Airbnbmag

Airbnbmag

Want to know how your fees are being used?  This is one way: https://www.wsj.com/articles/airbnb-teams-with-hearst-on-magazine-guided-by-travel-sites-data-149389...

16 Replies 16

When the creators sat for the forum at Airbnb Open, didn't they talk about spending money on transparency and better communication with hosts?  Is this what they meant?  Because I have a really hard time believing I would ever buy this magazine for any reason.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 So all those guidebooks weren't really for the sake of our listings or for the sake of our guests but are just some big data mining mission?

be careful what you search for, we're all being tracked.....

If you are one of the 200,000, you will get it for free, @Alice-and-Jeff0... Thanks for posting this. Interesting reading!

Mine went straight into the trash. Useless.

Elvina0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO CANCEL THIS MAGAZINE I NEVER ASKED FOR THAT IS AWFUL FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?!?!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Elvina0,

Lovely to meet you and thanks for your post here.

Starting in Jan 2019, hosts in the US have been given a free one-year subscription for the Airbnb Magazine, and so this is why you are receiving it. You can certainly opt-out of receiving this thought, if you take a look at this Airbnb Help Center article, you will find at a link to the Airbnb Magazine page. Here you can log-in and opt-out of receiving this. 

Aside from this, it would be great to hear your ideas of how the Airbnb Magazine can be more environmentally friendly. I'm personally trying to improve and reduce my enviromental impact at the moment and if you explore the Community Center here, you will find some interesting discussions on going plastic free. It would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences on this. 

I hope this helps and I hope to speak with you again.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Your cancellation page is not user friendly so it did not work for me on multiple attempts.

Can you or someone PLEASE cancel?

We literally got a BOX of these magazines at multiple locations. We do not want any more and threw them in the recycling, please can someone just go to my username and press cancel?

In the future PLEASE ASK BEFORE sending a box of magainzes to someone's home. We are green environmentalists and don't put magazines out so this was a bad surprised. Actually, ask if you even send one but at least I can write "return to sender on one" I cannot return to sender a heavy box of magazines.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Elvina0,

Thanks for your reply and for letting me know about this. I'm going to pass on your feedback here.

In the meantime, it might be quicker for you to send an email to subscriptions@airbnbmag.com (also mentioned in the article I mention above), to inform them you wish to not receive these. 

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

The way to be more environmentally friendly is to NOT send people magazines they did not ask for.  It is NOT easy to unsubscribe because, despite the instructions on the website, there is not an account number on my address label, so I have not been able to "login" in order to "opt-out."

The label shown on the linked page above that shows how to log in is NOT the same as the label on my magazine. Therefore, it is impossible to figure out what my account number actually is, so I can log in and cancel. Please tell EXACTLY where to find the account label, and what it looks like - how many digits? all numbers? all letters? etc.

@Lizzie   "You can certainly opt-out of receiving this " 

Many countries have stricter privacy laws than here,  they mandate transparency and choice, default opt-in is illegal, and devious (a word used by my lawyer).  But even here, see FB and other companies taken to task for lack of transparency with default opt-in—data grab.

Opt-out is also onerous.  First you have to sign up for an account, in this case at Hearst Media, and agree to all sorts of terms and sharing of information and only when you have done that can you remove yourself from the list,  but not your data and information from their mine.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ange2,

Thanks for your reply.

As I understand it, if you have provided your address and agreed to receive correspondence from Airbnb in your Settings, then hosts based in the US will be eligible to receive this benefit. Hopefully many hosts will enjoy receiving this magazine (I know there were a couple of hosts asking for this as a possible Superhost benefit here in the CC). 

To add, hosts wanting to not receive this can also send an email to subscriptions@airbnbmag.com,  (more details of this can be found in the Help Center article I mention above). 

I hope this helps to provide more information.

Lizzie

--------------------

@Lizzie    Thanks. I am not questioning its value,  but I would have liked to opt-in instead of having to opt-out, I already receive a mountain of uninvited, non-recyclable paper in the post.

As for default agreement to receive,  maybe it is in the terms and conditions because re: receiving promotions and emails  (I didn't see anything about postal service deliveries) I have not checked the boxes to say yes,  okay.  

promotions.png

Harshan0
Level 2
Austin, TX

AIRBNB MAG? WHAT? this is the most awful idea Airbnb came up with .. sell a magazine to hosts.. waste of paper,  I send 4 copies to trash did not know how to cancel it until recently, anyway, that is a separate website site contracted that is badly designed, without any knowledgeable people to handle customer service. It is even hard to find your account there let alone cancel a subscription. Anyway, I managed to send them a note that I do not want their crap magazine. That is all that you can do there. Since I am hosting 3 rooms in one house I get 3  copies. How about that for wastage?  on top of that with worthless articles. In this modern digital age sending a telephone catalog to millions? the guys who came up this idea is seeing money being collected from us for this worthless crap of a magazine. I cry for the trees that are destroyed to make this colossal mess of nature for money for some crazy individuals.