Allowing Guests to use a Bike

Arielle1
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Allowing Guests to use a Bike

I have 2 bikes that allow guests to use but I just thought about the liability for this. Does anyone have insight? If they are hurt while using the bike, can they sue me? Should I have them sign a liability waiver to use it? What if my bike is damaged by them?  Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

In London we have government bikes to rent and leave any bike station maybe safer if you have such a thing

in spain no problem.. we lend 11 bikes at our airbnb countryhouse. and when someone falls its his her fault..

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Arielle1

Thats a very good question.

The answer is yes...the guests could sue you if they fall off and hurt themselves.  Ok, wait, let me rephrase this.  yes, they can TRY and sue you, but they probably won't win.  hahaha  (I doubt they would even find a lawyer to take the case)

If they get injured on your property walking, they could sue too, but that's what homeowner insurance is about.  But definitely check your policy to see what it says about a "paid" guests getting injured on your property.  Personal guest and business is two different animals in the eyes of the law.

IF it makes you feel better, you can download a liability waiver from any of the free websites and have them sign it. (which every bike company in Honolulu does).  But as I tell every guests who checks into my house, and stays with us, and borrows our bikes...its their responsibility to ride safely, follow our city laws, use the helmets we provide and ride at their own risk.  Also, please add it to your rules (as I have done) that any damage to our bikes, is the sole resposibility of the guests.  Make sure to take photos, videos and report the damage immediatly to Airbnb.  There is a short timeframe to do so.

Please be sure to add the bikes to your house inventory.  Airbnb has a feature that all guests have to click on saying they understand they will have to pay for any damage to a host home under the guidelines with their security deposit.   I suggest you add the bikes as inventory to your home as I have done.  Also, have you taken the time to read the terms and conditions of the Airbnb platform as a host and as a guest?  I highly recommend this to help you understand more of what liability Airbnb hosts and guests have when staying in your property.  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Where do we find this feature to inventory? I do not see that anywhere on my hosting side

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Arielle1 @Momi0 @Sara2 Hi there Arielle, Regardless of what insurance cover you have you must understand that the Liability component of that cover will only have effect within the boundaries of the insured property. It is NOT like motor vehicle insurance. I am not sure that 'damage waivers' would stand up in a court of law in all instances, I feel there could always be an element of challenge that could be expensive to contest, although @Momi0 with her legal background would be best suited to answer that.

If you allow guests to ride your bikes around your local community the guest could be sued for damages caused, be they material or personal physical! And you could be attached to any action because you provided the guest with access to the equipment that caused that damage or injury!

@Sara2's suggestion is THE only safe option!.....Recommend the guests to a specific bicycle hire shop or company who have the appropriate business insurance and save yourself a lot of potential heartache.  

Arielle, I hope that is of help to you....cheers.....Rob

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Arielle @Robin4 I had not realised you are in LA Arielle but here in London you can rent a government bike set up all over town in blue racks I have seen them in Paris too so they can leave them in any other government rack and say walk on to dinner or theatre without the hassle of bringing them home they are called Boris Bikes in London Robin is so right about the insurance and foreign tourists would be in danger on our roads as they are the "wrong" side let them check out local systems in your town also those very dangerous kids scooters that are around a lot ; don't ever lend those to other people's children.   Big liability.

@Robin4 @Sara2 @Arielle1  I just love waking up to see other hosts help another hosts with their concerns and advice. 

First, Its important to find out what your city zoning laws are about riding bikes.  

This community wall is about getting ideas and suggestions from everyone....It is the responsibility of the host who posted the comment to judge what suits her situation best.  I'm sure @Arielle1 is like me and wants to offer something to a guest that could save them money and provide a service that is helpful to their stay.  

@Arielle1 YOU do what makes you feel comfortable.  But its great that you posted the concern as its something you do need to think about.  AND...as I said in my earlier post, be aware of your homeowners insurance policy, are you providing helmets (its a law in our state), consider the liability waiver form which you are absolutely in your right to draft and have them sign.  I do with every single guests.  And not one guest has had an issue signing it. (Also, in Hawaii, bikes must be registered or the person riding will get a ticket and must be equipped with a light if bike is ridden after sunset hours.)  Educate yourself on being a responsible bike owner who is thinking about lending a bike as you could receive the fine ticket too.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Justin47
Level 3
Tucson, AZ

Hi Arielle, I have thought about this as well and decided to not have bike lending as part of my listing.  The main reason is for peace of mind.  I recently was involved in a hit and run while on my bicycle.  The ER visit alone was over $27,000 (and this was just to re-locate my arm).  All said and done with rotator cuff surgery, $81,000.  Luckily I had insurance.  The point is that I do not in any way want to be involved in any claim by a guest due to an injury while using a bicycle that belongs to me. Medical expenses are ridiculously high, and the litigation involved to get this kind of money could be life wrecking.  Most of my guests are not familiar with the area, so the odds of an accident are even greater.  I instead recommend a great bike rental shop where they will get a bike that they want and that fits them rented by professionals.  This seems to be effective.

Cheers

Superhosting Tucson
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnu1E2HfIhPYzmpAWX6tKxw