount within the period they state and when you come up with their miscalculation in first place you hear so many excuses from the reps to not to give you what they promised. I showed every single proof to explain them how they are wrong and literally they keep closing the cases on me where they have no idea how to manage it. Perhaps they are out of money at this point so they can't pay anyone what they owe...

The model has been failing along with poor leadership and I think they are kind of switchin the system to airbnb hotels owned by the company so the hosts will not be important anymore. I do have a feeling they will take all hosts out within a year or so.

SO true about COVID cancellation payouts. We personally are getting maybe 1/3 of what we should be getting based on how they originally sold it to us. So not cool. 

@Matt3525

I totally agree! Hosts have become the lowest priority possible for ABB. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have 9 entire house listings, which look lovely BTW, with strict cancellation and two days before check in there is a cancellation.  So what, if any, infomation did Air BNB provide?  How did you find out the guest went to a hotel?  This seems a new weird from Air BNB.

@Linda108 Thank you for your kind words. I got an email from Airbnb that said this guest prefers hotel and we have moved them to another property. You will not be getting a pay out. I have course questioned that and rep said decision was final. He even tried to invoke extenuating circumstances to which I said how can it possibly be m- they are staying at another property in chicago. It was a dead end

I’ve been hearing SO many excuses from them lately re extenuating circumstances and why that gives them the right to walk all over hosts, then, just for that extra touch, refund their guests in full to add insult to injury. 

Airbnb are using a loophole facility  to guests and your cancellation policy is totally trampled on and dumped  leaving you with nothing and putting a smile on travellers at your expense- Totaly Illegal  and abusive over hosts,: They will soon have to face legislation consequences

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Inna22 , it was a preemptive strike on the "better suited to a hotel" review?

@Lawrene0 : Touché! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼         Lol.....