Airbnb won't accept invoice for repaired gas leak?

Brian1646
Level 2
New York, NY

Airbnb won't accept invoice for repaired gas leak?

I am a super host with nearly a 5-star rating and I'm so frustrated. We had a minor gas leak a month ago which was promptly repaired within hours. We had two lovely guests who can verify this information. However, Airbnb wants an invoice as proof of the fix. Fair enough. The problem is that I'm fighting tooth and nail to understand why the invoice is not good enough? Apparently the last thing required is a "logo" from the contractor. The problem is that the plumber is a one-guy shop and he doesn't have a logo. Airbnb won't speak to me by phone. This is so frustrating and unprofessional. Any guidance? Here's my tweet with the invoice: https://twitter.com/brianburton445/status/1297487709775241218

I've already contacted my attorney and media outlets. Not sure what else to do other than to sue and look for damages.

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brian1646 Why on earth were Airbnb involved in the gas leak in the first place. Without seeing the full invoice its rather hard to say if they are being fair or not.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Brian1646 

This is an invoice i found somewhere on the internet

2020-08-23 Invoice smith.jpg

This is a logo I found somewhere on the internet

2020-08-23 logo smith.jpg

Now I'm inserting the logo into the invoice with Photoshop

2020-08-23 Invoice with Logo.jpg

Now You can send the invoice to airbnb.

@Ute42 🤣🤣🤣

@Ann72   

In order to fully understand the situation, You need to know how this post came into being.

When I first published my post, both the logo and the invoice were clearly visible, You could read everything which Mike and Jane did. They wrote to me (see their post below)

• „I am sorry but thats not going to work. It was a gas repair not a car repair“

That is true, this thread is about a gas repair and my then clearly visible invoice was for a car repair. But when I was searching the internet I thought who cares what kind of invoice that is for my logo tutorial, what does that matter?

But maybe Mike and Jane are right and it does matter. So I called my attorney to discuss the issue and he sayed what I'm doing may be fraudulent. Bc I'm encouraging a fellowhost in public to scam airbnb with a carrepair invoice for a gasleak.

So I went back to rework 3 pictures with a gaussian blur brush in Photoshop. Legally I'm now ok, but noone can read anything anymore which makes me look stupid.

All that happened within 45 minutes.

@Ute42  That makes everything better.  I'll tell you why:

Reading this thread last night, I was struck by the fact that all the men were like this:

THIS SHOULD WORK.  WE ARE DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY.  WORK, DAMMIT.  WHY WON'T YOU WORK.

And all the women were like this:

They want a logo, fine, here's a logo.

I asked myself why this was.

For how many centuries have women done things according to the rules only to be told by men that, nope, not going to work, because I just changed the rules specifically to prevent things from working for you.

At this point, @Ute42 @Sarah977 @Emilia42 and I would have gotten our refund (if of course something like a house repair was covered by Airbnb).  The boys would still be on hold.

@Ann72   Nailed it!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann72 So sexist...so true

@Mike-And-Jane0  It takes a big man to see it 🙂

@Ann72  Hilarious. I ran into that a lot when I was building my house here in Mexico. The male workers kept telling me that things I wanted to do or was doing would never work, simply because they weren't used to doing them that way. They told me the little rock shower surround would all crack and fall apart because I wasn't using enough cement in the mix (they use way too much). They told me my mosaic walkway would all crack and fall apart because I set the tile pieces in sand, instead of pouring a concrete base. All of what I did is still rock solid, without a crack. There are cracks all over in the work they did.

The fact that I'd done a bunch of rock and tile work when I lived in Canada, and wasn't some novice to the process, which I told them, didn't matter. I couldn't possibly know what I was doing.

At one point I was thinking of starting a women's construction company here, as there are lots of single women here who have houses built for themselves. Men could be employed for the heavy work as long as they would take orders from a woman. But women would be in charge of the building project and the detail work. And when the client said they wanted this or that, the answer would be along the lines of - Sure, we could do that, let's see how we can make that work, rather than That will never work.

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Ute42 

Do you know if Airbnb verifies the contractor invoices? what if it finds the logo is inserted?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Err @Ute42 I am sorry but thats not going to work. It was a gas repair not a car repair.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian1646   Airbnb doesn't pay for home maintenance and repairs. I can't fathom why you think they would. If a guest caused damage, that's different.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sarah977 I am under the impression that Airbnb has paused @Brian1646 's listing because of the gas leak. He needs to prove to Airbnb that it was fixed. 

@Brian1646 You have to play their game. I would literally have your plumber guy draw a circle around his initials and maybe draw a little wrench in the corner. Then upload it to the invoice and submit it.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

A simple phone call to the repairer by Airbnb would solve the matter in one nano-second and Brian could move on. How did Airbnb even become aware of it @Brian1646 ?