Am I wasting my time with Airbnb

Am I wasting my time with Airbnb

I have a lovely apartment in Barbados which I've rented out with reasonable success over the past 6 years. 

I joined Airbnb last November to see if I could supplement bookings I get from my managing agent. 

However, all I seem to attract are time-wasters. Either they express interest in times which are already booked out on the Airbnb calender or they get me double checking dates are free, agree in principle to the booking only to hear no more from them.

It doesn't help that any communication with Airbnb admin. seems nigh on impossible.

Any useful feedback/tips before I decide whether to call it a day?

Thanks

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert5749 Have you got your listings set up correctly? Assuming the 2bed/1 bed are the same apartment then the calendars do not seem to be properly linked.

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0. Thanks for responding. The problem on that aspect seems to be the availability is ok on our listing but some guests seem to see something else (glitch with Airbnb site?) or maybe they looked a few days ago and things have changed  It also seems some people indicate interest on a whim without first checking availability.

Regards, Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert5749  Yes, many inquirers are time wasters you never hear back froom again. It's just part and parcel of what hosts have to deal with.

Your listing description is really incomplete- you have given very little information about your offering. You haven't described the place itself at all. I would suggest you go back and edit your listing, filling out all the provided fields, and market towards the type of guests who would be a good fit. 

Also, the condo rules should be provided in your listing ad, not just tell prospective guests they will be found in the unit. 

Hello Sarah and thank you for your comments. Given I've completed most of the topics included in the Airbnb template and added photos what more do you think I should be saying? Do you not think adding a 50 page set of condo rules could put people off?

Regards, Rob

@Robert5749  True, a 50 page set of condo rules is not something you would send to guests. But it's hard to imagine that 50 pages are required to let guests know what the condo rules are. Could you not just list the ones that would be applicable to guests in simple bullet point form? You could still have the official rule book in the unit itself. 

The point is, you can't expect guests to conform to rules that were not made clear when they booked.

It was your 4 bedroom listing I was looking at that has an incomplete  description.

And you shouldn't show a photo of a table set for 4 on your 2 bedroom listing. Nor say it has a "family bathroom", when a 2 person listing isn't catering to families.( I don't even know what that means- I have never heard of a "family bathroom")

Your photo galleries are also quite incomplete. You don't show the bathroom, the patios you mention, nor the kitchen.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look at other people's listings from other people to get an idea of what you are missing.

You have no descriptions of rooms in your listing and the amenities you have.

Talk about who your property is most suitable for in terms of guests.

You need to talk about what facilities are within walking distance, about local attractions (apart from the beaches) how far from the airport.