Alberta Related Messages for Hosts (Edmonton and Calgary)

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Alberta Related Messages for Hosts (Edmonton and Calgary)

Since there are no communities setup yet for Edmonton and Calgary, feel free to post your comments, questions and stories here.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

3 Replies 3
Corey-and-Darrell0
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Hello

We own 3 Airbnb condo properties in Edmonton, AB Canada and we are having difficuty finding an insurance company that will insure us given we operate solely an Airbnb rental. They deem the property as high risk and commercial. Does anyone have any recommendations on an insurance compnay or broker that would insure Airbnb style rentals?

thank you

Hey @Corey-and-Darrell0,

Have you tried Square One? https://www.squareoneinsurance.ca/vacation-property-insurance

I actually got a quote from them and it seemed quite high though.

I recently took a risk and met with my insurance company and my agent sent in a referral for me to Aviva and surprisingly they gave me an endorsement and it only cost me an extra $200 per year.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Nayeem1
Level 1
Edmonton, Canada

After 5 years of zero complaints operations, my neighbours ganged up to oppose the Development Permit renewal. They appealed the permit and the Appeal Board has heard the case. I presented my case. Although there had been no issues whatsoever they just don't like strangers coming to our Cul-de-sac.

If the Appeal board declines my permit I'm done. City of Edmonton allows B&B and I have been operating with a licence. I don't want to do anything illigal. This ruling will set a dangerous precedent in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada that a Airbnb can't legally operate in the city neighbourhood. 

Anyone has had any issues like this in Edmonton?