Alterative request - want to leave early with refund

Bing53
Level 2
Canmore, Canada

Alterative request - want to leave early with refund

Dear hosts,

We just had a 3-nights guest who had stayed 2 nights but submitted an alteration request for leaving early with refund. She said she had a family emergency and had to go home early then requested last night reimbursement.

I first expressed my sympathy and let her contact with Airbnb. The guest did not contact Airbnb, instead she submitted an alteration request to change her stays from 3 nights to 2 nights. She asked for my approval by saying this was instructed by Airbnb website.

I was worried she would left a bad review if I didn't accept the request. And also I did not believe this alterative request would be allowed by Airbnb during her stays. However, it did work! And the guest got full night refunds from Airbnb including tax and service fee refund. 

This was so incredible! It was total conflicted with our moderate cancellation policy. It seems like a loophole or bug existing on Airbnb! For guest who'd like to leave early whatever for what reason, Airbnb should not allow guest use Alteration feature to play games to both hosts and Airbnb.

Guests who want to leave early should use cancellation feature. At least, the host can get back 50% for unspent nights. See policy below.

Moderate

• Guests can cancel until 5 days before check-in for a full refund, and you won’t be paid
  • If they cancel after that, you’ll be paid for each night they stay, plus 1 additional night, plus 50% for all unspent nights

Just wonder if other hosts have similar cases like this. How do you deal with it? For me, it is a lesson to learn. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

8 Replies 8
Bing53
Level 2
Canmore, Canada

If the family emergency situation is true, we are totally fine with a full refund. If some guests use this feature to play game, that really cannot accept it. However, how will you tell it is true or not true? Can I request guest to provide supporting documents?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

But @Bing53, Airbnb didn’t force you to accept

the change request. You could have instructed the guest to cancel, which would have been appropriate. It seems you accepted the request to avoid a bad review. That’s your choice. Not necessarily a bad one. It was only one night lost, and hopefully another good review earned, for your troubles. Perhaps the guest was being genuine, and you’ve earned some goodwill. 

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

You can always override the Airbnb policy you choose, especially if it’s in the guest’s favor, and that is what you did by accepting the alteration request. Like you said, consider this a lesson learned. You are pretty much on your own after the booking process is complete, and you must be diligent and protective of your own business. This applies to everything from refunds to House Rule compliance to whom you accept as guests.

Thank you Pat! Yes this is a lesson we learned. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Bing53we just had this happen. Guest cancelled at the last minute due to a sick toddler. She got reimbursed for the first night due to our cancellation policy and we kept the fees for the remaining nights. It was too late to rebook as we don't take last minute reservations. Things happen. Next time just ask the guest to cancel.

Thank you Laura. You are on the right track.

@Laura2592  Which cancellation policy reimburses the first night but not subsequent nights? 

@Pat271 whatever we have! Lol. I think we have moderate.  She was less than 24 hours from the beginning of her stay so I don't know if that made the difference.